Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Loft development proposed for downtown Wyandotte

With the ever-continuing comeback of Detroit this effect has started to be felt within it's inner-ring suburbs as well.

This rendering was posted this morning on a Wyandotte-related Facebook group. This is a new loft development that is being proposed in downtown Wyandotte at Oak and 2nd Streets on the site of the former post office, vacant since it moved last year.

The architectural style looks more like something that could be built in Midtown or Royal Oak. It will be about eight floors in height.

The Facebook post containing this rendering also had a question of whether it would be positive or negative for downtown Wyandotte, with hundreds of negative comments. I'll try asking the same question here...is this development a good fit for downtown Wyandotte or not?

Wyandotte is an inner ring suburb now? I would think that distinction would fall to River Rouge or Ecorse, both of which fall between Detroit and Wyandotte.

I certainly think something like this would bring some energy to their downtown which is already the best of any downriver community. I would think people in the area would be all for it since new development is pretty sparse in the area.

I was hoping they weren't proposing to demolish a classic old post office, but what I see from street view is... not remarkable. Not that the new design is anything special, but I like the street level retail.

While not exactly the most attractive building, I think its a great idea to add more density downtown. There's a few empty lots near there that could use some nice similar sized retail/residential developments, too.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    I was hoping they weren't proposing to demolish a classic old post office, but what I see from street view is... not remarkable.
    Of course the former post office on that site now isn't anything remarkable, it was built in 1965.

The location is just *ok*- nothing more. While it is close to Captain’s and Magdaleno’s, the rest of downtown is more centered along Sycamore. Though it still is a quick drive to downtown up Jefferson——> Fort. Should be a successful development.

I grew up Downriver. It's right off the main drag of Biddle. It would probably fit better on Biddle Ave or the empty lot quite literally one block over at 1st and Elm.

Regardless, I think this will be a solid development for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I'll try asking the same question here...is this development a good fit for downtown Wyandotte or not?
    Is this a good proposal?

It all depends on what direction Wyandotte wants its downtown to go. Does it want to remain a charming small town downtown in the mode of Plymouth or Rochester or Northville?

Or does it want to be become a node of high-density urban living and a magnet for young professionals who want to live/play in a vibrant downtown in the mode of a Ferndale, Royal Oak, or what Pontiac should be. It all depends on what they want their downtown to become.

I was down that way today for the Jazz Festival [[in Trenton), and the riverfront adjacent to downtown Wyandotte just can't be beat by Ferndale or Royal Oak.
    Last edited by masterblaster; August-05-18 at 11:28 PM.

Found this Facebook page which also currently acts as this development's main website.
    https://www.facebook.com/W-Suites-an...7270804809903/

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Is this a good proposal?

It all depends on what direction Wyandotte wants its downtown to go. Does it want to remain a charming small town downtown in the mode of Plymouth or Rochester or Northville?

Or does it want to be become a node of high-density urban living and a magnet for young professionals who want to live/play in a vibrant downtown in the mode of a Ferndale, Royal Oak, or what Pontiac should be. It all depends on what they want their downtown to become.

I was down that way today for the Jazz Festival [[in Trenton), and the riverfront adjacent to downtown Wyandotte just can't be beat by Ferndale or Royal Oak.
    The many negative comments I've seen regarding to this development on Facebook are related to this "taking away Wyandotte's small town charm". But, if Wyandotte wants to become a metropolis, then allow it to be.