Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Can we help save the Delmar Apartments in Palmer Park Apartments District

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-es...-park-building

-Delmar Apartments is a 5 story mixed used apartment/commercial building built in 1925 on West McNichols in the Palmer Park Apartments District

-It is in major disrepair, the roof is caved in

-Shelbourne Development's president owns the building. Shelbourne Development has restored 6 apartment buildings in the district for a total of $70 million in investment

-A Demolition sign was taped to the building in August, but the city has not issued a demolition permit and sent correspondence recently indicating it is giving the developer more time to try to bring back the structure.

-Makino intends to redevelop the Delmar and nearby Merton Manor in a combined $8 million, 48-unit senior housing project with retail called Unity Square.

-"Keeping the project focused on senior housing has added difficulty, Makino said, as has its proximity to a methadone clinic, New Light Recovery Center"

What do you guys think? Is this building too far gone? Any resources or advice for obtaining the funds to renovate the building. Maybe crowdfunding?

That's a gorgeous building, and I'm surprised it's still standing. Bet you it was extremely popular with the gay community in the 70's and 80's, when that corridor was still thriving.

It looks to be in pretty awful shape, so no, doubt it can be saved unless you want to use significant tax dollars. Market rate housing won't work there.

Hey, I've been in that building. I certainly remember that place from my bad ol' days hanging out at Bookie's. It was a beautiful building, but even in the late '70s it was in pretty rough shape.