Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Belle Isle's water slide to be demolished. Splash Pads Coming.

Belle Isle's water slide that has been broken and non functioning for four years will be torn down starting July 30. In its place, but on the other side [west] of the bathhouse a "Splash pad" will be constructed. As best I can determine it is a series of shallow pools said to accommodate those who don't want to swim in the river.

Visually I think that will be a big improvement. I never liked the way the monster structure of the slide broke up the continuity of the beach.

Construction of the splash pools setting is unclear as the funding is still being arranged.

Read full Free Press details >>

Name:  splashPools.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  65.3 KB

Great news! I don't think the old waterslide would ever re-open, as for insurance these days you need a life guard at the top and at the bottom, and I don't think there was a spot for one on the old slide.

This is a great alternative. There's a nice splash pad in Mt. Elliot park that the kids love. Having one on Belle Isle will just be another thing to draw people in.

I'm glad the north and south parts of the beach will be reconnected. I've always found it to be bad planning that the slide breaks the beach into two separate beaches.

A splash pad will definitely draw more people to the park and will be a huge improvement over the decaying and overgrown slide. I'm looking forward to this project.
    Last edited by NSortzi; July-19-18 at 05:23 PM.

My daughter loves the splash pad at Mt. Elliott. I hope the scale of this one reflects the larger crowd Belle Isle attracts...but of course, money talks.

So basically the state doesn't want to spend money to fix/replace/maintain/staff the slide, so it's getting demolished. The Belle Isle Conservancy is trying to raise money for a slashpad, which will cost ten times their usual annual fundraising amount.

Splashpads are novel but imo the big slides are more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    So basically the state doesn't want to spend money to fix/replace/maintain/staff the slide, so it's getting demolished. The Belle Isle Conservancy is trying to raise money for a slashpad, which will cost ten times their usual annual fundraising amount.

Splashpads are novel but imo the big slides are more fun.
    Working splashpads are better than closed waterslides, but they are serious downgrade from working waterslides. I think this is unfortunate. Splashpads are a lot easier to find than waterslides, and the Belle Isle one was very reasonably priced. It doesn't make much difference to me personally anymore, but my daughter spent a number of pleasant afternoons on the waterslide. Me too, for that matter.

I think it would be cool to have a little gran prix go cart track there.

It is nice that they are providing options for all users though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Belle Isle's water slide that has been broken and non functioning for four years will be torn down starting July 30. In its place, but on the other side [west] of the bathhouse a "Splash pad" will be constructed. As best I can determine it is a series of shallow pools said to accommodate those who don't want to swim in the river.

Visually I think that will be a big improvement. I never liked the way the monster structure of the slide broke up the continuity of the beach.

Construction of the splash pools setting is unclear as the funding is still being arranged.

Read full Free Press details >>

Name:  splashPools.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  65.3 KB
    This should make a big splash.

All little kids love splash pads, including 3 of mine, and lots of kids can participate at once. 5 year olds don't want to go down big water slides.

I really think it depends on the 5 year old. Also, there were smaller slides as well.

Hopefully they do something about the awful bathrooms here as well. Last time I was there they were disgusting and in desperate need of maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Hopefully they do something about the awful bathrooms here as well. Last time I was there they were disgusting and in desperate need of maintenance.
    The bathhouse is always disgusting and it’s always hit or miss trying to find sinks and toilets that work. It would be nice to see them renovate it during the winter or something.