Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

It would seem that the grunt workers at Amazon are not exactly
    the ones buying from Whole Foods, Amazon Prime, etc., etc.
    -versus- the grunt UAW workers who actually buy the cars they make.

AMAZON is the best place to work - surpasses many others

https://work.qz.com/1236944/linkedin...pple-or-tesla/

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Wesley, Amazon is immune to serious competion because its retail business doesn't need to be profitable. Not even Walmart can compete with that business model, and your assumption that they are is incorrect. The growth of Walmart's online sales has been anemic at best. They account for less than 4% of total online sales [[Compared to Amazon that is approaching 50%).
    Not all of those sales are direct from Amazon. Amazon has 1.8 million "third party sellers" who use Amazon as a sales platform and/or a "Fulfillment" [[shipping) service.

Online marketplaces like Amazon and Etsy are the new "mom and pop" storefronts for small business owners.

^^ You can spin it however you want, but Jeffy B still gets a piece and he doesn't need any of mine. I'll be shopping local whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    AMAZON is the best place to work - surpasses many others

https://work.qz.com/1236944/linkedin...pple-or-tesla/
    That means nothing.

Each year... LinkedIn... crunches data from three areas; jobs applications, engagement [[interest in a company’s brands and their employees), and talent retention. Each year... LinkedIn... crunches data from three areas; jobs applications, engagement [[interest in a company’s brands and their employees), and talent retention.

1. Applications - of course, people are applying to one of the most valuable companies in the world that's constantly in the news.

2. Engagement - see number 1.

3. Talent retention - this is a worthwhile metric but without knowing how it's weighted or how Amazon compared to anyone else it says nothing.

Last edited by Shai_Hulud; July-27-18 at 09:35 PM.

It would seem that the grunt workers at Amazon are not exactly
    the ones buying from Whole Foods, Amazon Prime, etc., etc.
    -versus- the grunt UAW workers who actually buy the cars they make.
    I don't see why this matters. Are you saying one is better than the other?

^^^ The UAW go home broken, exhausted , crushed and still
    pay that car/truck note on a $30 - $40 thousand vehicle for 5 years.
    They make a life out of the overtime, and don't enjoy much of it.

At least at AMAZON the overtime rush is mainly November - December.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ You can spin it however you want, but Jeffy B still gets a piece and he doesn't need any of mine. I'll be shopping local whenever possible.
    It's not spin, it's fact, and how is that different from a small business owner having to pay rent on a retail location to whatever company owns the land/building? What, you think small business owners keep 100% of that dollar you give them? Ever think about the overhead costs of operating an actual physical storefront business: gas/electric/water/insurance/etc? I guarantee you that they are paying a far larger percentage of that dollar in overhead and rent than some Amazon seller is paying to Amazon. Gee, it's almost as if there's some financial incentive for business owners to ditch storefronts and move their retail operation online...

I kind of get the vibe that maybe you just don't like Jeff Bezos.

^^^ The UAW go home broken, exhausted , crushed and still
    pay that car/truck note on a $30 - $40 thousand vehicle for 5 years.
    They make a life out of the overtime, and don't enjoy much of it.
    Well according to your hypothetical, they seem to be enjoying driving around in a car that cost 30-40K. I'm pretty sure Ford and GM make vehicles that cost less than 30K new. Everything is life is a trade-off of time for money. The UAW guy driving that car decided that that vehicle was worth X number of hours of his life.

Let's not kid ourselves why so many of them kill themselves working overtime, it's to pay for that $40,000 truck... and the other $40,000 truck their wife drives...and that boat or pair of jet-skis they have in the driveway...it's all that "Keeping up with the Joneses" bullshit.
    Last edited by aj3647; July-30-18 at 01:38 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3