Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Legendary Detroit Police Officer Jack O'Kelley "Rotation Slim".

Some interesting articles on Jack O'Kelley "Rotation Slim" We hear his nickname mentioned in the media and the Detroit Free Press had some good articles on him back in the day. It would have been interesting if he had done an interview on television or wrote a book. Some old school police work here. Name:  rotationslim3.JPG
Views: 1051
Size:  42.8 KB

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...s-o'kelley

Good job finding his grave site, Mike; I tried but struck out. Flower added to his memorial.

Thanks, Ray, it took me a while to find it but eventually I did. I had these articles for years except for one and wanted to put them up somewhere. Again Thanks for the note on the memorial.

Former police chief [[and dear friend from way back) "Ike" McKinnon wrote of his experiences with "Rotation Slim" in a book he wrote a long time ago; I'm sure I have it somewhere here but I can't put my finger on it. It was compelling reading.

How and why did he get the nickname Rotation Slim?

If an individual or a group was loitering at a corner or in front of a building, the black Plymouth would pull to the curb, the window would roll down and he would say "I am going to circle around the block and if you're still here I am going to kick your a**". And when he drove around the second time they were gone. Some of it's in the articles on the memorial. Also he had a slim build at 6'5.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hojnacki View Post
    If an individual or a group was loitering at a corner or in front of a building, the black Plymouth would pull to the curb, the window would roll down and he would say "I am going to circle around the block and if you're still here I am going to kick your a**". And when he drove around the second time they were gone. Some of it's in the articles on the memorial. Also he had a slim build at 6'5.
    Sounds like he was a real piece of work......

He was typically involved in the most dangerous raids, back in the day when knife crimes were common. He had been shot at, slashed, bitten, attacked. I don't believe they had SWAT back then, that came later and he was always the first to enter the hideout. I have a pic of him I'll be posting soon, he was 38 at the time in uniform in 1961.