Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Civic Theater Detroit

I've noticed over the past few weeks construction activity at the defunct Civic Theater on Kelly in the Houston Whittier neighborhood. The building in being gutted out. Does anyone know what the plans are with the building?

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    I've noticed over the past few weeks construction activity at the defunct Civic Theater on Kelly in the Houston Whittier neighborhood. The building in being gutted out. Does anyone know what the plans are with the building?
    Many, many Saturday matinees spent there during the late 40s-early 50s. Two bits a head was the admission. Always a Don Winslow, Rocketman, or some other serial, bunch of cartoons, and a feature film. Sometimes it was a "cartoon carnival" with three and a half hours of non-stop cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    This is great news, I hope the theater is being restored. Or it could being prepped for demolition, now that would be really sad.

Hope it is being restored. That neighborhood is rough though, might just be a tear-down.

There has been other smaller scale development around this building over the past few summers, hope this isn't demo prep. Most development has been at the hands of churches. Let's hope it was snatched up by a church [[that's not owned by a Winan) investing into the neighborhood