Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Looking for a picture of a building.

Does anyone have a picture of the Chatsworth Annex that used to be on the Wayne State University campus next to Chatsworth Tower? It stood on the site where there is now volleyball courts and green space.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ne&fr2=piv-web

the two white buildings ? It reads the picture was taken from the tower.

Richard, the volleyball courts the OP is referring to is on the west side of the building, while the view you posted faces east.

Here are a set of photos of the building's demolition in 2005:
    http://www.waitingforlunch.com/image...7/Desktop.html

Here is a posting about it from earlier this year on the fabulous "Wealth of Architectural Talent" thread on this site, including a little Free Press piece from when it was built in 1922.
    https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...420#post548420

Photo from that posting:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ne&fr2=piv-web

the two white buildings ? It reads the picture was taken from the tower.
    That photo is from around the time of WWII. It's what the then-Wayne U. campus looked like when my parents went there, before the state took it over. Those white buildings appear to be some of the wartime or post-war temporary buildings that were used by the university during that time. The Webster Hall Hotel [[where my mother lived after the university bought it in 1946, later called Mackenzie Hall) is still standing [[it was blown up in 1991). And WDET would not have been the radio station in the Maccabees Building then, WXYZ would be there.

Thanks gentlemen. Astounding job as usual. It was a nice looking building. Why did they demolish it? Was this more short sighted thinking at the hands of WSUs leadership of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Thanks gentlemen. Astounding job as usual. It was a nice looking building. Why did they demolish it? Was this more short sighted thinking at the hands of WSUs leadership of the time?
    Because the University felt it needed new volleyball courts more than it needed old housing?

I lived at Webster Hall while at Wayne Univ. during 1947-48,
    Herman Krieger
    www.efn. org/~hkrieger/detroit.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Krieger View Post
    Herman Krieger
    www.efn.org/~hkrieger/detroit.htm
    Herman Krieger! What an interesting life you've led! Thanks for sharing your website and all the photos around Detroit.

Agreed! This is awesome information! I'm loving the photos....... thank you for sharing them.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-21 at 02:20 PM.

I remember that building in the eighties. Wasn't it renamed to be Mckenzie Hall? Before it was torn down?

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Krieger View Post
    Herman Krieger
    www.efn. org/~hkrieger/detroit.htm