Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Aretha Franklin - The Queen of Soul has Passed On

SAD UPDATE: The Queen of Soul has passed

A publicist for Aretha Franklin says the Queen of Soul died Thursday at her home in Detroit.

Franklin, 76, was hospice care in her Detroit home, sources have told multiple media outlets.

People prayed before dawn Wednesday at a vigil at New Bethel Baptist Church, the Detroit church once led by the singer's late father, the nationally renowned pastor and civil rights activist the Rev. C.L. Franklin.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...lin-dies-at-76

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Thoughts and prayers for the Queen of Soul and Detroit legend Aretha Franklin.

"This follows an earlier report from Roger Friedman's Showbiz 411:

"The Queen of Soul, who turned 76 in March, is surrounded by "family and people close to her" in Detroit.

"In March, Franklin canceled two concerts scheduled in New Jersey.

"Franklin's most recent performance was Nov. 2, 2017 at the Elton John AIDS Foundation in New York and her final public performance was at Philadelphia’s Mann Center in August 2017."

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...ick/974630002/

One of my favorites, Aretha at 14 in her father's church.

Extremely sad news. Undeniably one of the greatest artists ever to come out of our extraordinarily fertile music scene. The news is, alas, not totally unexpected, as news has floated out of her family members for some time regarding the precarious state of her health, even as she kept performing as she loved to do.

The cluelessly vile comments on that Free Press article are a view into the ugly side of our area though, and a reminder never to read such comments sections.

Prayers and good thoughts to Ms. Franklin, as all sickness is not unto death. I hate when people go on the 'death watch' -- no man knows the exact hour.

The person with a stop watch on someone may find their own death pending fast.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-13-18 at 08:37 PM.

A very Great artist indeed from a superlative music city.

I hope she gets better and that she is not suffering too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    "The Queen of Soul, who turned 76 in March,
    I thought she was a lot older.

No other voice can compare.

Prayers to Aretha’s family & friends.

Our beloved Aretha has died at 76...

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...ies/309137002/

We are all heartbroken.

"I say a little prayer for you...."

Very sad. She leaves quite a legacy behind of both talent and improving this world through her charitable actions.

Very sad. Her voice was incredible and she was a good person.

As a child, I received candy from her at her house on Halloween. Also saw her at the auto show pre-party a couple of times.

Prayers and condolences to family members.

'Like A Bridge Over Troubled Waters'

Peace to her and her family.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-18 at 10:21 PM.

A truely great talent with a incredible voice that will inspire for generations to come.

Rest peacefully Aretha with condolences to your loved ones.

Thank you, Aretha for saving soul music for everyone.

^^^ Yes, singers like her are a benchmark for me of what music talent is.

RIP Aretha The music will live on forever... Whaler
    https://youtu.be/HGdxpnGK2o4

Her star shines on.

Just heard a funny story about her on the news. Apparently, Aretha insisted on being paid in cash [[not quite sure if that was an on going thing), she would put it in her purse and it was kept under the piano while performing. Who knew

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Apparently, Aretha insisted on being paid in cash [[not quite sure if that was an on going thing), she would put it in her purse and it was kept under the piano while performing. Who knew
    Shrewd! Contrasts with the stories of musicians getting ripped off over and over again and never figuring it out.

Here she is at 70 years old singing opera [[filling in for an ailing Pavoratti) which she was also phenomenal at:

Last edited by JBMcB; August-16-18 at 04:05 PM.

Obligatory:

I’m an individual who happens to like this one. I like it a lot better than Natalie Cole’s Pink Cadillac which was too tame. This is a perfect Detroit tune with the proper backdrop to boot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip_pjb5_fgA

I saw Aretha in the early 1990s at Detroit's Music Hall, when she was doing a "Drinking and Driving" commercial to her Blues Brothers movie song "You Better Think"...

One of my favorite of her songs [[which showcases her unique voice in it's full glory) was a collaboration between our dearly departed Aretha, and the late George Michael.... they're probably singing this in heaven!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCWLhlJV0Y

RIP to our dearly departed Aretha....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast