Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Detroit designation for High Tech

I find it ODD that media labels Detroit the hotbed of
    automotive technology when ""most"" of
    the innovativeness is outside the city limits.

Michigan has led the nation in mobility-related patents over the past five years, and is home to 49 connected and automated vehicle projects. “Seventy-six percent of the American auto industry’s research and development happens in the state of Michigan. Ninety-six percent of the top 100 automotive suppliers in North America have a presence in Michigan.""

A recent article even looped in Toyota Research Institute [[TRI)
    and University of Michigan’s Mcity; as Detroit Automotive.

Detroit is pretty much OFF Limits -- for a variety of reasons.
    Let us be brutally Honest, it is NOT happening in the city limits.
    Last edited by O3H; September-20-18 at 04:39 PM.

Those types of reports often include the counties of Monroe, Washtenaw, Wayne, Oakland and Macomb. Sometimes even Gennesee.

It is because most of America views all of the surrounding area as Detroit.

I went on a British tour a few years back, and told people I was staying to London. Technically I stayed in Westminster, but to everyone outside of the M25, I was in London.

Similarly, when I read a travel article about going to enjoy the beach in Miami... it is actually Miami Beach.

Detroit to everyone outside of SE Michigan does not end at 8 Mile. That is probably not a bad thing either.

So yeah, DETROIT is just booming, expanding, and growing !!!!!!!!

[[if you include the entire state of 10 million people as Detroit )

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    I find it ODD that media labels Detroit the hotbed of
    automotive technology when ""most"" of
    the innovativeness is outside the city limits.

Michigan has led the nation in mobility-related patents over the past five years, and is home to 49 connected and automated vehicle projects. “Seventy-six percent of the American auto industry’s research and development happens in the state of Michigan. Ninety-six percent of the top 100 automotive suppliers in North America have a presence in Michigan.""

A recent article even looped in Toyota Research Institute [[TRI)
    and University of Michigan’s Mcity; as Detroit Automotive.

Detroit is pretty much OFF Limits -- for a variety of reasons.
    Let us be brutally Honest, it is NOT happening in the city limits.
    You make some good points. The vast majority of auto suppliers are not located in the city. With the city income tax, higher property tax rates, it is hard to compete with suburbs. It will take a long time before Detroit has enough tax revenue to make it possible to lower these tax rates.

You should try combining all of your negative musings to one super thread. That way I can more easily avoid wasting my time. Kthanks.

Didn't I just recently hear about a $70M Ford investment in the Corktown area that includes a complete rehab of one of our most famous eyesores, or was that all in my head? Oh yeah, and I believe it is meant to be an incubation center for the development of technology for the automotive industry.

I must be imagining things.......
    Last edited by FredGarvin; September-20-18 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    You should try combining all of your negative musings to one super thread. That way I can more easily avoid wasting my time. Kthanks.
    Completely agree.

O3H, few people outside of Michigan and the surrounding area know any other cities in the metro Detroit area but Detroit. There's a reason for that. The metro Detroit area wouldn't, for the most part, exist if Detroit never founded and the economy of metro Detroit and Detroit's nine county CSA area depends on the same core industries and work together to create a viable economy.

Without consulting a map, very few metro Detroiters and Michiganders could name Kansas City metro cities, or Philadelphia metro cities, or Las Vegas metro cities, so we collectively refer to their regions as metro Kansas City, metro Philadelphia, metro Las Vegas, or just Kansas City, Philadelphia or Las Vegas itself. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvin View Post
    Didn't I just recently hear about a $70M Ford investment in the Corktown area that includes a complete rehab of one of our most famous eyesores, or was that all in my head? Oh yeah, and I believe it is meant to be an incubation center for the development of technology for the automotive industry.

I must be imagining things.......
    You must be. I heard 700 million!

You know, I heard Ford received :

Ford is seeking $250 million in federal, state and local tax incentives for the entire campus. The 1.2-million-square-foot campus will include 300,000 square feet of community, retail and residential spaces.

