Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hojnacki View Post
    the article might mention it, but I thought I read somewhere or was told it they wanted to move the statues to Wayne State but obviously that has never happened.
    If you're talking about the Fantastic Four, they're still out there...

https://newsroom.wayne.edu//news/201...mpus-home-6558

Yes, Melchers' 4 sculptures of Detroit pioneers ended up OK.

[[picture from article linked by dtowncitylover above, which also has a brief and interesting history of the sculptures)

Most of the other parts of City Hall though, including the allegorical "maiden" sculptures and the clock faces, didn't end up so well.

Incidentally, Julius T. Melchers' house is still standing on Seyburn in the West Village.

His perhaps more famous son, Gari Melchers [[Julius Garibaldi Melchers), was one of the most important American artists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and has a museum dedicated to his work at his former estate in Falmouth VA. In Detroit, several of his works are in the DIA collection, and his murals can be seen at the Main Library.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It was a strange time in America. A building built 100 years earlier was seen by many leaders as hopelessly obsolete. I don't know that this would happen today. It would not be as easily done.
    It is still happening. Even something as recent as Philip Johnson's post-modern AT&T building [[550 Madison Avenue) is being greatly altered. We tear down significant Brutalist buildings because "that stuff is ugly", but that's exactly what folks in the post-war era thought of Victorian architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    It is still happening. Even something as recent as Philip Johnson's post-modern AT&T building [[550 Madison Avenue) is being greatly altered.
    550 Madison was recently landmarked, so there will be no major alterations.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Yes, Melchers' 4 sculptures of Detroit pioneers ended up OK.

[[picture from article linked by dtowncitylover above, which also has a brief and interesting history of the sculptures)

Most of the other parts of City Hall though, including the allegorical "maiden" sculptures and the clock faces, didn't end up so well.
    Here is Charles Kotcher Cleaning the clock
    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...wilson-kotcher. Another article I'll post talks about how it stopped working after it was cleaned and it was the second largest clock in the world after London's Big Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    550 Madison was recently landmarked, so there will be no major alterations.
    Right, although the designation came too late to save the lobby.

i thought some of the ornate statuary ended up in a heap at Fort Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    i thought some of the ornate statuary ended up in a heap at Fort Wayne
    Perhaps you saw this article:

https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/h...nt?oid=2179142

I personally got a good long look at the statuary when it was in a shambles behind the fort. I went back several years ago and the historical society had secured them indoors.

Here is the builder of the clocks though I read somewhere they were crafted in Chicago? Not sure. He died in 1929.
    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...albert-fischerName:  ALBERT FISCHER CLOCK BUILDER.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  149.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    His perhaps more famous son, Gari Melchers [[Julius Garibaldi Melchers), was one of the most important American artists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and has a museum dedicated to his work at his former estate in Falmouth VA. In Detroit, several of his works are in the DIA collection, and his murals can be seen at the Main Library.
    We visited the Gari Melchers estate Belvoir in Falmouth, VA a few years ago. Amazing site! You can see his studio and his gallery space, both filled with his beautiful paintings! And you can tour his home as well as walk about the estate gardens. If you ever get the chance to visit, you won't regret it!!

The movement from the old city hall tower clock.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Where is it at now?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hojnacki View Post
    Where is it at now?
    In storage at the Detroit Historical Society's Resource Collections Center.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2