Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A made-in-Detroit basement find

Found this in the basement of an in-law that passed. It was new, in the box with scrolled braces, hardware and instructions, but has minor condition defects from being in a damp basement for decades. It had a Mohawk Lumber price sticker on it, so I'm guessing it's probably 1960s. The all-lower case lettering is post-1950s, I think.

See images below.

Does anyone know about Lee Silver? Finding info about it is close to a googlewhack. It was on Helen St. I mined some tidbits about it, such as being added to the Postmaster General's list of approved mailboxes [[1960).
    Last edited by goggomobil; September-26-18 at 03:21 PM.

Can't open the attachments. Says is invalid.

Name:  P_20180926_124656.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  90.7 KB
    Name:  P_20180926_124744_1.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  65.6 KB
    goggomobil
    Last edited by goggomobil; September-26-18 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added pix

I love it.! Looks like an old car head light.

You want to sell it? $150 ?

Not to threadjack, but I often wonder how many treasures of many kinds are hidden in some of the old houses of Detroit. My dream is to find a mason jar filled with gold coins. But I'd settle for a jar of Morgan silver dollars. [[All would have the "cc" mint mark, of course!)

It looks like a 1963 Evinrude mailbox. Cool find.

Very close in comparison.
    Last edited by Maof; September-26-18 at 06:13 PM.

Has that mid century look but 50s color?

Push the button at the flag for the booster rocket.

wonder if the lees silver service part comes in adding the brow and knob with silver plate versus chrome for anti corrosion?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You want to sell it? $150 ?
    Thanks, but we're probably going to have it refinished and then use it. We saw a weathered, used one sell on ebay for $288.

Hope you find a roll of uncirculated 1909 S VDBs, too!
    One of my in-laws buried his money in cans in his backyard after the banks failed in the 30s, so keep looking, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by goggomobil View Post
    Thanks, but we're probably going to have it refinished and then use it. We saw a weathered, used one sell on ebay for $288.
    That's very cool, but I'd be careful, if you decide to mount it on a post. Somebody get's wind of it being a antique, it could disappear. Not trying to discourage you, just saying... Didn't have to worry about stuff like that happening 50 yrs ago.

That is an awesome mailbox! Never seen one. I would NOT mount/use it. Maybe as a yard ornament closer to safety. Might want to research before refinishing. Sometimes worth more.

Ray1936: great thought! Imagine the stuff hidden in walls/rafters that coulda been bulldozed burned in all the years!
    Last edited by One Shot; September-26-18 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Not to threadjack, but I often wonder how many treasures of many kinds are hidden in some of the old houses of Detroit. My dream is to find a mason jar filled with gold coins. But I'd settle for a jar of Morgan silver dollars. [[All would have the "cc" mint mark, of course!)
    Here you go Ray. Best I could do on short notice, but straight from Carson City.

Name:  P7080825.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  59.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Here you go Ray. Best I could do on short notice, but straight from Carson City.

Name:  P7080825.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  59.1 KB
    Oh, how sweet they are!

I'm going to guess a bit earlier than 1960s. Going with 1957.

Ray.... here's a more recent treasure..... $$$$$$$

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Ty-bea...UAAOSwKqlbn5iV

Someone has a twisted sense of humor...

I found an 1800's medicine bottle at a barn sale. $2. The guy said he dug it out of an old outhouse pit, where somebody drank their medicine.
    It says Dr. Pierce's Golden Medical Discovery. [[Buffalo N.Y.)
    It holds more than a pint, and after SEVERAL washings, now holds my
    Golden Medical Discovery, [[80 proof Kentucky).

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    I'm going to guess a bit earlier than 1960s. Going with 1957.

Sorry, 1968 Evinrude...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-28-18 at 07:23 AM.

You know your Morgans! An uncirculated Carson City [[CC) can fetch a few hundred. Wish I had one!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

When I bought my current house,I was clearing the back lot forest with my truck and unearthed 6 1800s 99.9 % pure 1 ounce,no CC but gold was at the peak and after checking eBay I ended up selling for weight and getting more then what I paid for the house.

To even further threadjack,Mel Fisher holds all of the salvage rights for the coastline of Florida up to the Carolinas,you can metal detect on the beach but as soon as you step one foot in the water you are in violation.

Anyways,lots of ship wrecks and lots of divers you just cannot claim any bounty,but hurricane comes through and it is possible for the waves to unearth things up to shore.

2004 guy found 400 k worth of 1600s gold coins washed up on the beach after the hurricane.I wonder how long he had to wait for a hurricane to come along.

If you're treasure hunting in the water in southern Florida, you might be stepping on Mel Fisher's ashes. He's been dead for about 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by goggomobil View Post
    If you're treasure hunting in the water in southern Florida, you might be stepping on Mel Fisher's ashes. He's been dead for about 20 years.
    He can speak from the grave because his family still retains the salvage rights.

Queens Jewels acquired the United States Admiralty Custodianship to the fleet from the heirs of world-renowned treasure hunter, Mel Fisher. Together with sub-contractors such as the Schmitt family, the company says it believes it is closing in on treasure estimated to be worth $400 million.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/300-yea...facts-million/

It used to be If you found something you just had to report the location,now if you report it,it gets confiscated and they press charges,on the east coast LEO loves to sit in the parking lots with binoculars and watch the metal detectors,let one foot get kissed by a wave and it is a fine,easy money for them.

For anyone jealous of goggomobil's find, there's a company called Modbox that sells reproductions similar to this box.

Believe it or not I had a relative that passed a few years back that had a jar full of gold coins. When FDR recalled gold they refused to turn the coins in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast