Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Charter Revision: The Aftermath

The results of the election ended with Proposal R passing by 175 votes.

At this point, the 2012 Detroit City Charter will be opened for revision by a charter revision committee. This could have an negative effect for those that have lived in the city before Mike Duggan became mayor.

Those that disagree that the charter revision would bring negative pressure against the present majority-black population, are welcome to post their views and explain how this would benefit all of Detroit as a whole.

My opposition was based on the possibility of the charter revision having an effect on local public transit.

Please post your opinions on how the revision of the Detroit city Charter will benefit the citizens of Detroit.

I voted "no." Generally, most things that came out around the bankruptcy have been good for the city. In particular, the Charter switching over to districts for City Council has been good, in my opinion.

I am hoping any Charter review is minimal, or makes no changes to the Charter.

Where can I sign up for the inevitable 6-figure salary that comes with being on this review committee?

Could it be used to prohibit/abolish Condo Associations, Tenant Committees, and so on? Or is that beyond the reach?

Revise the Zoning Board and process to rein in 'familiarities' and 'inside friends'?

Detroiters do need to adjust charters. It's fine as is.

Makes sense...

i guess we'll see what happens. how do you file to be on the charter commission group?