Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mile Roads' other names?

Six Mile Road is also called McNichols Road. Two Mile Road is Joy Road [[I think). Can someone give me a list of the names for the others?

Is one road chosen/designated [[and renamed) as a 'Mile Road' roughly every mile as you head [[north?) out of Downtown?
    Last edited by night-timer; September-22-18 at 11:10 PM.

I've never heard of anything other than Joy Rd. The only ones I know of are:

Five Mile Rd outside the city and Fenkell inside.
    Six Mile Rd outside and McNichols/E. McNichols inside.
    Seven Mile Rd until it changes to Moross on the eastside.
    Eight Mile has a few names including Baseline Rd., but I can't recall the others.
    I seem to recall that Nine and Ten Mile have other names, but only for short distances.

And no, there is no relation to downtown that I know of.

Main article: Roads and freeways in metropolitan Detroit

• Ford Road [[equivalent of 0 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)
    • Warren Ave [[equivalent of 1 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)
    • Joy Road [[equivalent of 2 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)
    • Plymouth Road [[equivalent of 3 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)
    • Schoolcraft Road [[equivalent of 4 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_R...tem_[[Michigan)

Maple is 15 mile right? Big Beaver is.........?

Big Beaver AND Metro Parkway is 16 mile.

Is Long Lake 17 mile rd?

I've noticed over the past 10 years with speaking in person to people under 30 and from various YouTube videos from Detroit, most Detroiters under 30 are calling McNichols 6 mile rd and Fenkell 5 mile rd. Not sure why young Detroiters are switching over....

8 Mile is also Vernier going east
    6 Mile is also Seymour
    And:
    "When Detroit was settled, Campus Martius was deemed the center of town because it was where all of these main roads came together. It was the location of the first train station, city hall, and was deemed the starting point for the state's mile road system. The distance between the north end of Campus Martius Park.
    CREDIT GOOGLE

Because Campus Martius is on an angle, and Woodward Avenue is too, the mile roads are counted directly north from the park, and the roads run east and west. That makes Michigan Avenue "zero mile," and of course 8 Mile Road is eight miles away."
    http://www.michiganradio.org/post/8-...ht-miles-where
    Last edited by jcole; September-23-18 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    Big Beaver AND Metro Parkway is 16 mile.

Is Long Lake 17 mile rd?
    I've never known there to be an actual 16 Mile Road. In Macomb County it's known as Metro Parkway and in Oakland County it's called Big Beaver until it's west of Telegraph its name is changed to Quarton Road! Similarly, 18 Mile Road changes to Long Lake Road when entering Oakland County, 17 Mile is called Wattles Road, and 19 Mile Road is renamed Square Lake Road. Further north, 24 Mile, 25 Mile, 31-34 Mile Roads all change onece into Oakland County.

Quote Originally Posted by clubboss View Post
    Main article: Roads and freeways in metropolitan Detroit

• Ford Road [[equivalent of 0 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)
    • Warren Ave [[equivalent of 1 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)
    • Joy Road [[equivalent of 2 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)
    • Plymouth Road [[equivalent of 3 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)
    • Schoolcraft Road [[equivalent of 4 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)

There is a feeble argument for Cherry Hill Rd. to be Zero Mile because that forms the line where the addresses count up or down even though, if one on counts down from 8 Mile, its Minus One Mile Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Maple is 15 mile right? Big Beaver is.........?

Big Beaver and Metro Parkway are both 16 Mile Roads. Their names change in different 'burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Big Beaver and Metro Parkway are both 16 Mile Roads. Their names change in different 'burbs.
    I live near Big Beaver, and everyone around here just calls it 16 mile 'cause it's easier than saying Metro Parkway or Big Beaver or Quarton. Heck, technically Walnut Lake Road becomes 16 mile for a bit.

Fun fact - 15 mile has the longest uninterrupted run out west [[next to 8 mile) - all the way to Milford road. This was handy to know when I was trying to get to Brighton one morning and I-96 was closed due to a jackknifed semi.

In the Bloomfield area, all the mile roads from 15 to 20 are renamed.

Maple, Quarton, Lone Pine, Long Lake, Square Lake, and South Blvd., in order.

Also, 14 is a dirt road in parts and barely exists.

12 Mile through Royal Oak used to be called Oakwood Avenue.

I'm a millennial, Oakland County native. It's usually 15 Mile and not Maple but Big Beaver, Wattles, Long Lake, Square Lake, Auburn, South, and Tienken beyond that. But when speaking for Macomb County it's the mile name.

Easier for them to spell/text.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I've never heard of anything other than Joy Rd. The only ones I know of are:

Five Mile Rd outside the city and Fenkell inside.
    Six Mile Rd outside and McNichols/E. McNichols inside.
    Seven Mile Rd until it changes to Moross on the eastside.
    Eight Mile has a few names including Baseline Rd., but I can't recall the others.
    I seem to recall that Nine and Ten Mile have other names, but only for short distances.

