Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Sergio Marchionne Fiat Chrysler Reviver Passes

This happened rather unexpectedly...

"Sergio Marchionne, the man in black and self-proclaimed fixer who plucked Chrysler from the ashes of bankruptcy in 2009 and hitched it to Fiat to create a money-making global automaker, has died, according to a statement from Fiat Chrysler Chairman John Elkann. He was 66.

"Unfortunately, what we feared has come to pass. Sergio Marchionne, man and friend, is gone," Elkann, of the controlling Agnelli family, said in the statement.

"I believe that the best way to honor his memory is to build on the legacy he left us, continuing to develop the human values of responsibility and openness of which he was the most ardent champion."

"Marchionne became gravely ill after what the company has called shoulder surgery, forcing him to be replaced as CEO of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on Saturday. The company appointed Mike Manley, 54, head of the automaker's Jeep and Ram brands, as Marchionne's successor."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rysler-dies-at

I alway feel sorry for guys who get cheated out of retirement but he had a great run.

He had an unusual academic background. After attending the very exclusive St. Michael's College in Toronto for high school, followed by University of Toronto for philosophy, he chose to attend University of Windsor for his commerce degree. Not exactly a highly ranked Ontario school. He then returns to Toronto for a law degree at York. Then back to Windsor for his Masters in Business. Although he worked in finance for many years prior to Fiat, he must have developed an interest and passion for the auto industry while living in the Detroit/Windsor area.
    He did an incredible job at Fiat, Chrysler and Ferrari.

Unfortunate, they say he died from complications of shoulder surgery. I'm not a doctor by any stretch, but you wouldn't think that would cause death, unless he got a infection I guess. He was very influential in the auto industry and got Chrysler back in the black, he will be missed. R.I.P.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-25-18 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Unfortunate, they say he died from complications of shoulder surgery. I'm not a doctor by any stretch, but you wouldn't think that would cause death, unless he got a infection I guess. He was very influential in the auto industry and got Chrysler back in the black, he will be missed. R.I.P.
    According to accounts from Italy, the surgery was for a form of connective tissue and bone cancer. The problems came from a clot or stroke, which caused more or less instant brain death.

He did 2 amazing things. First, he saved Chrysler, then when it was back on it's feet, used the assets of Chrysler to save Fiat.

This guy was always such a thoughtful leader and always seemed ready to smile -- I feel like his passing deserves more recognition that its received.

Yeah this sucks whenever I here someone dying just before retiring.. Sergio was a class act guy from what I heard..

Baruch dayan ha'emet.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he move his office into the Design Center, so he could be closer to what was happening? Seemed like a nice guy. Peace, sir.