Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    This is not cool, especially now.
    I concur Cincinnati_Kid. There was no sane reason to bring this up.

Per the latest update I received, Bishop Charles Ellis at Greater Grace has convinced Aretha's family to open her funeral to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Per the latest update I received, Bishop Charles Ellis at Greater Grace has convinced Aretha's family to open her funeral to the public.
    Hadn't heard that. They didn't say anything about the change on the news last night.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I heard on WWJ radio this morning that apparently this was a mistake on Bishop Ellis’ part. The funeral was never opened to the public at all. It will be private for family & friends only as previously stated.

It it would be a mad house if Aretha’s furneral was opened to the public.

^^^ Yes, I say let the family have their privacy.

They said on tonight’s news is they’ve added a day of viewing at BethEl But that’s the funeral it’s self is still a private ceremony
    Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    I heard on WWJ radio this morning that apparently this was a mistake on Bishop Ellis’ part. The funeral was never opened to the public at all. It will be private for family & friends only as previously stated.

It it would be a mad house if Aretha’s furneral was opened to the public.

Updates regarding viewing and funeral of Aretha Franklin

2,000 members of public to be allowed in Franklin funeral
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...al/1149165002/

As museum doors close, fans rush for Franklin farewell
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ay/1123517002/
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-30-18 at 07:27 PM.

The funeral is going to be on TV. So much for privacy.
    Is anyone else creeped out by the hauling of Aretha around town, the costume changes etc.? She's not resting in peace so far!

^^^ She's not setting a precedent per se. The bodies of entertainers, rulers, royals and dignitaries have been similarly showcased in the past.

I'm keeping my mind on the celebration and love [[from one to another and for her) that's been present at the events.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-30-18 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Is anyone else creeped out by the hauling of Aretha around town, the costume changes etc.? She's not resting in peace so far!
    I have to agree. She was extremely private so I'm not to sure if she'd be too happy. Then again, she knew she was dying so I'm wondering if she planned it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I have to agree. She was extremely private so I'm not to sure if she'd be too happy. Then again, she knew she was dying so I'm wondering if she planned it this way.
    I thought I heard on the news that the family planned it.

What, to me, is the weirdest and I believe unprecedented thing is the changing of her clothes between viewings. Never heard of that before

I can't beleive it has not happened before, but not often the US, but part of burial rituals elsewhere.

The hearse I am reading now was the same one used for Rosa Parks:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-31-18 at 09:04 AM.

Thank You, Pam. The only other fiasco that I can remember being was worse than this was when James Brown died. I get the viewing and the funeral, but it's going totally irreverent.

She was sick for quite a while. I'm certain she had plenty of input as far as how this was going to all go down.

Aretha Franklin was a personal person, but she also understood exactly how important she was to the local community and the entire world. She was an always aware of her status. While some consider it "parading her body around" I'm sure she understood just how important it would be for the public to have the opportunity to say farewell to her, and the scale of this event seems appropriate for her status as one of the greatest entertainers of all time.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/29/enter...ral/index.html

Owens told CNN a great deal of thought has gone into how to honor her aunt, who, she said, didn't leave behind any final instructions.

As I understand it from people I know who were close to her, Aretha, in a way typical of her as a fighter of all the many things that came her way, refused up to the very end to acknowledge that she was dying. Hence the lack of funeral planning [[although I don't think her family has done a bad job of it so far), and, worse, the almost unbelievable lack of a will

I think this is the most impressive funeral program I've ever seen, for anyone. She has an avalanche of A-listers. Wow! She deserves it.

Also, LOLing at the schedule. This funeral will take all day, and then some. Like 20 VIPs all scheduled for 5 minutes + 10 black preachers scheduled for prayer intersessions. Good luck with that! I love Bill Clinton but he's a windbag. And never heard of a black preacher that just read their prayer and exited. Gonna be praising Jesus till nightfall.

Yep. It'll be some schedule for the non clerical as well, who might otherwise wax on!! Another example of misinformation re. what goes in church. All churches are not the same. Not even within the same denomination.

On the light note stereotypes are often the base of popular comedy......

HAVING SAID THAT, let me clarify that in my experience there are scores of black pastors, not engaged in clownery, bush-whacking and other long-winded theatrics --- never referenced by the scorners.

Or nor known by them as/ if they don't go into a church often.

I cannot speak to what the agenda, content of preaching, tradition, oratory style, or prayer[[s) that will be occuring at Franklins funeral, or buy who.

But for the record [[before and beyond Ms. Franklin's service) there are many church pastors that provide, orderly, expository teaching, sans an 'all day' bru-hah-hah. Teaching that engages the spirit and the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Your racist stereotyping is pathetic. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. But you have demonstrated innumerable times on this board that you have no shame.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-31-18 at 12:54 PM.

It is going to be VERY tight, schedule-wise that's for sure; for the secular or clerical or musical person[[s) for that matter!

I've attended GG Temple, it is ample, well air-conditioned and very comfortable.

So at least those factors are covered!

Last edited by Zacha341; August-31-18 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ...I've attended GG Temple, it is ample, well air-conditioned and very comfortable.

So at least those factors are covered!
    My wife and I have also had the privilege of being invited to services at Greater Grace Temple and you are very much correct. It is, indeed, a very comfortable and welcoming place.

Re. the funeral, say whatever you want about tacky Dailymail.co.uk, they usually have a great deal of coverage in photos [[once you ignore the trash/ crap they run on all sides and inbetween a given story)!

'She was the composer of her own life song': Bill Clinton brings tears and laughter to Detroit Temple as he recounts his awestruck encounter with Aretha Franklin... before playing her music from his PHONE

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...er-attend.html
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-31-18 at 01:59 PM.

Quite few have spoken so far. Still some to go:

https://www.cnn.com/entertainment/li...ral/index.html

DjeeZ!

Does Jesse Jackson look frail or what!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast