Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: Should the Detroit city charter be revised?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 33.33%
  • No

4 66.67%

Default Detroit Charter Revision

On August 7, 2018, Proposal R will be on the primary ballot in the city of Detroit.

Proposal R asks Detroit if they favor a "general revision" of the City Charter. If opened, the Charter could be changed in many ways.

The last time the city charter has been revised was in 2012.

What do you think about revising the charter? Note: Only city of Detroit residents can vote for, or against this proposal.

Personally, I'm against it. But I would like to know what those on the forum think about whether to revise it or not.

Not a city resident, but what are some issues with the charter that need revising?

Terms like 'general revision' should scare the bejeebers out of most. SPECIFIC revisions should be suggested.

Unless I am reading this wrong, the vote is to allow the charter to be revised but does not get into what those specific revisions will be. Defining those revisions will be up to a yet-to-be-elected committee that will require additional budget. That's a no for me dawg, unless someone can point out serious flaws within the current charter.

If anybody is looking for some night time reading here are 120 pages of the current one.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...MMENTARY_1.pdf

It's the municipal equivalent of a constitutional convention. Once it's opened, everything and anything is subject to revision, deletion and addition.

The vote on a general charter revision is provided for in the 2012 charter itself, not by any specific interested party.

Section 9-403 was included in the 2012 Charter. It states:
    Sec. 9-403 Revision Question

The question of whether there shall be a general revision of the City Charter shall be submitted to the voters of the City of Detroit at the gubernatorial primary of 2018, and every fourth [[4th) gubernatorial primary thereafter and may be submitted at other times in the manner prescribed by law. A primary election shall be held for the offices of the Charter Revision Commissioners at the same election and shall be void if the proposition to revise is not adopted. If the proposition to revise is adopted, Charter Revision Commissioners shall be elected at the ensuring general election for Governor.

I'm not sure if the City needs a general revision, but this clause gives voters a choice [[and a reminder) if they feel like one is needed.
    Last edited by etbusch; July-31-18 at 12:13 PM.

This is new to me. Before I'd even consider opening such an issue is if there's a good basic argument about why the current charter isn't adequate.

If I recall correctly, the 1974 election of CAYoung was concurrent with a major charter revision that took us from a very decentralized power structure to a 'strong mayor' model. And of course CAY was a strong person. Whether or not you liked CAY, you have to admit that this charter change had a massive effect on our City.

Tread carefully -- and only with a pre-defined and broadly agreed-upon goal.