Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gilbert's Stock X To Hire 1,000

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ng/1272365002/

When I first read about this company I wondered why Gilbert would bother with such a niche business. I still can't figure out how this model is viable long-term but apparently it's growing like crazy. Good for Dan, good for Detroit I guess.

The sneaker resale market is pretty big, and they do other stuff like purses and watches if I recall correctly. Always good to see a Detroit company get funding from Silicon Valley.

Betcha the city Council does not dare tell him how much to pay his employees.

Like EGrant said, you'd be very surprised, how many so called "Sneakerheads" are out here. Some are purchased and never come out the box they're in, only to score a big profit later.

Our very own Eminem has a Nike shoe, only 10 pairs in existence, worth $20k a pair:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...dan/704703002/

I'm glad to hear Gilbert has gotten a foothold on this emerging market. Who knows what other possibilities it might lead to? Used tires, day old doughnuts, mom-to-Gilbert-to-mom? Used sneakers could be just the thing to push Detroit over the top. $20k sneakers? No wonder people are getting shot up @ bars and bus stops for stepping on someone's toes, so to speak.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-18-18 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Our very own Eminem has a Nike shoe, only 10 pairs in existence, worth $20k a pair:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...dan/704703002/
    And over 1 billion people in the world go hungry. Sometimes this planet feels rotten.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    And over 1 billion people in the world go hungry. Sometimes this planet feels rotten.
    Relatively speaking, I should feel guilty for my 2 year old $100 sneakers or even when I get a $5 foot long.

Poobert! I ain't seen a post from you in years, what rock did you crawl out from under? Lol

Well,you have to take into account that a 12 year old in China got paid 50c a day to make those $20,000 sneakers,which was enough to buy 1/2 a bowl of rice,so that at least is one that is less starving.