Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Did Detroit Have "Bad" Priests?

Yeah, I know Detroit YES, so Admins dump if you feel inappropriate, but I am wondering. Has there been any mention of a bad priest situation within the Archdiocese? i was raised RC, and, while nothing was ever said, but there were a couple of priests in my local parish I was leery about. Any known news articles? Thanks.

http://www.bishop-accountability.org...y_Bueche_2.htm

This guy. Just outside the city proper. I went to this high school. Everyone thought he was the cool, young, good looking priest but didn't know at the time, what was going on behind closed doors. Several young men that he assaulted were a couple years ahead of me. Unfortunately, one of them ended his life a few years ago.
    Last edited by Maof; September-12-18 at 05:50 PM.

http://www.yourlawyer.com/other-topi...d-sex-charges/

Looks like the church bounced him around until just last year! He's been doing this for 40+ years!

Does anyone else notice the irony of the date of death this convicted priest?

Burkholder Robert N.
    Ordained 1947 Priest
    Diocesan
    Convicted

Called one of MI's worst pedophiles. Abused in 1940s. 1st complaint 1968; "retired" 1985. Removed 1993 after admitting in writing to molesting at least 23 boys. Civil suits filed in 1994 [[dismissed on limitations) and 1995 [[settled). On sick leave per OCD but worked as Army chaplain in Hawaii from 1982. Extradited 2002; pleaded no contest. Sentenced to 30 days jail & 5 yrs probation. Permanently removed w/o privileges 2005. Named in 2 suits in HI in 2009 filed by same Plaintiff.

Died 6/6/06.

Father Wygowski [[sp?) Queen of Peace in Harper Wds, early 60's. I personally observed him giving beer to altar boys & thrill rides in Pontiac Bonneville convertible. I thought he was hinky then, and my hinky radar wasn't very well developed yet.

Odd to see a nun listed, but I don't doubt it a bit.
    We had a parish priest that, at the very least, liked teenaged girls;like my sister; but nothing was ever reported

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Odd to see a nun listed, but I don't doubt it a bit.
    We had a parish priest that, at the very least, liked teenaged girls;like my sister; but nothing was ever reported
    Going to St. Jude, graduated in 71, never saw anything. Lots of stories of our choirmaster, though. Had Fr. Sidney Eckhart as the Chaplain for the Boy Scouts, and he used to come out to where we were camping and say mass for whoever was there, sometimes, quite alot of people. Someone started to pass a rumor he was going out and getting drunk and whatever on these weekends. I took pictures of him in to the church office of him saying mass and that quickly put a stop to that.
    I did see on bishopaccountability, that Fr. Jude Ellinghausen who was at St. Jude in the 70's was accused and I believe convicted of abuse which happened after he left St. Jude.
    This whole thing hurts so much. As an ordained Deacon, I hate what is happening to the church I love so much.

this is a worldwide problem perpetuated by the church and faithful.

2 of the childhood priests i knew growing up were 'laicized'/defrocked in the early 00's, due to offenses/allegations from earlier in their priesthoods. one particular priest used to come to our house for sunday brunch after mass in his lexus dressed all in white. he use to send my older brother letters/cards well into his late 20's. all 5 of us sons were altar boys - thankfully never a victim. not for lack of trying, as my mother often sent us on ski trips with priest + friends, men's retreats, etc. where this kind of sh*t is rampant. i recall going to Toronto to see pope JP2 when i was a minor as part of a college contingent. we stayed in a middle school with priest chaperones and the showers were open 'gang style'. i wore swim trunks to get clean. i realize now, that arrangement was likely illegal. my brother attended a seminary high school, where ultimately 20+ friars were removed for various sex offenses of minors. my sister was married by a 'rising star' priest in the mid 00's. he was ultimately convicted of sexually assaulting another man in a hot tub at high-end health club nearby a few years later.

...on and on it goes

https://www.archmil.org/reorg/bardat...ers/Becker.htm

https://www.archmil.org/reorg/bardat...ders/Wenig.htm
    Last edited by hybridy; September-13-18 at 10:40 AM.

I've heard many stories how priests would be invited to homes of parishioners for dinner, etc. The parents didn't have a clue. They were men of the cloth. They would have never thought the priest could possibly be preying on their children. Unfortunately, it happened all the time.
    Last edited by Maof; September-13-18 at 10:48 AM.

I have no information on any particular cases or offenders, but one thing has always stuck out in my mind about these crimes...

The organization where the offence/s occurred is not the guilty party - the organization was infiltrated by people who were not true representatives of the organization; such people infiltrate anywhere that they can find victims.

Those organizations could be churches, orphanages, boy scouts, etc...

I spoke to Tim Tate, a UK film-maker formerly of Yorkshire Television in England. He now has his own movie and TV production company, but when he was with Yorkshire Television, he made a documentary film [['Conspiracy Of Silence') about Boystown in Nebraska and the 'infiltration' [[putting it politely) that occurred there. If you are interested in such topics, I would strongly advise that you watch Tim's doco. It can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2uaaAHh1XI

This shocking scandal reached to the very top of US politics, but it was concealed.

