Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default old articles on Chene St area

I was looking around the site, and found some wonderful conversations from last year. [[http://www.lib.wayne.edu/services/in...on/searchpath/).

Does anyone have any more input on Sweetheart Bakery, New Era Chips, Chene Trombly Bowling, Chene Ferry Market??? I can't join the discussion since it's closed now....

Someone wanted to know the name of the 'candy store' near St Stannies, on Dubois. I do remember Walter's, but there was also a place called "Fritz's". Owned by a little old man and lady. Very dark inside. All the penny candy behind the glass counters. It was right on Dubois just off the corner of Medbury - across from Stannies.

Someone also discussed the soda shop "Werner's" on Chene St. I loved that place! Hard to decide between Werner's and JoeGees [[sp?). Some one else remembered the "frozen lindy's". The photo store on Chene where many of us had our communion pics taken. Torinos Bakery on Dubois and Hendrie. Palmer Bakery. Questions about neighbors raising pigeons... yes! I remember that.

The Home vs Iris movies. I still see a few links I can go to. But if anyone wants to talk more about the above places... esp in the 50's-60's, please write! Any photos?? Has anyone ever gone to the Detroit Public Library to look up photos or documents about the old neighborhood? What about Census Records?? Thanks everyone.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FerryGirl View Post
    I was looking around the site, and found some wonderful conversations from last year. [[http://www.lib.wayne.edu/services/in...on/searchpath/).

Does anyone have any more input on Sweetheart Bakery, New Era Chips, Chene Trombly Bowling, Chene Ferry Market??? I can't join the discussion since it's closed now....

Someone wanted to know the name of the 'candy store' near St Stannies, on Dubois. I do remember Walter's, but there was also a place called "Fritz's". Owned by a little old man and lady. Very dark inside. All the penny candy behind the glass counters. It was right on Dubois just off the corner of Medbury - across from Stannies.

Someone also discussed the soda shop "Werner's" on Chene St. I loved that place! Hard to decide between Werner's and JoeGees [[sp?). Some one else remembered the "frozen lindy's". The photo store on Chene where many of us had our communion pics taken. Torinos Bakery on Dubois and Hendrie. Palmer Bakery. Questions about neighbors raising pigeons... yes! I remember that.

The Home vs Iris movies. I still see a few links I can go to. But if anyone wants to talk more about the above places... esp in the 50's-60's, please write! Any photos?? Has anyone ever gone to the Detroit Public Library to look up photos or documents about the old neighborhood? What about Census Records?? Thanks everyone.
    What is that link for? I can't seem to see any connection to the subject.

I can relate to all of the above except for the movie theatres. I must have been a few years later than you in this respect, perhaps. Lindys in the dixie cups at that store you mention, only was in it a few times. Torino's had great breadsticks.

What year did you graduate from St. Stanislaus?

You can research by looking at old phone directories, and newspaper clips on microfilm...as late as the mid seventies there were many Polish names listed on and around Chene St..

I still really miss the Round Bar on Chene. It had a mezzanine overlooking the bar. It used to have a boxing ring down there, and spectators sat in the mezzanine to watch the matches. In the 70s-80s, the neighborhood was emptying out but the Round Bar still held on as a restaurant and bar. Diners sat in the mezzanine and enjoyed the best Polish lunches in town. A bowl of soup and their bread would hold you til dinnertime. Or get the MEAT pierogies! They were awesome, and still made by the mother of the family that owned the place.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I still really miss the Round Bar on Chene. It had a mezzanine overlooking the bar. It used to have a boxing ring down there, and spectators sat in the mezzanine to watch the matches. In the 70s-80s, the neighborhood was emptying out but the Round Bar still held on as a restaurant and bar. Diners sat in the mezzanine and enjoyed the best Polish lunches in town. A bowl of soup and their bread would hold you til dinnertime. Or get the MEAT pierogies! They were awesome, and still made by the mother of the family that owned the place.
    Sheesh. I never knew the place when it had boxing in it. Nor ate the meat pierogis from there. But I still enjoyed the fish dinners they had in the restaurant. Their dinners with the mashed potatoes and peas... yum. Zosia moved to Hamtramck, not sure they still serve the same recipe or not.

Otherwise, Martin's Bar next to Chene Ferry market was the place for meat pierogi's in my opinion. They were fried in with what looked like little pieces of pork fat. Also great fish and chips.

Nobody serves meat pierogis anymore Well, I have found a couple places lately, Polonia in Wyandotte but the recipe isn't as good IMHO, and Rene's up on 29 off Lake St. Clare in Ira. He has the most Chene St. tasting recipe. He sells them to take home, too. I have been to Zosia's but they weren't doing meat pierogies at the time.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Nobody serves meat pierogis anymore Well, I have found a couple places lately, Polonia in Wyandotte but the recipe isn't as good IMHO, and Rene's up on 29 off Lake St. Clare in Ira. He has the most Chene St. tasting recipe. He sells them to take home, too. I have been to Zosia's but they weren't doing meat pierogies at the time.
    Actually, Under The Eagle had some pretty good meat pierogis, come to think of it. And the Polish Market sells them as well, in their refrigerated section. Now those are probably just as good as the ones I remember. Fried with real butter. Maybe some onion.

Edit: Some on the web suggest the little cubes of salted pork rinds [[crackling) fried with it, what I mentioned from Martin's. That makes all the difference in the world.
    Last edited by Vox; August-28-09 at 07:38 PM. Reason: pork rinds!

I might be a bit off base here. I didn't live in the area, but I remember a bar that my dad would sometimes take me to that had incredible corned beef sandwiches. I think it was called Milo's. Ring a bell with anyone?