Perhaps the TAX part of it -- was the reason why, --- what you say, eh ????

Anyone looking Big Picture or is everyone looking under a microscope
    for those ""wins"" , those ""triumphs"" , the ""candy coating"" ?

People will be swarming Detroit to see the LIONS play,
    -- that'll bring revenue to Detroit , it's in DETROIT as well.
    Let's see how that runs its course in 2018.
    OR maybe they'll win a game or two and the city will go absolutely nuts
    Last edited by O3H; September-21-18 at 08:06 AM.

Detroit will never thrive with attitudes like this ^^^

You mean a sincere, inherent desire for FINANCIAL stability ?

The clear eyed view through the smoke, mirrors, hype, and nonsense,
    in an effort to actually use NUMBERS, QUANITATIVE analysis,
    towards the revenue inbound = expenditures outbound ???

Detroit needs to stand on its own 2 feet
    - without the suburbs propping it up !!!!!!

Detroit , on it's own, within its own city limits, thriving,
    growing EVERYWHERE and not just in a certain corridor,
    receiving/getting large, huge, substantial industry/manufacturing,
    and closing the loop on Taxes IN versus Infrastructure costs out !!!!

I want Detroit to prosper, not whimper.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    I think the title of "Rock City" is and always has been a bit misleading.
    Last edited by O3H; September-21-18 at 12:48 PM.

This. ^

What seems like positive news is posted with a negative tone. I was reading the thread and came to this post. Looked back up and sure enough the thread was started by O3H. It is almost comical the tone you take with this news.
    Last edited by p1acebo; September-21-18 at 03:33 PM.

Between the "Detroit continues to die" thread, and now this... I agree!

O3H. I get your Angle, amd you could probably make the point years ago, but I just don't see a slow down anytime soon of major projects that were spurred by incentives, grants, etc. I'm on the Riverwalk and from my view there are hundreds of kids, older and younger couples, and singles enjoying what was not here before. Where I'm sitting now was dirt and you could literally look left and right and not see a soul. The big three have a huge presence inside the city boarders whom supply jobs all the way to Toledo, Ohio. Detroit literally props up our whole region. No Detroit, No South East Michigan plain and simple. I'm beginning to think O3H is L. Brooks Patterson! I'm mean for real! Chrysler has three major plants inside the city limits, Gm has the tallest building in Michigan inside the city limits, and I believe that was built by Henry Ford the second if I'm right? Is there something I'm missing???

Why can't Detroit function without the massive incentives, grants, etc.
    OBVIOUSLY no one is coming to the city without them............
    Let that sink for a for a few seconds.

If land is cheap, labor is cheap, and it still needs ""intense incentives""
    -- that's an indicator that general business doesn't want to be there.

Why don't people focus on the numbers, the revenue, the financials
    --- instead of the hype, the glitz of new, the smoke screens, the crap

The auto industry isn't all that well, some would say its sick
    https://www.businessinsider.com/detr...-crisis-2018-7
    ""Deliveries of new vehicles in the US peaked for the big three Detroit automakers in 2015 and have edged down since then....""

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2018/07/18/detroit-bankruptcy-optimism-but-challenges-real/772729002/

It's wonderfulness, the goodness, is happening outside the city limits,
    for the most part.

""State equalized and assessed property values may be up, but taxable value changes for Detroit have been "marginal," says Detroit Treasurer Christa McLellan, noting income tax, not property tax, is a major revenue source for the city. ""

Ultimately, the fiscal welfare of the city and the city's ability to provide adequate municipal services is a responsibility of the residents themselves," he said. [[Former U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes, who presided over Detroit's bankruptcy case)

Keepin' it real ---
    http://www.governing.com/week-in-finance/gov-finance-roundup-detroit-exits-state-oversight.html

""to spur reinvestment in abandoned neighborhoods, the city is spending millions to raze vacant buildings. It cost the city nearly $70 million last year and is projected to cost more than $150 million in 2018 and 2019. Seeing as Detroit’s total general fund budget is about $1 billion, these are no small considerations.""
    Last edited by O3H; September-21-18 at 08:08 PM.

