Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2018-19 Detroit Red Wings

The kids spent most of the night hemmed in their own zone, two-thirds of the lower bowl empty and another OT loss. Which rebuilding team will reach .500 1st, Tigers or Wings?

I think we will be pleasantly surprised by the team this year. They shouldn't be making the playoffs, but development of young talent should lead to improvements next year. By the end of the year we will be working in our last two top ten picks and Larkin should solidify himself as a 70-80+ point player.

Getting through the season and releasing ourselves from Howard's contract will allow us to utilize his veteran presence then be free to spend more in free agency next season.

Much like the Tigers, it is going to be a year of growing pains. They are going to lose some games they should win, but surprise some teams they have no business being on the ice with.

Why don't the Wings, or any other team for that matter, give an offer sheet to Nylander of the Leafs? He's holding out for somewhere around 8 million and the Leafs are apparently offering 6.5. The Leafs backed themselves into a corner when they signed Tavares for 11 million per and probably don't have cap room for Marner, Mathews and Nylander. The Wings got screwed by Karmanos with Federov but nobody seems willing to give offer sheets anymore. The Wings have cap room, definitely need stars and he's only 22 years old.

Meanwhile, my Vegas Golden Knights, last year's surprise team, is off to a nasty start [[1-4 at this writing). I fear last year's run was a fluke. Sorry for the threadjack.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Why don't the Wings, or any other team for that matter, give an offer sheet to Nylander of the Leafs? He's holding out for somewhere around 8 million and the Leafs are apparently offering 6.5. The Leafs backed themselves into a corner when they signed Tavares for 11 million per and probably don't have cap room for Marner, Mathews and Nylander. The Wings got screwed by Karmanos with Federov but nobody seems willing to give offer sheets anymore. The Wings have cap room, definitely need stars and he's only 22 years old.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ayers-get-one/ -- Would you part with 2 first rounders, a second, a third, and 8 million for the next 7 years for Nylander? Toronto would likely match it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789 View Post
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ayers-get-one/ -- Would you part with 2 first rounders, a second, a third, and 8 million for the next 7 years for Nylander? Toronto would likely match it anyway.
    Thanks for that. I didn't realize there was draft pick compensation. It might make sense for a contending team but certainly not the Wings. Either way, the Leafs are asking all their young stars to take a haircut and I don't think it's going to happen.