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    I might be a bit off base here. I didn't live in the area, but I remember a bar that my dad would sometimes take me to that had incredible corned beef sandwiches. I think it was called Milo's. Ring a bell with anyone?
    Not that I recall, although it could have easily have been there. It seemed like thousands of bars at the time. New Elk, Martins, Tik Tok, Round Bar, on Chene, 10 spot? or something on St. Aubin, Club Stannies on Dubois, lots of little shot-beer joints the other side of the expressway. Fried kielbasa sandwiches were popular, with horseradish and black bread.

FerryGirl's original question got me thinking of something at the DPL main library that is actually searchable, which is the Polk directories. The ones from the 1950's would give more of the detail you are looking for, in regards to the names of businesses that most of us would recall from the childhood era. The census next available with usable info is the 1940, which won't be available for a few years yet. 1930 is available now.
    Last edited by Vox; August-28-09 at 08:39 PM.

Vox Guest

One of these days, Marian Krzyzowski will publish his history of Chene street. Hopefully it won't be too long. Purportedly he has over 400 photographs and oral histories of the place. Initially he spoke of it being at the Bentley Library. If you are in Ann Arbor and have an opportunity to stop in to the Bentley, maybe someone can enquire as to the wherabouts of this archive.

Some of the pictures are below:

Nowak hardware on Chene. It's original location.
    Attachment 2893

Attachment 2894
    Last edited by Vox; August-28-09 at 10:44 PM.

Incredible pics Vox, thanks for posting!

Great pics! I used to hang out at New Elks a bit in the 1990s.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    If you are still around, Tsomyak, I found Milo's.

Name:  grand_e_2507 Milo's.jpg
Views: 4970
Size:  18.3 KB

2507 E. Grand Boulevard.

I was looking at the receipts that were kept from when my mother and father were married [[Early 50's) and everything was purchased on Chene Street. Flowers, Wedding dress, Tuxedos, portraits, everything. That must have been quite the happening street back in the day.

Every once in a while when I go to EM I'll shoot down Chene Street and there always seem to be two or three more houses/buildings that have been set on fire.

How far north did Chene go before the Poletown plant came to be?

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I was looking at the receipts that were kept from when my mother and father were married [[Early 50's) and everything was purchased on Chene Street. Flowers, Wedding dress, Tuxedos, portraits, everything. That must have been quite the happening street back in the day.

Every once in a while when I go to EM I'll shoot down Chene Street and there always seem to be two or three more houses/buildings that have been set on fire.

How far north did Chene go before the Poletown plant came to be?
    What businessses were the reciepts from? Can you scan a few and post them?

The street ended at E. Grand Boulevard, around the middle of the Poletown plant today.

The map below [[where the St. Joseph text is) shows the northern portion of Chene, on a 45 degree angle to the other streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    What businessses were the reciepts from? Can you scan a few and post them?

The street ended at E. Grand Boulevard, around the middle of the Poletown plant today.

The map below [[where the St. Joseph text is) shows the northern portion of Chene, on a 45 degree angle to the other streets.

Unfortunately they're in my father's attic. Even if he lived close to me I would dread going up there with all the stuff he has up there.
    I do recall the name of one buisness, Rathnaw's formal attire for men on Chene at Forest.

I just looked at some earlier photos [[1920's) of my grandparents that were taken at Central Art Studio, 935 Chene Street.

Vox Guest

Unfortunately they're in my father's attic. Even if he lived close to me I would dread going up there with all the stuff he has up there.
    I do recall the name of one buisness, Rathnaw's formal attire for men on Chene at Forest.

I just looked at some earlier photos [[1920's) of my grandparents that were taken at Central Art Studio, 935 Chene Street.
    Ok, if you ever get the opportunity someday keep it in mind.

Here's a better link to the WSU online section, at least it puts you in the ballpark.

Anyone know what happened with this guys project? He mentions a book and website, but that was a few years back.

http://creativegene.blogspot.com/200...t-project.html

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    Here's a better link to the WSU online section, at least it puts you in the ballpark.
    What can be found there, wilderness?

The Sweetheart Bakery, that wouldn't happened to be the same Sweetheart Bakery now located on 7 Mile/Moross and Kelly, would it?

If so, when did they move off Chene to their present location, or were they forced off because of the Poletown Plant?
    Last edited by 313WX; April-18-11 at 09:48 PM.

What can be found there, wilderness?
    I looked sparingly, however it appears quite a bounty. It appears one could spend days there reviewing the treasure. I wasn't previously aware that WSU Library offered such depth in their online collections.

They've approximately 400 Detroit News movie clips from the 1920's. I looked at a few.

Anyone know what happened with this guys project? He mentions a book and website, but that was a few years back.

http://creativegene.blogspot.com/200...t-project.html
    UofM and their research department assists with a lot of these types of local projects, in fact, it's used as part of an ongoing learning process for the students.
    They "panting" for projects to become involved in that will benefit both the local project and their students class work.

I'm aware of one metro-Detroit local museum where three students arrived at two different times and the team prepared a 28-page report, advising the museum on steps to preserve their artifacts, as well as guidelines for documentation of the museum's projects.
    ALL FOR FREE.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    I looked sparingly, however it appears quite a bounty. It appears one could spend days there reviewing the treasure. I wasn't previously aware that WSU Library offered such depth in their online collections.

They've approximately 400 Detroit News movie clips from the 1920's. I looked at a few.
    I've seen the DN clips elsewhere. I clicked around and found that most site links require a WSU access code. Would like to see, but I'm not allowed.

I've seen the DN clips elsewhere. I clicked around and found that most site links require a WSU access code. Would like to see, but I'm not allowed.
    Vox,
    Try the left side menu.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast