Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Crimetown podcast

I quite enjoyed the first season of Gimlet Media's Crimetown podcast, an 18-part series about the history of mob influence in Providence, RI, and how the mob owned the cops and politicians in the 1960s and 70s. It was quite fascinating.

So I am super pumped that season 2 takes place in Detroit, focusing on the Kwame Kilpatrick years, including interviews of Kilpatrick from prison. So far they've only released the trailer. Full episodes will start coming out October 1st.

http://www.crimetownshow.com/about-the-show-detroit/

Has anyone been listening to this? Season 2 was 19 episodes all about Detroit, starting with STRESS in 1971 and ending with Kilpatrick's corruption conviction. The final episode just posted yesterday. I found the whole series fascinating.

The really annoying thing about it is that it's only on Spotify. Other podcast feeds don't have it.

Podcasts involve - listening - time.
    I can scan text extremely rapidly, slow down when needed, re-read, etc.

Podcasts are usually used for those situations when I have time to kill,
    [[pun fully intended)

I found the podcast in my podcast player, but for some reason it only displays up to Season 2 episode 1, it doesn't seem to acknowledge that any shows were made after that. I really want to listen to it! I'm going to troubleshoot it some more.

Fascinating! I couldn't get enough of these. Familiar with many of the stories, but the interviews and details took it deeper!

Their website has additional interviews and newspaper articles for every episode.

https://www.crimetownshow.com/episodes-2

I find it laughable how ignorant to all the federal charges kwame is. He’s like everyone is corrupt so why am I in jail. His dad’s attitude about his ‘consulting’ is even more astounding.

Not one second for anything related to Kwame. Bye Bye gone forever

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I found the podcast in my podcast player, but for some reason it only displays up to Season 2 episode 1, it doesn't seem to acknowledge that any shows were made after that. I really want to listen to it! I'm going to troubleshoot it some more.
    Season 2 is only on Spotify.

I am a huge podcast fan, it's my main form of entertainment. But this trend of podcast producers signing exclusive distribution deals with Spotify and the like really irks me. Podcast listeners are used to having all podcasts in one place, available in any podcast app that we choose to use. Exclusive distribution deals means that we're going to have to use different apps for different podcasts, and the whole podcasting universe will become balkanized. Streaming TV service distribution should not be the model that podcasters should be moving towards.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Podcasts involve - listening - time.
    I can scan text extremely rapidly, slow down when needed, re-read, etc.

Podcasts are usually used for those situations when I have time to kill,
    [[pun fully intended)
    The thing I like about podcasts as entertainment is that you can do other things while you enjoy the podcast, like vacuum, wax the car, clean the garage...can't do that with books, TV, video games, or movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    Season 2 is only on Spotify.
    Thanks, that makes more sense. I might do a free account just to listen to this.

I agree, I don't like the exclusive deals. When Serial made Season 2 available on Pandora it was joke, Pandora's system for delivering Podcasts STUNK.

They should make it downloadable like most everyone else does. Shoot some ads if need be. I'm not interested in things I already know if I have to jump through hoops. However, I would probably enjoy the show.

I also loved Season 1 of Crimetown about Providence, RI, and really enjoyed Season 2 regarding Detroit. I actually thought that Season 1 was better because it better weaved together a story of criminals and politics. In Season 2, about half of the episodes focused on Kwame Kilpatrick, and while they were very interesting, I would have liked to hear about some other stories going on in the same time period. Regardless, it was well worth a listen!

Yep Podcasts are much superior to radio. I drive listening to Podcasts.
    The draw back is a lot of podcasts are amateurish.
    The point is, would you pay for a subscription to a podcaster?
    So far the only podcast I would pay for is The Joe Rogan Experience. As of now its still free with ads.

The No BS News Hour with Charlie LeDuff needs a lot of work.

Crimetown Season 2 [[Detroit) is now being released outside of Spotify. Apple Podcasts has the first few episodes up and ready for listening.