And no, there is no relation to downtown that I know of.
    Technically, 7 Mile splits of from Moross and terminates at Kelly.

Also, McNichiols become Seymour east of Gratiot.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    6 Mile is also Seymour
    And:
    "When Detroit was settled, Campus Martius was deemed the center of town because it was where all of these main roads came together. It was the location of the first train station, city hall, and was deemed the starting point for the state's mile road system. The distance between the north end of Campus Martius Park.
    CREDIT GOOGLE

Because Campus Martius is on an angle, and Woodward Avenue is too, the mile roads are counted directly north from the park, and the roads run east and west. That makes Michigan Avenue "zero mile," and of course 8 Mile Road is eight miles away."
    http://www.michiganradio.org/post/8-...ht-miles-where
    8 mile is similar to 7 Mile, in that it splits off and terminates just east of Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Easier for them to spell/text.

The first settlers were really forward thinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Like others, I agree this is debatable. Some consider Vernier another name for 8 Mile, some say it's a different road, on a different angle, and that 8 Mile has been eliminated in places but still exists in vestiges East of Vernier along its due East-West route. I fall into the latter category, but we can both be right.
    Last edited by bust; September-23-18 at 04:45 PM.

Growing up the the 80s I'd heard Davison through Highland Park referred to as 4 Mile.

The way McNichols turns NE at Gunston, I'd say it's no longer 6 Mile, and Seymour is closer to being 6 1/2 Mile, but Spring Garden is closer to the true 6 1/2 Mile.

Houston Whittier is the true 6 Mile on the east side, and it even continues the same directional pattern as Moross and Vernier, although its name changes to Whittier.

But even though they are each a mile apart, Whittier, Moross and Vernier, while extensions of Mile Roads, really are not. As has been pointed out, 7 Mile and 8 Mile both continue on east past where Moross and Vernier start.

And I have no idea how 3 Mile Drive got its name.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    12 Mile through Royal Oak used to be called Oakwood Avenue.
    A lot of the mile roads had local names in the past. 11 Mile was First St. in Royal Oak. Nine Mile was Sycamore Ave. in Ferndale [[and Urban Rest, the old resort town at Hilton north of 9 Mile). 11 Mile was Town Hall Rd. in Roseville [[the Erin Twp. Town Hall was at the corner of Gratiot). Many other such local namings can be found on old maps.

But eventually it seems to have been generally agreed upon that mile roads from 7 to 14 would be known as "X Mile Rd." From there north though, there remains a plethora of local namings, although mostly in Oakland County. In Macomb the numbers seem to be mostly used, out to, what, 37 Mile?

Here can be found a somewhat erroneous and incomplete list of alternate names for the mile roads, old and current:
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-23-18 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Like others, I agree this is debatable. Some consider Vernier another name for 8 Mile, some say it's a different road, on a different angle, and that 8 Mile has been eliminated in places but still exists in vestiges East of Vernier along its due East-West route. I fall into the latter category, but we can both be right.
    That road, east of where most Eight Mile traffic swings onto Vernier, is locally called "Old Eight Mile".
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-23-18 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clubboss View Post
    Ford Road [[equivalent of 0 Mile Road, western city, suburbs)
    Ford Rd is basically on the same alignment as Michigan Ave. coming from Campus Martius downtown [[before Michigan swings southwesterly to head off into Dearborn and beyond). Which is why, when driving eastbound on Ford Rd. near Wyoming on a clear day, you can see downtown straight in front of you.

That's funny, when I lived on the East Side half the people I knew interchanged Vernier with 8-Mile, and the other half insisted they were different roads.

I wish planners would keep the name for the same road. Really, when 8-Mile curves into Vernier, you have to get off of 8-Mile/Vernier to get to East/Old 8-Mile. This is just confusing, especially if you aren't from the area. Highways I can see an argument for, but surface roads should have one name wherever possible.

Growing up at 7 and Kelly and going to high school at 8 and Kelly, we always just called them 7 and 8 Mile respectively all the way to at least Mack. So did the Mack and 7 shopping center. But technically, you are probably correct.

Springgarden dead ended behind Assumption Grotto, so taking Seymour from Denby area took you straight through to Gratiot without having to job over and you ended up on McNichols by the Ben Franklin Library; probably why we considered it the same road
    Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Growing up the the 80s I'd heard Davison through Highland Park referred to as 4 Mile.

The way McNichols turns NE at Gunston, I'd say it's no longer 6 Mile, and Seymour is closer to being 6 1/2 Mile, but Spring Garden is closer to the true 6 1/2 Mile.

Houston Whittier is the true 6 Mile on the east side, and it even continues the same directional pattern as Moross and Vernier, although its name changes to Whittier.

But even though they are each a mile apart, Whittier, Moross and Vernier, while extensions of Mile Roads, really are not. As has been pointed out, 7 Mile and 8 Mile both continue on east past where Moross and Vernier start.

And I have no idea how 3 Mile Drive got its name.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast