Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Vmart 'pretty sure' retirement is near.....

According to the Detroit News, today.

Quote: Martinez, 39, is in the midst of the least productive campaign of his 16-year career.

Ok fellas, carry on.....
    Last edited by Smirnoff; August-16-18 at 10:58 AM.

The whole team should retire. Bring up the whole Toledo team; they can't do much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The whole team should retire. Bring up the whole Toledo team; they can't do much worse.
    Greiner, Mahtook, Rodriguez, Reininger, Alcantara, etc. The whole Toledo team is already here. Not only makes the Tigers suck but now it means the Mud Hens are going to miss the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Ray - great minds think alike.....

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Greiner, Mahtook, Rodriguez, Reininger, Alcantara, etc. The whole Toledo team is already here. Not only makes the Tigers suck but now it means the Mud Hens are going to miss the playoffs.
    Don - any chance of a team/city swap, any.....LOL?

A great player in his prime and a good human being all along. I wish him the best.

Baseball analytics really did him in, along with his diminishing hitting skills and leg speed. They could load him up on the pull side with the second baseman playing shallow right and still throw him out. He'd have been out of baseball long ago except for the DH, a rule I would like to see removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    A great player in his prime and a good human being all along. I wish him the best.

Baseball analytics really did him in, along with his diminishing hitting skills and leg speed. They could load him up on the pull side with the second baseman playing shallow right and still throw him out. He'd have been out of baseball long ago except for the DH, a rule I would like to see removed.

Yeah, the shift has really changed how to pitch to the big time hitters, since most refuse to learn to hit the ball the opposite way. Albert Pujois is another who's not fleet of foot, and has had a tough go since teams shift on him. I suspect Cabrera will take over his DH role next year, but injuries are catching up to him too.

I'm not a big baseball fan, but I find it amazing how the game continues to evolve and that baseball simply hasn't been "figured out" yet.

Also, I've got a feeling we're going to see some major changes to hockey and football as we start to discover more about the long-lasting effects of repeated head trauma.