Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default July 28 Fireworks - Why???

Last night there were fireworks going off around me [[I live in Hamtramck, but at least one was in Detroit. These weren't amateur fireworks, but low-level professional shows. Some of them had to be at least 10-inch mortars. I could find no holidays. A friend said they were going off in Clawson too.

Any ideas why?

Because people can buy those now and set them off but legally only within the 3 days around national holidays. I live in Clawson and idiots set them off here all summer and around Christmas and New Year, and, yes they are the "low-level professional" ones.

I misspoke by calling them low-level, as that indicates aerial shells that don't reach over 200 feet. These were higher than that, as I could see them above the trees from quite a distance. the size of the displays and the shaped shells indicate that either pros were doing the show, or an individual spent thousands to put on those shows - as the types I saw aren't the type you can set off with a flare - they generally require electronic ignition.

These were 20 minute shows, with continuous displays.

Hamtramck had a family night at Keyworth with a fireworks show last night.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Last night there were fireworks going off around me [[I live in Hamtramck, but at least one was in Detroit. These weren't amateur fireworks, but low-level professional shows. Some of them had to be at least 10-inch mortars. I could find no holidays. A friend said they were going off in Clawson too.

Any ideas why?
    Consider yourself lucky because I lived in Chinatown in Chicago for many years, I had to deal with these types of firework shows every Sunday morning for many years. After several months I finally asked the reasoning behind the every weekwnd early morning shows and was told the loud noise and lights " scared off the demons" from the partying and debauchery that occured Friday and Saturday. Police had no issue with it due to city being a cultural thing. I'm not sure if that's the reason behind your issue, but that was mine.

If the fireworks bother you next time it happens just open the door and scream "Get off my lawn!" You'll feel much better.

Or you could start a letter writing campaign, but I've heard they're rather ineffective.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/party-goes...ld-subdivision

Quote Originally Posted by ConantNHolbrook View Post
    Question answered. Not sure who would complain abut this. Unexpected impromptu fireworks sounds like free fun!

It's obnoxious. Especially if you have a dog. My poor dog, would literally, pant and shake and end up on my head for comfort I have a neighbor who blew off the big ones in the middle of a residential street. Next day, we found the aftermath in the front yard and backyard. When we cleaned the gutters shortly thereafter, it was on the roof. He's still an asshole.

I'm more into spelling your name with a sparkler. The good ole' days

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Question answered. Not sure who would complain abut this. Unexpected impromptu fireworks sounds like free fun!
    Yeah, terrorizing pets, waking babies, blowing out eardrums [[and sometimes body parts), causing brush fires, all for the pleasure of blowing 10k on illegal fireworks sounds like a blast. The ER rooms and ENT docs are thankful, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ConantNHolbrook View Post
    That explains the one - and it was bigger than the other two. I can usually hear the DCFC crowds on game days. Started late for a "family night" - 11ish

It did start late. I live kitty corner from the Keyworth gates; waitedon the fireworks from my porch till 9 or so, gave up and went to bed. They've been doing them off and on for some years, since a firefighter wrote an essay about Hamtramck's diversity for a cable travel channel competition I can't recall, and won a fair and the show for the community. They seem to have lots of free activities and fun for the [[often very poor) neighborhood kids, so I say keep it coming. Neighborhood disruption is minimal; less than a DCFC game. Who don't bother me, either. The south end deserves some dollars, and some recognition for the surprisingly pleasant place it is to live.