There is Detroit, Detroit and Detroit.

1. Detroit the international metropolitan family of communities
    2. Detroit the city of Detroit
    3. Detroit the American Auto/Mobility Industry.

Number 1 Detroit is my Detroit and that Detroit forms the boundaries of what may be discussed in this forum. Detroit the city is the heart of that Detroit. Just about everybody in the world considers Detroit as number 1 Detroit. 8 Mile is just a movie to them.

I read recently that 60% of all automotive research is done in number 1 Detroit.

So yeah "Detroit [is] the hotbed of automotive technology".

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    There is Detroit, Detroit and Detroit.

1. Detroit the international metropolitan family of communities
    2. Detroit the city of Detroit
    3. Detroit the American Auto/Mobility Industry.

Number 1 Detroit is my Detroit and that Detroit forms the boundaries of what may be discussed in this forum. Detroit the city is the heart of that Detroit. Just about everybody in the world considers Detroit as number 1 Detroit. 8 Mile is just a movie to them.

I read recently that 60% of all automotive research is done in number 1 Detroit.

So yeah "Detroit [is] the hotbed of automotive technology".

Or you could say that Detroit "the city" is the rotting, hollowed out core of the dynamic metro area despite the Potemkin Village of downtown subsidized by Gilbert and massive tax infusions.

Nice reference

In politics and economics, a Potemkin village is any construction built solely to deceive others into thinking that a situation is better than it really is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.77f812f67c5a

"From the very start, auto manufacturers preferred to locate in the suburbs—often as a tax dodge," explains Kevin Boyle, a historian at Northwestern University and native of Detroit."
    Last edited by O3H; September-21-18 at 10:07 PM.

O3H, stay on message.

Your original post was strictly a geographic argument about technology development happening [[or not happening) within the city limits. Once confronted with an alternative view, with contrary evidence, your argument turned to financial incentives and funding.

Stay on topic, please.

O3H mean something about loving Ohio?

Just wanted to put a spotlight on the media claiming "Detroit",
    was booming, vibrant, economically stable, and growing,
    especially in the eyes of the media/press.

Perspective changes the reality of outlook, view, standpoint, position, stand, stance, angle, slant, attitude, frame of mind, frame of reference, approach, way of looking, and interpretation.

I'm wondering what the hell this 'I hate Detroit' multiple thread-starting joker is doing on DetroitYes! Shouldn't he be on [[Unnamed City's) SuburbsYes! ?

I don't follow - like a blind sheep - piling on, to appear popular.
    Original thought, via in depth reading, of a large amount of material.

Many would do well to avoid the ""Cliffs Notes"" and dig in deep,
    as to the real, actual, factual goings on, in and around the City of Detroit.

Look through ALL my threads, I've never claimed to hate Detroit.
    In fact I hope it becomes something worthwhile, sustainable, viable.
    I went to University , downtown, I kayak, downtown, I go, downtown.
    Who among you will be with me at TedX Detroit - Wed Sept 26th ??
    http://www.tedxdetroit.com/

If you want to be a follower, by all means, pile on, have at it.
    Last edited by O3H; September-22-18 at 12:06 PM.

I think you will find the veterans on this board, some who have been contributing for nearly twenty years, are more than aware of the challenges facing and the deficiencies of the City of Detroit.

They also know that likely 80%, maybe more, of the region's impoverished, poorly educated, crime and other burdens are borne by the City of Detroit. If that load was evenly spread across the metro the City of Detroit's situation would be far different. But in spite of that it is definitely rising, if not evenly everywhere.

To take your point, however, one could argue that 76% of Michigan's high culture is inside the city limits of Detroit and "The suburbs and rest of the state is pretty much OFF Limits -- for a variety of reasons. Let us be brutally Honest, it is NOT happening outside the city limits."

But why? It's there for all to share in our great international metropolis of Detroit. We all benefit.

That said your thread is appropriate as it is about Detroit and doesn't contain personal attacks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast