Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Are they a decent brand these days? I see lots of MKZs and MKCs on the road, and they seem to be driven by soccer mom types, not retirees. Obviously they don't have the status of MB or Audi, but still pretty nice cars?
    Nice car, but I think they made the higher end Fusion and Taurus too nice, and hurt sales. Not a huge difference between the two, except price and a logo.
    Last edited by EGrant; September-28-18 at 12:04 PM.

What do people think about Lincoln compared to Cadillac and the foreign luxury brands?

My brother almost bought an MKZ. He claims it was pretty comparable to luxury equivalents, but I always think of Lincolns as old man cars, kinda like nicer Buicks.

Are they a decent brand these days? I see lots of MKZs and MKCs on the road, and they seem to be driven by soccer mom types, not retirees. Obviously they don't have the status of MB or Audi, but still pretty nice cars?
    Luxury today means Bentley, Roll-Royce, Maybach, Lamborghini and such company--cars priced far, far beyond their functional value that clearly state, "I have money to burn."

If I were a cynic I'd guess that some Cadillac employees just wanted to move to Manhattan, so they concocted a business case for moving their HQ there.

Ford Motor Company made the same mistake in 1998 when they moved their Lincoln HQ to Irvine, California. Didn't work for Lincoln just like it didn't work for Cadillac.

In 1998, according to Automotive News, Ford believed l
    ocating their marketing decision makers in the California luxury market was the only way Lincoln and Mercury brands could make a sustained comeback. They moved everyone back sometime around 2003.
    Last edited by Pat001; September-29-18 at 09:00 AM.

A bunch of yokels trying to act like big city hot shots. Cadillac hasn't been cool since the Brougham. They should just kill it. I don't think anybody outside of Oakland County or Grosse Pointe drives them anymore.

Yeah, kill it when it's showing tons of global sales growth. Clearly just Grosse Pointers in disguise! #detroityeslogic

I have two friends who spend the winters in FL; both have Bentleys they keep down there. The cheapest [[least expensive) starts at $178,000. Both of my friends wear Rolexes, so that tells you all you need to know.

My wife keeps a 2009 Caddy in FL, with 45,000 miles on it. Runs as well [[great) as the day she drove it out of the showroom. It's parked in our condo garage next to another owner's Bentley, of which there are many in the area.)

I have spent a lot of time in Texas. Most of the people I know down there and was in business with could drive any vehicle they want; every one of them like everyone else drives a pickup truck. Those wanting to put on airs tend to buy a Ford F-150 King Ranch version. Or a Ford 150 with a Harley Davidson sound package. [[People get in bar fights over the merits of Ford vs Chevy; Rams don't factor in because there are hardly any down there.)

Anyone driving a Mercedes et al in North Texas would quickly become an object of ridicule. All hat and no cattle.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    Anyone driving a Mercedes et al in North Texas would quickly become an object of ridicule. All hat and no cattle.
    I don't doubt there are tons of MB [[and Audi and BMW) drivers in the Dallas region.

It's the suburban pickup drivers who are funny, when you can tell they blew 50k on an uncomfortable, loud, bumpy work vehicle and don't actually haul stuff, all to look like Boomhauer in King of the Hill. Just add a MAGA sticker, oversize tires and a pair of truck nuts for maximum douchiness.

Pickups are a joke unless you need them for work.
    Last edited by Bham1982; September-28-18 at 02:59 PM.

It's apparent that you haven't ridden in a pickup in years. I could afford any vehicle I want and for years I have driven pickups [[GMCs). They are very comfortable, and very safe. They have all the luxury feature one could want and are able to pay for. And nitwit drivers in little sports cars tend not to cut me off on the highway.

When's the last time you checked pickup prices?

My daughter drives a $70,000 Chevy Suburban. My GMC Sierra is substantially identical except it has a pickup bed rather than a third row of seats. Same V-8 engine, drive train, 4WD etc. And it costs me $45,000, loaded.

I'm sure there are quite a few MBs in Dallas but they are driven by Yankee transplants who are mid-level employees who work for somebody else and who don't know any better.

True Texans don't have to impress anybody.

What do people think about Lincoln compared to Cadillac and the foreign luxury brands?
    I drove Cadillacs for 29 years, and my XTS was the last straw. While they have been reliable cars, the current generation of sedans rides very hard, almost like a Jeep. I want the cushy land yacht ride, and there is no current Cadillac that offers that.

Got a Lincoln Continental a few months back. The ride is good, not great like an S-class. The car is impressively high tech. The only downside is that one has to wait 1-2 weeks for a service appointment at the dealership. With Cadillac the wait was never more than one day.

I like Cadillac. I have designed major components for it and understand how GM specifications outweigh those of foreign cars in the same class such as Mercedes. I currently own a Mercedes and would not buy another one again. Also have a Jeep that's licking 250K miles and just will not die. Recently sold a Ferrari that would cry if you looked at it wrong
    Point is, American cars are amongst the best in quality. Style is subjective so.....

