Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Whatever happened with White Boy Rick?

I remember Django [[RIP) was always a champion of Rick's cause.

It kinda seems Rick's father led him down the path of crime, with extra income as an informant at the same time.

What's the latest?

Hopefully still in prison where drug dealing gang bangers belong.

Rick is serving his last sentence for fraud charges in Florida... Release date of April 14, 2021...

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    Rick is serving his last sentence for fraud charges in Florida... Release date of April 14, 2021...
    Yeah, for assisting in running a stolen car ring, in Florida while behind bars. He'll get released sooner than that date, especially if his movie, which is due out sometime in September, does well. He has a lot of support to get out early.

Why do people care about this guy? Just because he's a white dude? He doesn't seem particularly deserving of sympathy.

I have no sympathy for this guy, don't care if a movie is made.
    He is not a great role model for Detroiters to look up to.

I thought he was in for life without parole?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I thought he was in for life without parole?
    He was arrested and charged when he was 17. US Supreme Court ruled a few years ago, life without parole for minors under 18 is unconstitutional. So Michigan was forced to parole him....

White Boy Rick as been the source of much discussion over the years. Here is a list of tagged White Boy Rick Threads.
    https://www.detroityes.com/mb/tags.p...=whiteboy+rick

Detroit needs to drop folks like White Boy Rick, Kwame, etc. like a sizzling hot potato - and look for some new folks to glorify, hype, and get behind !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Why do people care about this guy? Just because he's a white dude? He doesn't seem particularly deserving of sympathy.
    The guy may not deserve "sympathy" but he and every other citizen deserve some measure of justice. Many would argue that imposing a life sentence to a minor for distributing drugs does not serve justice. The dude served almost 30 years in prison. I think his "debt" to "society" has been paid.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Many would argue that imposing a life sentence to a minor for distributing drugs does not serve justice.
    A drug dealing gang banger getting shanked in his cell would have though.

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    He was arrested and charged when he was 17. US Supreme Court ruled a few years ago, life without parole for minors under 18 is unconstitutional. So Michigan was forced to parole him....
    Not quite true. Michigan was forced to consider parole, not forced to let him go.

I am no expert on the topic, nor am I here to defend White Boy Rick, but I get the impression that he was treated harshly by the Michigan legal system simply because he could easily 'name the names' of so many corrupt DPD officers... ?

So, was it easier for 'White Trash Rick' [[rather than a clean cut DPD officer with a wife and kids) to be prosecuted by a 'Pro Police' judge when you consider that the so-called 'separation of powers' doesn't even exist... or ever did exist?
    Last edited by night-timer; July-25-18 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    I remember Django [[RIP) was always a champion of Rick's cause.

It kinda seems Rick's father led him down the path of crime, with extra income as an informant at the same time.

What's the latest?
    Rick is in FL and officially has about 22 months left. We are hoping he can come home sooner. There are ongoing efforts to try to make that happen.

Please check out [[and like?) this page for accurate information on Rick Wershe and his case. Thank you! Free Rick! : https://www.facebook.com/FreeRickWersheJr/

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    I have no sympathy for this guy, don't care if a movie is made.
    He is not a great role model for Detroiters to look up to.
    Who says he's a role model? Most just think he got screwed over and want to see him released.