Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eastside Memories!

OK, can anyone help me out? I've got all these memories of growing up in the east suburbs and wanted to know if anyone else remembers these things...Does my memory serve me well? Some of it I can find on the Net and some I can't.
    Lived in St. Clair Shores, 9 and Harper, 1980s... went sledding at Balduck Park near St. John's... was there a big old hospital on Windmill Point?...a basement section of about 4-5 shops at Eastland Mall [[a restaurant and Hallmark shop down there?)...statues at Eastland and maybe Macomb Mall [[Lion and mouse?)...Punch and Judy theater...Woods theater next to St. John's...Arthur Treachers...restaurant that turned into Red Lobster on Mack next to Parcells Middle School [[what was it called originally?)...Friar Tucks on Mack near SCS border?...a drive-in at 9 and Harper [[maybe where Kmart is?)...A & P at 9 1/2 Mile...Shorecrest Lanes burning down and then being rebuilt [[I was in Kindergarten right across the street, freaked me out, biggest fire I ever saw)...tornado in about 1985...flood around that same time- I swam in the street...Milkmen from Twin Pines delivering to our house...

Here are some Eastside Memories!

I've attached a few pictures to help jog those memories! A couple from Balduck Park and three from Eastland including one of the Lion and Mouse. The other two were taken at the doorway of Hudson's [[now Marshall Field's) to/from the "group of stores in the basement" which was known as the Concourse.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

I don't remember what restaurant was in the Concourse at Eastland but rather than a "Hallmark shop" I remember a place called McDevitt's which I believe also sold Catholic/religious supplies.

That hill at Balduck sure doesn't look anywhere nearly as impressive in a photo as it did in person as a five year old riding a sled, does it?

If you really want to find yourself sucked into spending oodles of time on the net searching for more pictures of memories, you'll be sure to want to bookmark this site if you haven't already: http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...vmc;page=index

Sanders was down the basement where Victoria's secret is [[or was). Just talking about that yesterday. Worked at Pier I in the late 70's early 80's and we would get lunch at Arthur Treachers. Also, saw Sexy Rexy....lololol...at Shorecrest in the mid 80's! Have pictures too! Saw one of the last movies at the Punch and Judy, the name I can't remember, where the audience dress as the characters. "let's do the time warp again..."
    Last edited by Maof; May-11-13 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    Here are some Eastside Memories!
    Haggerty is the last name of one of the band members isn't it? Know his brother and family very well...lives around the block. I remember those concerts at Eastland. Saw Danny and the Jrs. and Chubby Checker in the 70's They also had carnivals in the parking lot around the same time.
    Last edited by Maof; May-11-13 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    ... Saw one of the last movies at the Punch and Judy, the name I can't remember, where the audience dress as the characters. "let's do the time warp again..."
    That would be Rocky Horror Picture Show.

What a weird cultural tradition that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That would be Rocky Horror Picture Show.

What a weird cultural tradition that is.
    that's it jimaz!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Haggerty is the last name of one of the band members isn't it? Know his brother and family very well...lives around the block. I remember those concerts at Eastland. Saw Danny and the Jrs. and Chubby Checker in the 70's They also had carnivals in the parking lot around the same time.
    Mike "FLASH" Haggerty

Back in the 70's, the Concourse also had Lady Orva's, a shop that sold women's stockings; Artiste hair salon and an art/office supply store.
    At 9 and Harper, there was a Red Barn on the southwest corner; famous for their chicken and burgers. I think the KMart was there from the 60's.
    Closest hospital I remember to Windmill Pointe would have been Bon Secours.

Apparently, there was the Marine Hospital at the foot of Alter Rd.

This is from an archived thread on this site:
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1202349971

Yes it was Rocky Horror Picture Show... where you were much better off if you were sitting up in the balcony... rather than under the balcony overhang... where water, toast or rice would come streaming down...

Also... at Eastland... the former Kresge's store also had basement retail area with a flight of stairs going down.

And the only drive-ins in the area were the Eastside Drive-in [[east of Our Lady Queen of Peace) in Harper Woods... and the Gratiot Drive-in near 14 Mile Rd. in Roseville.

There was the Bel-Air at 8 Mile and Van Dyke, too.

I lived right across the bridge from east side drive in. last movie I saw there was the omen, I think in 1976. oh and gistok, when we went to see the rocky horror movie, we sat right in that spot. but, at the time, not everyone was getting into dressing in character quite yet. just a few hear and there.

Restaurant in the concourse was the Lemon Tree.

That square building in the Balduck photo: If we're not referring to the tennis court building, it must be the Detroit Water Department bulding. I think there was an underground water reservoir there also. As you look at the building in the picture, just in front of it used to be an archery range. Across Canyon Street was the Babcock Co-Op Apartments [[early condos?) and then at the corner was Rightenbergs [[sp?) RCA store.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    Restaurant in the concourse was the Lemon Tree.
    oh I remember the lemon tree. wasn't there also a stouffers restaurant?

Yep, east end of the mall. That became a seafood place and the surounding area a foodcourt. Foodcourt moved to different spot now, west of the big court last I saw it a couple of years ago. The place looked pretty sad compared to the 90s when I worked nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    That square building in the Balduck photo: If we're not referring to the tennis court building, it must be the Detroit Water Department bulding. I think there was an underground water reservoir there also. As you look at the building in the picture, just in front of it used to be an archery range. Across Canyon Street was the Babcock Co-Op Apartments [[early condos?) and then at the corner was Rightenbergs [[sp?) RCA store.
    I remember the archery range. Also in the winter there would be ice skating in front of another building just east of the hill. They also sold hot chocolate in that building by the skating area.

Restaurant on Mack by Parcells was originally Howard Johnsons. Basement at Eastland there was a card shop don't recall if it was Hallmark, a shoe repair place, and yeah Sander's Cafeteria, I worked there in 1968. Some kind of medical something in the basement there too, I got one of my polio shots there, if memory serves. No drive in at 9 & Harper, before the shopping area was built it was woods, and had a rudimentary skating pond in the winter. Oh wait....do you mean like a restaurant drive-in? Yeah, there was one there...I think on the s.e. corner? We had Bordens delivered.

Why not , grew up on the east side, graduated, Finney High. WSU graduate. Shared many memories. Look at past posts. Some of these "memories" are serious retarded. But then, I think, love nostalgia.

Last edited by black gold man; December-26-13 at 06:30 PM.

Wasn't the basement at Eastland called the concourse? In the sixties there was a coin shop down there. One of their glass counter case had trays of loose unsorted coins on a carousel which you could make rotate by pushing a big red button and search for a lucky find. I spent hours there as a kid. Best find was a very fine 1907 Indian Head penny with a nice patina. And up until just a few years ago there was a small U. S. Post Office. There was also a rumor about what could happen in the Men's restroom to the right of the phones at the right of the bottom of the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    Wasn't the basement at Eastland called the concourse? In the sixties there was a coin shop down there. One of their glass counter case had trays of loose unsorted coins on a carousel which you could make rotate by pushing a big red button and search for a lucky find. I spent hours there as a kid. Best find was a very fine 1907 Indian Head penny with a nice patina. And up until just a few years ago there was a small U. S. Post Office. There was also a rumor about what could happen in the Men's restroom to the right of the phones at the right of the bottom of the stairs.
    The Concourse also had Artiste hair salon, Lady Orva's hosiery, McDermott's religious store, and art supply store and maybe another store or two. It had an escalator entrance over near the Hudson Annex store, I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast