Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DarkRoom Detroit

Walking photography tour of Corktown next week.
    Event is hosted by
    Darkroom Detroit, a non-profit
    for pohotography access, education, and visual literacy.
    Aug. 2 -
    Thu 5:30 PM · Hostel Detroit · Detroit, Michigan

WARNING: Thread hijack follows!

Darkroom. How a word brings back old memories. Dad allowed me to be an apprentice in his darkroom, which was just a corner of the basement. The smell of the developers and fixers was unique, and just hearing the word "darkroom" initiated the memory of those delightful odors. I think the last time I developed prints that way was probably forty years ago or so. Damn, it was fun seeing the finished products take form in that tray of liquid. Alas, we only worked on B&W. Doing color would have been a whole different ballgame.

Today, of course, 99% of photo prints are from digital images pumped out of a computer printer. Fast, efficient, and superb quality. But jeez; how I miss that chemical smell.

Sigh.
    Last edited by Ray1936; July-29-18 at 11:05 AM.