Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kresge Foundation bankrolling Cradle-to-College school @ Marygrove

LINK

A new cradle-to-career educational partnership announced Thursday at Marygrove College will include a modern early childhood education center, a new K-12 school and a teacher-education training program modeled after hospital residency programs.

The P-20 Partnership — one of the first in the nation according to organizers — is backed with a $50 million commitment from the Kresge Foundation.
    pretty big deal here.
    “The magnitude of this partnership is priceless in that it expands the city’s portfolio of high-demand, unique traditional public school options and develops a much-needed teacher pipeline with one of the top universities in the country,"
    -Marygrove will be saved
    -Immaculata High School will be reopened
    -a new childhood education center will be built

-fitzgerald + bagley neighborhood redevelopments are ongoing
    -university district homes are being rehabbed selling for $350's+

-livernois is getting new mixed-use projects
    http://www.jllproperty.us/assets/doc...er_9375081.pdf
    Last edited by hybridy; September-18-18 at 09:50 AM.

So Marygrove College is essentially done, and will be a childcare center/K-12 facility.

Given the plummeting student-age population in NW Detroit, DPS will have a few more closures [[which may not be a bad thing). And Kresge is paying for it, not taxpayers, so that's a plus.
    Last edited by Bham1982; September-18-18 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    So Marygrove College is essentially done, and will be a childcare center/K-12 facility.
    Uhhhhhh it's still a graduate college.

lol you literally cant read

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Given the plummeting student-age population in NW Detroit, DPS will have a few more closures [[which may not be a bad thing). And Kresge is paying for it, not taxpayers, so that's a plus.
    The troll re-emerges.

HEADLINE, April 2, 2018:
    It’s official: Detroit’s enrollment grew for the first time in over a decade, even after adding the state-run district.

Nothing is "plummeting" in the city, although I am sure there is still a slow trickle to the suburbs.

https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/detr...-run-district/

Sounds like an interesting project, that will add an excellent educational option. We are always bemoaning the state of the Detroit Public Schools and this sounds like a very positive program.

Together with the Fitz Forward project and the redevelopment on Livernois, this section of NW Detroit could see some great strides. Progress outside of downtown/midtown is exactly what is needed.

Just two months after a new ‘cradle-to-career’ school opened, Detroit principal is under investigation and on leave

Nir Saar, the first principal of a high-profile new school in Detroit, has been placed on administrative leave related to unspecified allegations just two months after the School at Marygrove opened its doors.

The district said in a statement that the alleged behavior happened before Saar was placed at Marygrove, and that the allegations “are not related to the direct health, welfare or safety of students.”
    The school's focus is on equity and social justice. So sexual impropriety vs kickbacks/corruption? Prolly a combo platter.
    Last edited by hybridy; November-01-19 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    The school's focus is on equity and social justice.
    Is it really? I must have missed that. Does the earth really need more woke warriors going around telling everyone what's offending them on any given day?

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Is it really? I must have missed that. Does the earth really need more woke warriors going around telling everyone what's offending them on any given day?
    No it's not. that person just made that up.

Just two months after a new ‘cradle-to-career’ school opened, Detroit principal is under investigation and on leave

The school's focus is on equity and social justice. So sexual impropriety vs kickbacks/corruption? Prolly a combo platter.
    It does not say what the “ alleged behavior “ is or was.

Why did they pick the 9th grade as a starting point in a cradle to career scheme?

The teacher training program reminds me of when I went to school in the burbs outside of Minneapolis in the early 70s,we had the main teacher and a teacher in training like the program is implementing,or two teachers per class.

The mini skirt was still in fad and the teachers in training used to sit on top of the edge of the desk,I know they had the undivided attention of the male students anyways.

It would be interesting to see the results of that program back then as a reference to how it worked or not.

Seriously though if the focus as you say is equity and social justice it seems like it is more geared towards an indoctrination clinic verses a learning experience and opportunity for a better seated education.

In that context it would be mimicking the average Chinese education in the cradle to career aspect.

One would hope it really was about levels of education verses agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    No it's not. that person just made that up.
    It's literally written in sponsor institutions' visions. Sure you're not illiterate?

https://graduate.marygrove.edu/campu...rygrove-campus

About the University of Michigan School of EducationThe University of Michigan School of Education is a top-ranked, public school of education located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The school’s two-fold mission is 1) to study and improve education practice, policy, and the contexts of teaching and learning in the service of constructing a just and equitable society and 2) to prepare a diverse group of education practitioners, policy-makers, and researchers who will contribute to building equitable and just educational opportunities. Since its founding in 1921, faculty members and students have been at the forefront of educational change through their research contributions, instructional activities, community engagement, and collaborative involvement with the education profession.
    Visit www.soe.umich.edu.

About Marygrove College

Established in the city of Detroit in 1927, Marygrove College is an independent Catholic graduate institution sponsored by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary [[IHM) and guided by the values of human dignity; community; social justice; ecological justice; excellence; innovation; and diversity. The campus is situated on 53 wooded acres at 8425 W. McNichols Rd., Detroit, MI 48221. Visit www.marygrove.edu.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Woke warrior? Yikes, I've lost my grasp of the zeitgeist.

Here's a simple infographic for you. I can't fathom how this should 'trigger' anyone.
    Last edited by hybridy; November-01-19 at 11:22 AM.

^ so is it better to give students the ability to overcome obstacles or remove the obstacles in society so the students never encounter them,what happens when they come up against an obstacle that is not listed in the book?

I thought education was about gaining the basic tools in order to succeed to the best of the individuals ability,you will never remove systemic barriers just as millions have proven that when supplied with the basic tools they were able to overcome the barriers and succeed.

Of course if you convince somebody that every thing is a barrier then they will see everything as a barrier and lose self confidence to overcome them.

It is an illusionist theory.

hopefully the school will produce children who go on to higher education and lucrative satisfying careers of various kinds.
    by next year there is scheduled to be a K-8 school built on the campus.
    as long as the children meet [[and hopefully surpass) state guidelines, the school should be stable.

So, they discovered something this person apparently did before employment and acted pro-actively. Is there a problem here? Did they act appropriately or over react?

Woke warrior? Yikes, I've lost my grasp of the zeitgeist.

Here's a simple infographic for you. I can't fathom how this should 'trigger' anyone.
    A simple concept, however boiling complex social issues down to a simple form often ignores the reality of the situation. I would argue that in this example the short person, even with new fence that allows them to see, would still be asking for the boxes because maybe they can't see EXACTLY as well as the tall person. Or perhaps their short ancestors didn't get a view so now they're entitled to the boxes whether they need them or not. How do you measure equality, equity, justice in society? Is it as as taking a poll, or is their some statistic that answers this? What's the end game? It is a never ending fight as smaller and smaller niche groups demand accommodation?

Unfortunately these questions can't be answered by a picture.

My problem with the box/fence analogy has always been that no two people start from the same place in life on almost any metrics, so trying to level set the playing field is much harder in real life than in this simple diagram. Sure, all else being equal, we can add or subtract policy to help everyone get where they are going; in practice, however, all else is not equal, and there is a whole lot of subjectivity to the discussion. Furthermore, we often don't know what makes people equal or equally successful, so we may be doing harm through policies intended to create "equality" or "equity." I think a lightly regulated environment can actually be of greatest help, by reducing impediments and allowing natural sorting in the population.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    My problem with the box/fence analogy has always been that no two people start from the same place in life on almost any metrics,
    Disagree. A kid born in a two flat on Dexter will not have the same starting place as one born in a mansion in West Bloomfield. That child may not even have the same starting place as one born in Palmer Park or Boston-Edison.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Disagree. A kid born in a two flat on Dexter will not have the same starting place as one born in a mansion in West Bloomfield. That child may not even have the same starting place as one born in Palmer Park or Boston-Edison.
    Thats not really a unit of measure either,lots of those born in the ghetto have overcome odds that many born in a mansion cannot seem to get past.

It does not matter where you start or come from,the only barriers that exist are the ones that individuals allow to exist.

If you have somebody constantly telling you something is a barrier then you will believe it and never try to overcome it.

They teach kids that everybody is a winner,but yet on the sports field there are two teams,one wins and the other loses.

The worst thing is the whole failure is bad part when it is in a lot of cases a learning curve to success,it is only bad if one does not learn from the experience.

If everybody is a winner how do you know they are if there are no losers?
    Last edited by Richard; November-04-19 at 04:52 PM.