I want the cushy land yacht ride, and there is no current Cadillac that offers that.

The CT6 is Caddy's flagship sedan. It rides on a 122.4 wheelbase, and is 205 inches long. Isn't that comparable in size to some Cadillac's of yesteryear? I don't mean the behemoth's of the 50's, 60's and early 70's.

My brother almost bought an MKZ. He claims it was pretty comparable to luxury equivalents, but I always think of Lincolns as old man cars, kinda like nicer Buicks.

Lincoln's are nice cars, but they've always played 2nd fiddle to Cadillac. Cadillac routinely, outsells them every year. The Escalade is the luxury SUV of choice, among most than the Navigator.

So let me get this straight, instead of staying in fashionable Manhattan, or making a difference in Detroit like many other companies trying to attract talent, they instead choose to relocate to a former ad agency building in Warren of all places. Not a cool Manhattan like presence in Downtown Detroit, they instead pick the asphalt jungle of lower Warren? This company is so irrelevant and keeps doing things to shoot itself in the foot and set itself back. This boggles my mind to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    So let me get this straight, instead of staying in fashionable Manhattan, or making a difference in Detroit like many other companies trying to attract talent, they instead choose to relocate to a former ad agency building in Warren of all places. Not a cool Manhattan like presence in Downtown Detroit, they instead pick the asphalt jungle of lower Warren? This company is so irrelevant and keeps doing things to shoot itself in the foot and set itself back. This boggles my mind to no end.

You do know the GM Tech Center and the Warren Technical Center are both in Warren?

I never understood Cadillac's move to New York in the first place. If Mercedes moves its head office from boring old Stuttgart to hip Berlin, will that do anything to sales numbers? What luxury auto buyer bases any part of his what-brand-to-buy decision on what city the maker's head office is in?
    Last edited by Király; October-01-18 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    I never understood Cadillac's move to New York in the first place. If Mercedes moves its head office from boring old Stuttgart to hip Berlin, will that do anything to sales numbers? What luxury auto buyer bases any part of his what-brand-to-buy decision on what city the maker's head office is in?
    I know what you’re saying but that example would not be an accurate comparison. Now if Daimler’s Smart Car devision was relocated out of Stuttgart, which it is, that would be more accurate.
    Anyway, I’d agree with a previous poster. Based on perception alone, it should have been relocated to Downtown Detroit with a huge Cadillac sign signifying its presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You do know the GM Tech Center and the Warren Technical Center are both in Warren?
    No kidding!?

I suppose next, you're going to tell me that the GM Headquarters and the Renaissance Center are both in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    It's not like they moved the engineers; it was just the design and marketing folks. The NYC area is the largest luxury auto market on earth, but the U.S. brands have poor penetration, so they probably wanted a bigger piece of that pie.

And Stuttgart-Berlin isn't really a good comparison, as Stuttgart is generally richer and more cosmopolitan [[but not hipper) than Berlin. Stuttgart is undoubtedly a bigger luxury car market than Berlin.

Yeah I'm aware of that and it's not sn 'answer' to anything. The GM tech center isn't in Manhattan either but Detroit is closer to it than NY. I thought the whole purpose of the move was to seem like they're trendy and to recruit young Talent. How do you achieve this in Asphalt hell In the center of Warren's fake downtown?
    GM is also headquartered in Detroit. by the argument that you using maybe they should pack the Renaissance Center up and move out to Warren also to be closer to the tech center

Yeah I'm aware of that and it's not sn 'answer' to anything. The GM tech center isn't in Manhattan either but Detroit is closer to it than NY. I thought the whole purpose of the move was to seem like they're trendy and to recruit young Talent. How do you achieve this in Asphalt hell In the center of Warren's fake downtown?
    GM is also headquartered in Detroit. by the argument that you using maybe they should pack the Renaissance Center up and move out to Warren also to be closer to the tech center

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    No kidding!?

I suppose next, you're going to tell me that the GM Headquarters and the Renaissance Center are both in Detroit.

The RenCen is the business end of GM. If you're going to do marketing, as in trying to sell Cadillacs, you might want to be next to where the designers are so you can see the latest incantations, and maybe give some input from a marketing standpoint. But what do I know, I'm no match for the rocket scientists on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post

See my response below yours.

Here is a 45 min vid on the history of Cadillac,pretty cool and touches on the Packard and Lincoln aspect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmMhCe4YR0

Pickups are a joke unless you need them for work.
    So, that's yet another case of 'all hat, no cattle' for Dallas drivers in pickups. Daimler and Bentley are another two luxury brands that rate a mention. Bentley seems to have introduced some cars in a lower price bracket. Daimlers are much rarer. There was a few when I lived in the UK [[London) but you don't see them elsewhere. They would probably be extremely rare in the US, and it's possible Daimler don't manufacture a left-hand drive vehicle.

My sainted mother, who will be 93 on her next birthday, really likes her Cadillac.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast