Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Are there Any Detroit bars with windows?

One thing I noticed over time is that bars and even restaurants in Detroit are shuttered from public view except for those that have a patio type situation going
    What gives? Any chance the concept of "drinking alcohol is a cardinal sin" peters out?

I also noticed superettes and all manner of business look shuttered from the sidewalk and street.

Windows are an easy way to break into a building. If you don't have windows or have very small windows, its harder to break in. In areas of the city with lower crime rates you will see more windows on restaurants and shops. Its like this in many parts of the US and isn't just a Detroit thing.

Yes. The only thing is one could say the same of residences and businesses alike. So, the conservative sin-addicted guardians of sobriety somehow have a stranglehold on matters of propriety. I get that the authorities won't let you suck on a beer on a park bench, but why can't one be seen having a drink from the window of a dining or drinking establishment?

Security for valuables on premises is a rather weak argument, no?
    Last edited by canuck; July-22-18 at 04:27 PM.

Keep in mind that many of those places like a certain atmosphere, aka 'dark', so it's easier to accomplish that without Sunlight.

come on down to Michigan Ave. in Corktown, there are windows everywhere.

Just jogged the brain of this ex-Detroiter who lives in Nevada.....bars here are open 24/7. Somewhat reduces the chance of a break-in, I would think.

It's not just Detroit,physiology,so you lose track of time,stop in for happy hour and cannot see it is getting dark to head home and stay for a few more,free peanuts,no windows and black ceilings.

Been like that for decades,it was dark in the bar was always a good excuse.

plus back in the day you did not want prying eyes to see what you were actually doing in there.

Unless on the corner, aren't most bars going to be long and narrow with no place for windows other than the front?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Unless on the corner, aren't most bars going to be long and narrow with no place for windows other than the front?
    Yes, probably in Tombstone Arizona, of old.

Depends on the desired atmosphere. Bar I worked at in Romeo started out with big picture window then when new owner bought it, he had the window covered over and had a mural painted on the inside. Later, another owner had the outside debricked, dumped the mural and, voila, let there be light. Again.

I can think of many Detroit bars with windows.

Hideout bar in Clawson has lots of windows as does Black Lotus and Detroit Burger Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I can think of many Detroit bars with windows.
    Me neither, most use a Mac OS.

Corktown and Greektown for bars with windows. Try the Detroiter Bar in Greektown or Mercury Bar in Corktown.