Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who Is Going to the last State Fair?

Michigan and Detroit is site to the oldest State Fair in America. Since 1840 folk from all over the State have traveled to Detroit to show their produce and animals.

Well folks that is coming to a close. Looks like this year is the last year for the fair.

Anyone going?

Oh, it started yesterday and will run for the next week.

If you do go, make sure you check out the poultry barn ... you will amazed at all the different chickens.

really.

My husband and I are planning on going. We haven't gone in years, and I feel bad that it seems as if it's the last one. I guess neither one of us were too interested in the agricultural stuff. When I was a kid, the only thing I was interested in was the midway [[with the rides and the attractions--you know the "freak show"). I also loved the fresh lemonade and the French fries. So, we'll go and say goodbye.

Is this, in fact, going to be the last Michigan State Fair?

This is news to me. Could you explain why this is the last state fair for the lower peninsula and is the fair for the upper in Escanaba still a go? I am very surprised to hear this news.

The state provides approximately $300,000 for operating costs for the Fair each year. Granholm announced that this was the last year the state was providing any funding, because of the state debt. If the Fair doesn't find another donor to make up that loss from the state, then this will be the last Fair here.

If you google "last michigan state fair" in quotes you'll find almost 3900 links to plow through. The one below is from wdiv, but what it comes down to is that the State budget won't have a whole lot of extra anything in it, one of those extras could be the State Fair. There is an outside chance that private fund sources could be found to keep the Fair alive next year, but if were to bet, I wouldn't bet of eatin to many more Elephant Ears at 8Mile and Woodward next yr.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/commun...44/detail.html
    DETROIT -- The nation's oldest state fair, the Michigan State Fair, is almost here and some can already taste the fair goodies and feel the excitement. But there are concerns about whether the fair has a future.
    Again, if you go check out the chickens. You think you know what chickens look like, you don't. Believe me. Chickens with faces that look like bulldogs. Black Chickens. Purple looking chickens. Chickens with bell bottoms on their feet. true true

And rabbits the size of small sheep. and sheep the size of rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    This is news to me. Could you explain why this is the last state fair for the lower peninsula and is the fair for the upper in Escanaba still a go? I am very surprised to hear this news.
    Because you don't get mugged in Escanaba??????

I went yesterday. The pouter pigeons were very cool. We lucked out on the rain for most of the day, but we got drenched as we left. But my daughter got to go on lots of rides, because there weren't any lines with the rain.

Wonder if Sonny Elliot will be there? The last year we were there before moving to Arizona, my wife and I attended the State Fair - it was the one and only time in my life I'd ever been there - and we got to meet Sonny. He's always been a favorite of mine - I've even occasionally still "tuned in" to the WWJ website to listen to his forecasts. [[It's really great to sit at my computer, look out the window at a sunny 100 degree day with clear skies, and hear him describe the Michigan driving as being "hazardous as tap dancing in a canoe" while the blizzard moves over the area "as slowly as a helicopter over a nudist camp.")

I doubt I'll go.The Fair seems to have devolved into a large church fair with farm animals. My Dad took me for a couple of years back in the 60s when there was still USAC stock car racing during the Fair but I've only been back twice since then.The last time was about 4 years ago with a now ex girlfriend and I can remember that both of us were disappointed in the Fair.There was a one ring Mexican circus there with a human projectile cannon.I looked at that cannon and told my friend that that was how the immigrants were crossing over the border without getting caught.I thought she was going to wet her pants from laughter.

We're going!! As we do every year. It's a great time...with the Miracle of Life, the free nightly concerts, the community arts, the horse shows, the farm animals, the birds and rabbits, the agriculture, the midway rides and games, the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame, the ridiculous Michigan Mart vendors, the daily parades, etc. etc. It is truly a phenomena rich with color and aromas!!

I'm also going to see my two photographs that were accepted into the Fine Arts competition. And my mother-in-law's paintings as well.

I'm also going to see my two photographs that were accepted into the Fine Arts competition
    Cool! I am going tomorrow. I will look for those. What are the subjects of the pics?

I'm going to take my two-year-old next Saturday. I haven't been in probably 30 years, so I'm really looking forward to it. Let's hope it's not the last one.

Pam: All of the photos and paintings and such are attributed to their creator, so my name is on them. One is a street scene [[and I mean the actual road pavement) called "Solar Splash"; the other is "Stripes de Soleil" taken on the WSU campus. Let me know if you find them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Pam: All of the photos and paintings and such are attributed to their creator, so my name is on them. One is a street scene [[and I mean the actual road pavement) called "Solar Splash"; the other is "Stripes de Soleil" taken on the WSU campus. Let me know if you find them!!
    What?? No Gone With The Wind.... "Rhett Butler on Velvet"??

Gistok, I think you are refering to the famous Black Velet painting comprised of the Virgin Mary Suckling a Baby Elvis while riding on the back of a Tiger.

Pam and Gannon served as models.

It won last year. A classic.

WE ARE GOING!!!! and Biking around Belle Isle and Dequindre Cut and Riverwalk!!!! SO EXCITED!

I'll be going to the State Fair on Monday with my mom, it's Senior Day on Monday so she'll get in free. I've gone to the fair the past 4 years and this year I'm going to make sure that I take quite a few photos of the people, animals and exhibits, just in case it is the last fair I will have something to remember it by.

I usually get a program so I am also going to pick one up as well.

I love seeing the Miracle of Life and seeing the Racing Pigs, roosters, cows, sheep, horse competition in the coliseum.

Also on Thursday we are going to the zoo to see Dinosauria and will probably head out to Belle Isle on Friday.

For those that are going to the Fair or anywhere else for the holiday weekend, have fun!!!!

Kathleen, congrats on having your pictures accepted! As I cannot make it to the Fair, I would love to see the photos some time.

DetroitDad Guest

I'll be there tomorrow!

Have to see if the car is running, I want to go ,Yet if I do it remains in the air.

reddog, don't mean to get all up in your bidness, but have you thought of buying some new wheels? Maybe LuckyCar could set you up.

I’ve been to the State Fair the last several years, & I’m going to go next Saturday, when they’ll do the Best of Show for the Homebrew Competition around 3pm [[we did the judging for the competition a couple weeks ago). They gave away samples of the beers in the Best of Show last year. Maybe they’ll do it again this year.

I hope the State Fair survives. I look forward to it every year. I love the livestock barns & the horse shows. The bottomless cup of chocolate milk is my favorite! I love the Community Arts submissions, & I’ll have to look for Kathleen’s photos. She’s right about it being a phenomena. This is a gem the State should endeavor to keep.

Default Parking Lot Full

We went down there at around Noon but by 3pm the Lot was Full !! Hopefully this means many people are making their way to the Fair!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I found them and I voted for one of them for the People's Choice Award.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast