Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default N.A.I.A.S. is moving to its date to June of 2020.

It's official The North American International Auto Show is moving to its date from January to June in the year 2020. Not only its going to be inside Cobo Hall about also outside in Downtown Detroit [[also known as Gilbert Town Detroit). This is so exciting for people from all over the world.

https://naias.com/press/news/transfo...nal-auto-show/

YAY DETROIT

Detroit Grand Prix
    NAIAS
    Gilbert backed PGA event

June 2020 is going to be quite a month of events.

There are advantages but this all but ends K12 student participation as most schools wrap up mid-June. Traditionally, many K8, K12 schools across the state participate in what is known as the NAIAS Educators Day.

This day included associated pre-events, including competitions such as the NAIAS Poster design for the upcoming year in which many High School and Career Tech schools compete.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-23-18 at 11:43 AM.

Overall I love the idea of a complete re-imagining and reboot of the Detroit Auto Show, but a couple concerns:

1. What will happen to Motor City Pride? I've heard talk of moving it to Belle Isle, but if the Grand Prix continues on the Isle, wouldn't that make a move there difficult? I would much rather see Motor City Pride remain in a more dense, easily reachable setting. My vote would be to move it to New Center with the same kind of footprint Tastefest used to have.

2. The Freep article says load in time will be severely shortened. But will it affect Movement Festival at all? I would certainly hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Overall I love the idea of a complete re-imagining and reboot of the Detroit Auto Show, but a couple concerns:

1. What will happen to Motor City Pride? I've heard talk of moving it to Belle Isle, but if the Grand Prix continues on the Isle, wouldn't that make a move there difficult? I would much rather see Motor City Pride remain in a more dense, easily reachable setting. My vote would be to move it to New Center with the same kind of footprint Tastefest used to have.
    I think it would be cool to see Pride take over Cass Park. It is still close to transit connections of Woodward and downtown and many of the Cass Corridor businesses that support LGBT+ causes.

I have a feeling part of the show will be in the new Hudson building. Just a hunch based on early renderings.

I'm just glad most of my life there were exciting new car models every year. Now it's mostly just boring suvs/crossovers, especially from the Big 3. I can't think of a reason to go to an auto show in the near future but hopefully that changes.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm just glad most of my life there were exciting new car models every year. Now it's mostly just boring suvs/crossovers, especially from the Big 3. I can't think of a reason to go to an auto show in the near future but hopefully that changes.
    I’m with you on that although I am deeply involved in showcaseing new technology to customers. The current timing has ruined my Xmas vacation for years so I welcome the new schedule.

Temporary Grand River Avenue Dragway for North American International Auto Show! Anyone want to see the latest and greatest automobiles from around the world do quarter mile sprints in Downtown Detroit? This stretch of Grand River Avenue is wide enough [[needs a repave of course), close to the auto show, and there is room to put bleachers up. We would need some concrete barriers, fencing, and a staging area but this seems like it would be unbelievably awesome.
    Name:  Dragstrip.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  96.9 KB
    Last edited by schulzte; July-23-18 at 07:38 PM.

Wow, there seems to be a lot of positives to the changes. I'd loves to see the auto show take over downtown [[I may not agree when I'm trying to get home from work, but that's a problem for the future-me).

I think the move to the summer is great. No more trudging downtown in sub zero weather, and 10 inches of snow. Wonder why this wasn't thought of earlier?

It will be interesting how it affects the selling "quarters" for the auto industry, and the release dates of a potential new vehicle. The prototype guys and the marketing guys will have to "shift" timing to make everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    There are advantages but this all but ends K12 student participation as most schools wrap up mid-June. Traditionally, many K8, K12 schools across the state participate in what is known as the NAIAS Educators Day.

This day included associated pre-events, including competitions such as the NAIAS Poster design for the upcoming year in which many High School and Career Tech schools compete.
    NAIAS still could have it's Educators Day. The students could just sign up for it near school year's end. The students could either meet up at their schools to be shuttled to the NAIAS or they could meet at Cobo. There could be more outdoor events that the students could participate in if not inside Cobo Hall itself the events could be held in the downtown area or near it

I would love to see a car festival held at Hart Plaza sponsored by the auto show that week that will be free to the public. This thing has the potential to be bigger than ever outdoing Auto Shows across the world. It will be awesome it the Auto Show and the Grand Prix happen the same weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I think the move to the summer is great. No more trudging downtown in sub zero weather, and 10 inches of snow. Wonder why this wasn't thought of earlier?

Nearly 100 years of tradition

This change has me scratching my head. Because I'm a car nut I'd love to see something like Goodwood here in Detroit. But that's not something that many people who attend the auto show as prospective purchasers may care to experience. And with the way the auto companies schedule the ordering and building of their products a June show comes at exactly the wrong time for showcasing their wares[[plus, the long lead press previews are held in June). Generally, current year vehicle orders shut off in May so that the end of year build out can be scheduled and then new model plant change over comes in July and August. The next year models then begin to get to dealers in September. So with this new show date it would be too late for someone to special order the current year vehicle of their choice [[forcing them to pick from dealer stock or wait for the next year's model at a higher price) and the next year's models aren't out yet. So what's to show? That's why the October date would have been better for a regular type of auto show.

If they're hoping to launch a vehicle in September, they'd better have an example model by June.