Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Peoples Art Fair, Russell Industrial Center

Peoples Art Fair, tomorrow and Sunday at The Russell Industrial Center, On Clay off of i75 at Clay exit, Lots of artists, music, vendors. Its a great time! Check it out! See You there!

Ill be there with the wife, dreadlocked guru friend and hippy couple Larry and Sherry.....

Saturday after 8pm have to work late.....picked up some art [[Butcher Boy) and [[Scary Nurse) from local dark artist Audrey Pongrancz..couple of years back....

hopefully it will be packed with people last few have been light when i have gone

It should be great! I bought a Gary Grimshaw t-shirt last year ... from Gary Grimshaw. Rock on!

It was a great time except for one unfortunate situation.

I thought I saw Whaler checking out a photo and went up to him and said, "Hey Whaler, ... looking gooood." Like a LesuireSuitLarry, or a LarryFlint with legs. And who turns around ... a zaftig woman with her girlfriend.

oh boy.

diver1369 Guest

Wasn't Larry Sherry a relief pitcher for the 1960s Dodgers?

Gnome, I'm guessing you made it out alive!

It was super-windy, but still a good time.

Had a good time there Saturday afternoon. But I'm wondering, why were there not more open studios inside the building as in the past. The first year was great, more going on inside than outside.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STEELWORKER View Post
    hopefully it will be packed with people last few have been light when i have gone
    there have only been two festivals previous to this years.

i had a booth the last two years, but this year being two days was too much for me to want to deal with so i opted out. wasn't able to get to it this year as a patron though unfortunately as i kind of wanted to check it out.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    why were there not more open studios inside the building as in the past. The first year was great, more going on inside than outside.
    russell management. apparently there was a lot of vandalism in lesser occupied spaces when the buildings were open during the festival and not enough security to go around. also, many of the artists already had booths planned for outside

come by for open studios during artdetroitnow october 3 7pm to Midnight

I noticed that there werent all the inside studios the last couple of years...hung out Sunday had a nice time...an artist had wood, paint and paper plates along with paint-brushes etc for individuals to make their own art I thought that was cool. The barefoot hula hoop girls that were twirling the hoops when Lucky Brown played the loading dock were intriguing. Lots of colorful characters........

I attended Saturday night. Attendance seemed a little sparse to me. It is interesting that the 60% of the crowd seems to be 40 years or older. Or is it 50 years or older? ... like art is dying out with the boomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Had a good time there Saturday afternoon. But I'm wondering, why were there not more open studios inside the building as in the past. The first year was great, more going on inside than outside.
    The resident artists and craftspeople at the Russell have had open houses in the spring and fall for several years. These are indoor events and allow visitors to see the artists and their studios.

The People's Art Festival was added in 2007 as a complement to the open houses and was not limited to Russell artists. It was intended to be, primarily, an outdoor festival. A few places were open indoors in the past, particularly galleries, that worked better on the inside. Most of the Russell artists have booths outside for the PAF, and you can't be two places at once.

If you want to see the studios, come back for one of the Open Houses or the ArtDetroitNow event that gravitymachine referred to above: http://artdetroitnow.com/2009.html