I also asked Tim Tate why the Wikipedia page about his Doco states that his film was "a carefully crafted hoax". Tim assured me that what he uncovered in Boystown was no hoax.
    Last edited by night-timer; September-13-18 at 10:53 AM.

The micreants may have "infiltrated" the organization to begin with but now the "organization" has perpetuated the problem by protecting the miscreants. Making them now guilty

Bad Priests are everywhere, not just here. This has been going on probably since the beginning of time. My next door neighbor growing up, was molested by one, he's messed up mentally to this very day. Very sad situation.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-13-18 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Bad Priests are everywhere, not just here. This has been going on probably since the beginning of time. My next door neighbor growing up, was molested by one, he's messed up mentally to this very day. Very sad situation.
    Yes, I think they will likely eventually find that this cancer goes way back in the church's past. Far further than most would now like to admit.

My grandfather, who was educated in Catholic schools up to the first couple of years of high school, would often refer to Catholic priests as "glorified boy pokers in dresses", "sanctified fa**ots", and other similar taunts. So there was obviously some personal history there. Grandpa was disdainful of organized religion in general, but for the rest of his life he harbored an especially virulent and vocal dislike of priests and all things Roman Catholic.

Christianity is a moral cesspool.

Fr. Richard Kelly, [[from the list above) was newly ordained in 1970 when he went to work at St. Mary of Redford. A handsome young guy with longer black hair. He wore sandals pretty much all the time. He started "guitar masses" at SMR and all the girls were swooning over him. Sexual desire is such a powerful force, and does not know right from wrong. Back in the late 60s and early 70s I am guessing that there were more men that left the priesthood and their vows because of women than because of a predilection for young boys. I know of 4 priests who feel in love with women, but not out of love with their faith.
    Last edited by Vitalis; September-13-18 at 05:20 PM.

This guy was at Austin Prep in the 1970s. He wasn't a priest yet. http://www.bishop-accountability.org..._DioceseOf.htm

Was he one of the "brothers"?
    Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    This guy was at Austin Prep in the 1970s. He wasn't a priest yet. http://www.bishop-accountability.org..._DioceseOf.htm

There were three or four brothers who were molested. Cut off the offending part and ship part in formaldeheyd to the pope. He will get the message.

What exactly is the purpose of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    What exactly is the purpose of this thread?
    It is a subject of interest to forum members.

It is a subject that affects Detroiters.

The massive good that the Catholic Church has done is being negated by the criminal acts of priests and its institutional, systemic refusal to deal with the issue.

The issue of sexual abuse has a direct impact on my life. I am a practicing Catholic. I go to the old St Cecilia’s, drive the church bus and sit on the Parish Council. The loss of parishioners hits our church every week. Whether the loss is from those directly affected by sexual abuse or a loss of faith from something else, the result is devastating to those who remain as well as to the neighborhoods in which those churches are located.

This forum discusses Detroit topics, I think it qualifies as a worthwhile issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    It is a subject of interest to forum members.

It is a subject that affects Detroiters.

The massive good that the Catholic Church has done is being negated by the criminal acts of priests and its institutional, systemic refusal to deal with the issue.

The issue of sexual abuse has a direct impact on my life. I am a practicing Catholic. I go to the old St Cecilia’s, drive the church bus and sit on the Parish Council. The loss of parishioners hits our church every week. Whether the loss is from those directly affected by sexual abuse or a loss of faith from something else, the result is devastating to those who remain as well as to the neighborhoods in which those churches are located.

This forum discusses Detroit topics, I think it qualifies as a worthwhile issue.
    I think it is also worth noting the cultural ties. In particular, for the eastside and Polish communities, being Catholic was as part of ones identity as being a Detroiter or an American. To this day some of the most architecturally significant buildings in Detroit are those old ethnic churches.

I attended one of those old neighborhood parishes when I lived in Detroit [[very recently). Very sad that I felt I had to give up part of my heritage and my faith but I left for the Episcopal Church for many reasons. Count all those who have left and you have the second largest denomination in the U.S. A rich spiritual and cultural tradition to be sure but so deeply troubled. I hope for reform but do not expect to see it in my lifetime.

This article tells of what the AOD has done to address this matter & has a link the website that details more.
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...rt/1345149002/

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    http://www.yourlawyer.com/other-topi...d-sex-charges/

Looks like the church bounced him around until just last year! He's been doing this for 40+ years!
    That's exactly what the catholic church does with sexual predators, just move them around so that they can victimize more people.

At the highest levels the catholic church had knowledge of sexual abuse, and at the highest levels they covered it up and enabled the predators to victimize more young people.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    That's exactly what the catholic church does with sexual predators, just move them around so that they can victimize more people.

At the highest levels the catholic church had knowledge of sexual abuse, and at the highest levels they covered it up and enabled the predators to victimize more young people.
    I know but, from what I had initially heard, he was out as of the early 2000's and that in itself was way too long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast