Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is the Rod & Mario show Over? Tiger Announcers in Physical Scuffle

"When they signed off on Tuesday night, a physical altercation ensued, one which will likely define - and could perhaps end - their run together in the broadcast booth.

"According to multiple persons with knowledge of the situation, the altercation ensued immediately after the Tigers' 8-3 win over the Chicago White Sox at Guaranteed Rate Field. It was described by one person who was present as “severe,” something that co-workers had never before seen in the booth.
    "The station did not specify whether either broadcaster is suspended, but after Thursday's meeting, there is no change in Allen's assignment for the next six days: He is scheduled to do pregame and postgame shows from Comerica Park and Fox Sports Detroit's Southfield studios.

"It is unclear whether Impemba and Allen's working relationship is beyond repair. The two have become synonymous with Tigers baseball over the years, known by their first names, “Mario and Rod.” Together, they have enjoyed success in the booth.

"But all of that success could be overshadowed by Tuesday's incident, when their differences boiled over to a physical altercation.

Full article at Freep: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...en/1218032002/

Sad to hear. I liked their work. How can one blow a dream job like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Completely agree. Hard to understand how off camera issues can't get worked out when so much is at stake.

That was my first thought. Not to sell either guy's talent short, but where are you going to find a gig like that ? I bet they both regret their actions. Insiders may have known, but I never had a clue they didn't get along. Can't see them ever being in the booth together again either. Looks like Gibby's part-time job becomes full-time for a bit, and he still won't have to miss much of hunting season.

If it means Rod Allen is gone, then great. Living outside Detroit and watching all the announcers on the MLB pkg., I find most of the local guys to be lousy especially compared to the national announcers like Dan Shulman. Still, I would put Allen and Gibson both in the bottom half of league color guys. Impemba, like most play-by-play guys, is more tolerable.

Frankly, I think they all talk too much. Silence can be golden at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    In the spirit of what Bejeezus used to say;

"cleanliness is next to godliness"

"blabbermouthness is next to drivingmeupthewallness".

Sportscasters are very near the top of the guilty list in that department.

Alledgedly, this all stemmed from fighting over a chair. I mean, how juvenile is that? Must have been a hell of a comfortable chair.... The news just reported they're both done for the year, and their jobs will be re-evaluated at the end of the season. Can't see them both coming back, they should hire a new crew.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-08-18 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    If it means Rod Allen is gone, then great. Living outside Detroit and watching all the announcers on the MLB pkg., I find most of the local guys to be lousy especially compared to the national announcers like Dan Shulman. Still, I would put Allen and Gibson both in the bottom half of league color guys. Impemba, like most play-by-play guys, is more tolerable.
    Nothing personal, but Gibson is horrible. Can't understand what he says half the time. Maybe it's the Parkinson's effect. If so, maybe the Tigers can find him a gig off the air.

living in LA the past 5 years I was spoiled by Vin Scully. They don't make them like him anymore but Rod and Mario were both awful and would never just shut up. The games on TV we don't need stories about their favorite foods and whatnot..

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    living in LA the past 5 years I was spoiled by Vin Scully. They don't make them like him anymore but Rod and Mario were both awful and would never just shut up. The games on TV we don't need stories about their favorite foods and whatnot..
    Where's the "like" button on this darn site?

Why don’t those guys just do a press conference, both do a mea culpa, say they’re sorry, say they lost their heads and say they want to continue to work the games. Everybody would forgive and forget and this issue would go away.

Hmm. Am I the only one who really, really, really didn't like their work? I don't have a TV, so when I caught them on the tube the contrast from them and Dan Dickerson and Jim Price was alarming. Those two gentleman are clearly friends and just wonderful people to listen to. I thought for years it was clear that Rod and Mario clearly didn't like each other...perhaps even baseball. Their lack of enthusiasm was dreary. Rod Allen would make the most asinine comments, i.e., "the baked potato is heating up" for Jose Valverde warming up in the bullpen. I think it speaks to their character, too, how this went down. What a couple of schmucks. Don't let the door hit ya. Think of all the people in broadcasting who love the game! There are such possibilities now that those numbskulls lost their cool.

I have no clue who these two men are as I don't watch or listen to baseball, but it seems a bit hypocritcal that after a bench clearing brawl any involved players might see a series [[Maybe two) suspension at the most, but these guys are likely losing their jobs for something that happened off camera.

Based on the posts above, they don't appear to be the greatest duo out there, so perhaps that makes it a convenient decision for the team.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; September-07-18 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    This, I think MOST sport casters are overrated and add very little to the experience of watching a sporting event. The majority of the time I have the TV on low or mute, their opinions mean nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    This, I think MOST sport casters are overrated and add very little to the experience of watching a sporting event. The majority of the time I have the TV on low or mute, their opinions mean nothing.
    And it's just freaking insane all the money they make, sitting on they're a_ _ talking baseball and telling bad jokes. These guys have the best job in the world, and don't even know it. Any time you have a agent, you're getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I have no clue who these two men are as I don't watch or listen to baseball, but it seems a bit hypocritcal that after a bench clearing brawl any involved players might see a series [[Maybe two) suspension at the most, but these guys are likely losing their jobs for something that happened off camera.

Based on the posts above, they don't appear to be the greatest duo out there, so perhaps that makes it a convenient decision for the team.
    There is a difference between a brawl on the field which is part of gamesmanship and a scrap between coworkers from the same organization.

I agree a suspension the rest of the season sounds like a long time, but in reality it is only a few weeks until the end of the season. There are only 20 games left. I think this would have been resolved differently if it went down in May as opposed to September.

Could be worse, we could be stuck with that idiot Joe Buck.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    Could be worse, we could be stuck with that idiot Joe Buck.
    I don't think so. He's a national guy, he makes way more that Mario and Rod. He's not giving that up, I'm sure.