Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Stone Marker near Ford Field

Can anyone tell me what the marker or monument is in the center of the I-75/I375/Gratiot interchange near Ford Field pictured below? I have driven by it a thousand times and never known what it was. It appears that there is a marker on it so I dont believe it is just remnants of an old light pole or something like that.

Google is good for almost everything, but I could not find any information about this one.

Name:  Screenshot_20180816-143341_Earth.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  171.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the marker or monument is in the center of the I-75/I375/Gratiot interchange near Ford Field pictured below? I have driven by it a thousand times and never known what it was. It appears that there is a marker on it so I dont believe it is just remnants of an old light pole or something like that.

Google is good for almost everything, but I could not find any information about this one.

Name:  Screenshot_20180816-143341_Earth.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  171.3 KB

Good question! I've wondered about that myself. I've driven by it a lot, but never had the time to pull over and go see what it's about.

Good puzzle.

From Street View, it seems to have a plaque on it.

From satellite view it appears to have a triangular base.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Good puzzle.

From Street View, it seems to have a plaque on it.

From satellite view it appears to have a triangular base.

Right on both accounts. I hope it doesn't say "If you can read this you're too close..."

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Good question! I've wondered about that myself. I've driven by it a lot, but never had the time to pull over and go see what it's about.
    I have often wanted to pull over to investigate, but it's a terribly unsafe area to be to on foot. Traffic flies through there way too fast.

Ahh yes, the Battle of Freeway Hill...

Also, this is where owning a drone would come in handy.

FOUND IT!!!

http://onemorespoke.blogspot.com/201...-monument.html

What a stupid marker.

Wow. I'm really glad I have not wasted my time trying to get up to that location!! Tha ls for the link.

Anyone know what project exactly they are referring to on the marker? I would assume it's the interchange

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Right on both accounts. I hope it doesn't say "If you can read this you're too close..."
    Or "In memory of all those who gave their lives trying to get close enough to read this plaque."

The plaque is still a curiosity. But the above responses have given me a chuckle or two that makes me glad it was placed there!

And the proper way to post a link is ....

Upon first reading, it seems an appropriate commemoration of a job well done by the often overlooked working person. But further scrutiny might reveal otherwise. Let's start with the first word. Just who is this "we"? Is this some sort of Jungian collective unconscious "we"? There is nobody taking credit for the thanking here. It seems suspiciously like the workers are actually thanking themselves. Furthermore, what's up with the syntax? I know firsthand, writing without an editor, despite being liberating, is also very dangerous. You would think a plaque writer would get a second opinion.

But what calls for the most scrutiny here are the numbers. The original contract time for this, by the way, unnamed, project was just five days short of a year. As you can see though, it was finished in less than five months. Left unwritten is how much financial incentive there was to complete it so swiftly. Regardless, a four-month and three-week job deserves its own monument? That's the equivalent of every awful summer job anyone had as a teenager. And it would seem to me that a marriage jeopardized by 144 days of high-paying hard work probably has some other issues. Also, the loss of personal time and "precious time with loved ones" could most likely be made up in the, presumed, remainder of the year the workers now have off.

http://onemorespoke.blogspot.com/201...-monument.html

Gotta love the doink that wrote that though. Highway incentives are common and there is no underlying conspiracy involved. Some people just want to try to make a raging inferno out of every spent matchstick though.

Oh gosh I'm sorry to have to make you open a link.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Oh gosh I'm sorry to have to make you open a link.

Nah, you done good, congratulations! Meddle's just a cranky old guy... I can't believe it's a just a tribute to an interchange. I bet that truck driver was pissed @ me. I didn't know there was so much smoke inside those 18 wheels, or that horn was so loud...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Gotta love the doink that wrote that though. Highway incentives are common and there is no underlying conspiracy involved. Some people just want to try to make a raging inferno out of every spent matchstick though.
    If it makes you feel better, it does appear there is an image of someone wringing their hands.

Phase 1 was construction of the concrete obelisk. Phase 2 was construction of the metal sign. Matching the text with the correct date of installation was tedious.
    Last edited by 48202; August-16-18 at 09:34 PM.

Ha! Thanks for the laughs and turning a mole hill into a mountain.

For further reference, since we don't want any of our forum members to be injured, there are some rather cheap arial drones to do these types of jobs. Maybe it's too close to the arenas for that? I don't know.

Name:  5F2A28B4-48BD-496C-9388-45F6E680F7D2.jpeg
Views: 708
Size:  26.3 KB

I think there is more to this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Name:  5F2A28B4-48BD-496C-9388-45F6E680F7D2.jpeg
Views: 708
Size:  26.3 KB

I think there is more to this thing.

Every time I see that thing, a feeling comes over me to pound the ground with a jaw bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Or "In memory of all those who gave their lives trying to get close enough to read this plaque."
    Well if you get hit by an eighteen wheeler, your dentist will tell you; "no need to worry about no more plaque."

Funny thread! You guys are just too much sometimes!

1) People were PAID for their time to work. These weren't volunteers.
    2) I wonder how much that cost, who was behind its construction and how better the funds could have been used for the community.