Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Wayne State scrapping 'The Vernor'

Wayne State may ditch $60 million mixed-use plan at Cass and Canfield after years of delays

• The Vernor development, with apartments, hotel and retail, is years behind schedule
    • Wayne State, which owns the property, is considering whether to move in a different direction with 1.5-acre site
    • Developer Broder & Sachse is shifting from apartments to condos after re-examining project economics

It had been planned for 248 apartments, a 120-room hotel, 19,000 square feet of retail and a 300-person conference center after awarding an April 2013 request for proposals to Broder & Sachse and entering into a memorandum of understanding for the $60 million project with the developer in November 2013.

2013 proposal here

perhaps we should add other dead/dying midtown projects:

Wayne State University Physicians Clinic

The Mondrian aka The Woodward @ Midtown

SoMA Detroit

Midtown West - maybe still alive
    Last edited by hybridy; August-02-18 at 08:50 AM.

The WSU Physicians Building was cancelled years ago.

The Mondrian was also cancelled years ago and the project was recreated as a residential building called The Woodward at Midtown in 2016. I’m honestly not sure if this project is alive or not, though.

SoMA is still alive. The project has changed from its original incarnation. They are currently leasing space. http://somamidtowndetroit.com

Midtown West is still alive and is slated to begin construction in spring 2019. We last heard about the development this past February. http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-that-did-nycs

Edit: just noticed we linked to the same article for Midtown West.
    Last edited by NSortzi; August-02-18 at 09:00 AM.

imho gilbert is flooding the market with his own projects i highly doubt midtown west or soma can compete...

Of the developments listed, I feel like SoMA might be the most important. The location, proximity to Whole Foods and new Brush Park developments should be a major plus for the development.

I've been of the opinion for awhile that Wayne State doesn't really know what it's doing. About anything.

Anecdotal, but the amount of friends on Facebook bitching about Wayne State admin is quite something.

Their whole snafu with DMC seemed to be on them.

The Mike Illitch School of Business site looks shitty. I get it's part of the arena district too which also looks haphazardly done [[a whole other story, of course). Maybe it will change within the next month?

They kick out Preservation Detroit and Urban Consulate and there's no real time frame to move Mackenzie House, any move on understanding logistics around moving such a house, or a use for it afterwards. Just vague promises of "don't worry about it, we'll move it and it will be used".

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I've been of the opinion for awhile that Wayne State doesn't really know what it's doing. About anything.
    ah yes...just like they bulldozed a nice run down block at warren + woodward for a gravel lot...errr um..Park with 'whimsical' sidewalks

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...n-amp-Woodward
    Last edited by hybridy; August-02-18 at 01:16 PM.

Between this and the Market Gateway project on the other thread ... what's with the flashback to 60s/70s building designs? Another thread about architecture should mean people can come up with more appealing designs other than the old steel and glass look. And I don't mean pizza slices either.

Can't they do some faux nostalgic/historic looks? Buildings with character rather than buildings that look like they house characters.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    ah yes...just like they bulldozed a nice run down block at warren + woodward for a gravel lot...errr um..Park with 'whimsical' sidewalks

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...n-amp-Woodward
    Ugh that strip was such a lost and for me, so sudden. Provided a real urban corner that's now lost. Or until something similar is ever built, but not holding my breath if WSU owns the parcel.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Ugh that strip was such a lost and for me, so sudden. Provided a real urban corner that's now lost. Or until something similar is ever built, but not holding my breath if WSU owns the parcel.
    That was literally one of the ugliest corners in Detroit. That hideous, decrepit, red wooden sided building was no loss.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    perhaps we should add other dead/dying midtown projects:

Wayne State University Physicians Clinic

The Mondrian aka The Woodward @ Midtown

SoMA Detroit

Midtown West - maybe still alive
    The SOMA project is still on, and it was announced in April that a West Elm Hotel will be included in that development

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fre.../amp/520985002

They’re also currently leasing office and retail space in the new builds at SoMA as well as in the two existing former Red Cross buildings which will see some renovations. http://www.friedmanrealestate.com/pr...it-development

oh well... :-[[