Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SCOOP: Brewster-Douglass site redevelopment by Bedrock!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ment-at-former

"It's also expected to include 3.2 acres of public space, 19,000 square feet of retail, another 60,000 square feet of early childhood education space and a hotel with approximately 80 rooms. In addition, the area's street grid is expected to be re-established and connections across I-75 are planned."

About a quarter of the rental units are slated to be affordable to those making no more than 80 percent or less of the area median income.

Construction is expected to begin next summer, Bedrock executives told Crain's in an interview Wednesday afternoon. The project will likely be built in multiple phases, with some of the first units coming online about two years from the start of construction.

This is all so exciting. Love that they're re-establishing the street grid and connections over 75.. do they mean another street connection or maybe just more pedestrian walkways? This and city modern nearby are DRASTICALLY improving brush park.
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; July-25-18 at 08:41 PM.

The Google cheat is not working for this article but seems like great news! From the aerial image, notice that the I-75 ring road is actually brought closer into the site at less of an angle. This could be due to the idea that 375 will be removed in the future at that curve and it will become the designed major movement of I-75 [[as it already is the major movement without the design).
    Last edited by rbdetsport; July-29-18 at 01:22 AM.

The nature of Brush Park being bound by I-75 on two sides will make it both attractive and a little isolated at the same time. Residents will appreciate the lack of cut-through traffic. But they will also have to find services outside their immediate neighborhood. If I am a small business owner I'm looking at Mack Ave for future development opportunities. A vibrant Brush Park and Eastern Market could really spur development East on Mack Ave.

It's unfortunate that some of the Brewster Homes are built along Mack Avenue. Taking out nine of those buildings there would make room for retail along Mack. Yes, it displaces those living there. Maybe they could move to this new complex. It will never happen but it's a thought.

BTW, I would like to know how Gilbert is able to develop this property. Former "public housing" sites are usually turned into Hope VI mixed-use communities. Is Gilbert paying HUD back the money that HUD spent to demolish the original Brewster-Douglass projects?
    Last edited by royce; July-26-18 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    The Google cheat is not working for this article but seems like great news! From the aerial image, notice that the I-75 ring road is actually brought closer into the sight at less of an angle. This could be due to the idea that 375 will be removed in the future at that curve will become the designed major movement of I-75 [[as it already is the major movement without the design).
    Glad to see they are implementing the new I-75 alignment as part of the design. I was wondering what would happen if someone started developing that without that in mind. The future I-75 alignment cuts into a small slice of the Brewster site.

Excuse me, but I do not see any realignment of I-75 in the rendering. Looking at Google Earth, I see exactly what's in the rendering. The only slight change is that in the rendering the southbound lanes of I-75 appear to be narrower but that's due to the trees in the rendering blocking the view. Also, the pedestrian bridge that exists just south of Alfred Street has been moved up to appear as if it might be a car bridge but it's still a pedestrian bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    It's unfortunate that some of the Brewster Homes are built along Mack Avenue.
    It's unfortunate that they were built in their current configuration at all. The entire low density, garden style development is far more suited to the exurbs than Midtown.

Excuse me, but I do not see any realignment of I-75 in the rendering. Looking at Google Earth, I see exactly what's in the rendering. The only slight change is that in the rendering the southbound lanes of I-75 appear to be narrower but that's due to the trees in the rendering blocking the view. Also, the pedestrian bridge that exists just south of Alfred Street has been moved up to appear as if it might be a car bridge but it's still a pedestrian bridge.
    He wasn't implying that the rendering shows 75 realigned, but that the buildings are set back from it in that corner because down the line there will be a realignment there.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    He wasn't implying that the rendering shows 75 realigned, but that the buildings are set back from it in that corner because down the line there will be a realignment there.
    Thank you for clarifying this, Ryan. That is indeed what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    Thank you for clarifying this, Ryan. That is indeed what I was referring to.
    You and Southern must be viewing a different rendering. I see no set-back that accomodates a future realignment of 75.

You and Southern must be viewing a different rendering. I see no set-back that accomodates a future realignment of 75.
    Look closely at the top left corner of the development, right by 75. You can see the old road that they did not render over, and how it cuts very close to the highway. The newly rendered road takes a broader turn and does not get nearly as close to the highway. The new 75 will be a gradual turn from east-west to north-south without the 375 interchange so it should mirror that gradual turn in the rendering.

This thread got boring quick

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    This thread got boring quick
    Let's start it back up.. what type of retail do we see fitting within this area and surviving in a seemingly barriered area of Midtown? You would think service retail, but is there enough of a need for that to fill the space? Will the greenspace be programmed in some way to attract larger crowds to support retail beyond neighborhood needs?

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...ite/872622002/

Approved.

Hard to believe that such a prime site would stay vacant for so long. And then there’s the opposition about how 25% affordable units are not enough. Really? That’s above the norm and besides, the city didn’t give the land away if I understand the article correctly.

I hope they can figure out retail. I was walking through Orleans Landing the other day, and the retail locations are pretty much all empty. It really makes the place feel desolate. I think there are going to be a lot more people in the Brush Park area to support things like a small grocery store, restaurants, liquor store, and hopefully some boutique shops.

Update?

Looks like we might finally get an update on this later this year:

"Three years ago, Bedrock received approval from HUD to acquire the site of the former Brewster-Douglass Housing Projects on the east side of Detroit. How is the project progressing?

Bonner: Bedrock remains committed and passionate about the Frederick Douglass project in Detroit’s historic Brush Park neighborhood. We are actively evaluating development plans for the project and expect to have updated plans and associated details later this year."

https://www.multihousingnews.com/bed...oing-recovery/

We're reaching the end of City Modern construction. So this is the logical next step.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...ite/872622002/

Approved.

Hard to believe that such a prime site would stay vacant for so long. And then there’s the opposition about how 25% affordable units are not enough. Really? That’s above the norm and besides, the city didn’t give the land away if I understand the article correctly.
    Because 25% is not enough. Developers are quick to say units will be "affordable", when affordable is never clearly defined in this project nor the newly announced Fisher Body redevelopment. "Affordable" to developers is a term used to represent affordable to the housing prices in the area, referring to Midtown/Downtown while affordable to Detroiters refers to the overall city areas.

I was a witness to how the DHC forced residents out of the Brewster-Douglass towers in 2008-2009. I'm sure almost none of these former residents who were forced out of their homes will be able to "afford" 25% of these units.

Of course, Dan Gilbert and Team Rocket took over the Brewster-Douglass PJ area. I knew it's going to happen. So far, the Brewsters are long gone, and the Douglass PJ's will be under Gilbert's Team Rocket Security Force until the time is right put out the poor and low income folks and bring in the new.
    Last edited by Danny; March-08-22 at 07:19 AM.

Former home of the Supremes, how young they look.

Name:  super [[2).jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  123.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I hope they can figure out retail. I was walking through Orleans Landing the other day, and the retail locations are pretty much all empty. It really makes the place feel desolate.
    Yeah, at least Potemkin Village was movable :[[

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Yeah, at least Potemkin Village was movable :[[
    lmaoooo

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Of course, Dan Gilbert and Team Rocket took over the Brewster-Douglass PJ area. I knew it's going to happen. So far, the Douglass Towers are long gone, and the Brewster PJ's will be under Gilbert's Team Rocket Security Force until the time is right put out the poor and low income folks and bring in the new.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I hope they can figure out retail. I was walking through Orleans Landing the other day, and the retail locations are pretty much all empty. It really makes the place feel desolate. I think there are going to be a lot more people in the Brush Park area to support things like a small grocery store, restaurants, liquor store, and hopefully some boutique shops.
    You would think that the those storefronts in Orleans Landing would had been filled years ago. Would the rent be too high in those spaces? I could think of a few retail that would do good in that area. Bike Blaeds, and Boards would be one. A vitamin store, coffee shop such as Starbucks, and a farmers market.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast