Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Trying to find information about former Detroit musician and artist Matt Blake

Good Day fellow members
    I do estate sales and at an upcoming one we have a large freize by Matt Blake. Other then the articles in Metro Times from back in 2008, I'm looking for any additional information regarding the art he created over the years. I've reached out to CCS and have not heard back yet from them. The estate collected a lot of different types of art over the years and was a real supporter of the city. Thanks in advance!

I have learned that he and his wife had lived in the Cass Corridor before he passed away in 2008.

Default Anyone remember him from the Cass Corridor area? No one hae responded

Quote Originally Posted by surenowinlife View Post
    I have learned that he and his wife had lived in the Cass Corridor before he passed away in 2008.
    Anyone remember him from the Cass Corridor area? No one hae responded

Hello-

Matt Blake was a dear, dear friend of mind. He was a mentor of mine when I was younger, almost like an uncle. I am still very close to his widow. It was quite a coincidence that I happened to see this post as I haven't looked at this site in ages. Please contact me.

[QUOTE=norfolkpine;555320]Hello-

Matt Blake was a dear, dear friend of mind. He was a mentor of mine when I was younger, almost like an uncle. I am still very close to his widow. It was quite a coincidence that I happened to see this post as I haven't looked at this site in ages.
    We have one of his frieze that he made for a client of ours at an upcoming sale. Please contact me at 734-634-5476 any evening after 6pm.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolkpine View Post
    Hello-

Matt Blake was a dear, dear friend of mind. He was a mentor of mine when I was younger, almost like an uncle. I am still very close to his widow. It was quite a coincidence that I happened to see this post as I haven't looked at this site in ages. Please contact me.
    Still hoping to find more information about his art!

Still hoping to find more information about his art!
    Guess I'm left hoping for anyone to chime in!

Thanksgiving Parade 2002

This is long but Matt was a great artist, one of the sweetest people anyone could know and deserves a bit of a tribute… I knew Matt well, first meeting him in his student days at CCS in the nineties. He and some other industrial design students had banded together to form an art collective they called the Propeller Company. Taru Lahti, John Bell, Mike McGillis and Camilo Pardo [now a super big time Ford designer] were members along with some others.

The Propellor artists took a space in an industrial building off Forest that my fellow MicroPointillist painter Stephen Goodfellow had pioneered. It has long since been demolished to make way for the Veterans hospital. But before it fell there were some legendary parties and great art created there.

While they came from industrial design the Propeller artists diverged into fine art. During that time Matt created an number of functional artworks that stood on their own as outstanding sculptures. He specialized in repurposing found and discarded heavy metal remains of industrial Detroit. He later evolved to a more purely fine artist and also grew his talents as a musician.

In 1995 I was invited by the Detroit Institute of Arts to participate in an exhibition called Interventions, where artists were to create something in context to the DIA's permanent collection--to intervene with it. It was kind of neat because instead of being all concentrated/ghettoized in one gallery, the show works were spread throughout the DIA creating pleasant surprises.

At that time I was being swept along by the browser-era internet which had just arrived the year before and, rather than displaying my paintings, wanted to express things digitally. My intervention concept was called "Total Intervention”. I used the Macromedia Director program to create an interactive onscreen virtual tour of the DIA where viewers, using a mouse, could click their way through the galleries of the DIA where I had photoshopped out the DIA art and replaced it with my friends' and my art works, hence the total intervention.

The idea was to beg the question of "what is art", even reality, in the age of digital manipulation and remote intervention--the computer was wired also to the internet allowing me to further alter the project from home during the show.

I didn't like the boring visual prospect of a dumpy computer on a table, so I convinced modern art director Jan Vander Marck to include Matt to build a display from industrial metal objects that would hide the monitor and computer, other than the screen and mouse, enhancing the industrial age / information age transformation being represented.

The result was this amazing sculptural creation that the DIA would later add to their collection.

At the 4th Street Fair 2006

Matt Blake at Union Street in 1999 with Chris Turner with whom he would create the Millennium Bell Sculpture in Grand Circus Park.

Matt would die suddenly of a heart attack on May 10, 2008 at Age 43. Obituary by Rebecca Mazzei, now owner the Trinosophe’s art space. Ten years losing his creativity already. Where do the years go?

^^^ Awesome info Lowell, thanks for sharing these details!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Thanksgiving Parade 2002

This is long but Matt was a great artist, one of the sweetest people anyone could know and deserves a bit of a tribute… I knew Matt well, first meeting him in his student days at CCS in the nineties. He and some other industrial design students had banded together to form an art collective they called the Propeller Company. Taru Lahti, John Bell, Mike McGillis and Camilo Pardo [now a super big time Ford designer] were members along with some others.

The Propellor artists took a space in an industrial building off Forest that my fellow MicroPointillist painter Stephen Goodfellow had pioneered. It has long since been demolished to make way for the Veterans hospital. But before it fell there were some legendary parties and great art created there.

While they came from industrial design the Propeller artists diverged into fine art. During that time Matt created an number of functional artworks that stood on their own as outstanding sculptures. He specialized in repurposing found and discarded heavy metal remains of industrial Detroit. He later evolved to a more purely fine artist and also grew his talents as a musician.

In 1995 I was invited by the Detroit Institute of Arts to participate in an exhibition called Interventions, where artists were to create something in context to the DIA's permanent collection--to intervene with it. It was kind of neat because instead of being all concentrated/ghettoized in one gallery, the show works were spread throughout the DIA creating pleasant surprises.

At that time I was being swept along by the browser-era internet which had just arrived the year before and, rather than displaying my paintings, wanted to express things digitally. My intervention concept was called "Total Intervention”. I used the Macromedia Director program to create an interactive onscreen virtual tour of the DIA where viewers, using a mouse, could click their way through the galleries of the DIA where I had photoshopped out the DIA art and replaced it with my friends' and my art works, hence the total intervention.

The idea was to beg the question of "what is art", even reality, in the age of digital manipulation and remote intervention--the computer was wired also to the internet allowing me to further alter the project from home during the show.

I didn't like the boring visual prospect of a dumpy computer on a table, so I convinced modern art director Jan Vander Marck to include Matt to build a display from industrial metal objects that would hide the monitor and computer, other than the screen and mouse, enhancing the industrial age / information age transformation being represented.

The result was this amazing sculptural creation that the DIA would later add to their collection.

At the 4th Street Fair 2006

Matt Blake at Union Street in 1999 with Chris Turner with whom he would create the Millennium Bell Sculpture in Grand Circus Park.

Matt would die suddenly of a heart attack on May 10, 2008 at Age 43. Obituary by Rebecca Mazzei, now owner the Trinosophe’s art space. Ten years losing his creativity already. Where do the years go?
    Thank You Lowell. I've reached out to several leads but have not heard back. The piece we have was made in 2001, it's nearly 6' long! Just trying to find the proper home for it as its quite the frieze!

Thank You Lowell. I've reached out to several leads but have not heard back. The piece we have was made in 2001, it's nearly 6' long! Just trying to find the proper home for it as its quite the frieze!
    I will try to add a pic from the listing
    https://www.estatesales.net/MI/Redford/48239/1942212

We postponed the sale until Sept 14-16 2018

We delayed the sale until this weekend. It starts Friday 5-7 pm and tehn Sat & Sun 10-4.

Have not heard anything other then what is posted above!

Sold at the sale and being donated to the Romulus VFW location!

Searching for Sugar Man is now on Netflix.