Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ford Field Retractable Roof

I couldnt believe this when I heard it on the radio, they said Gilbert was going to talk to the Fords about the feasibility of changing the roof at the stadium to accommodate MLS. I know it will never happen, and I hate soccer in any shape or form but, open air Lions games sound great to me. I’m all for it, make a great football stadium even better.

Ford Field is very underutilized, I don't get why MLS needs a dedicated stadium. Putting MLS and NFL in the stadium place seems very doable.

Pistons and Red Wings sharing the LCA makes a lot of sense. I feel like stadiums create "dead zones" on their dormant nights, and that's not good for trying to build density downtown.

I like football, but don't attend many games [[ridiculous pricing, drunk assholes, & television experience is better IMO). So my opinion may not be that of someone who has to sit through it at the stadium, but I always believed that it was a huge mistake to have a domed stadium once Ford Field was announced. Playing football outdoors just has a better feel and look to it. I've been to several UofM games and there is nothing better than being out in the open air watching. Granted, I've not been to a game in Nov/Dec when it's sleeting and 29 degrees out. So I can see a lot of blow back from that standpoint. But hell, if GB can do it and sell out every game, I'm assuming the Lions would sell out still as well. Hell, they didn't win a game for a year and still sold them all out.

Having said that, this ridiculous notion of ripping the roof off the stadium and installing a retractable roof may be the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. I'd love to see the cost/benefit analysis of this proposal in dollar terms. If MLS is hell bent on the Jail site for a soccer specific stadium, then forget it and move on. Let FCDC have the glory and continue to receive raucous support from it's fan base instead of the corporate MLS crowd invading. I'm not a soccer aficionado, but from what I've seen in terms of play from MLS to the FIFA cup or any of the Euro leagues, you aren't missing anything. The level of play is second rate. I'd save my money and go enjoy the experience of the FCDC game rather than sitting at an MLS event paying $12 for a beer. I'm sure there are a lot of soccer fans in the area who want to legitimize Detroit as a soccer city with a MLS team, but is it really adding something to the sports fabric here? There's already 4 pro sports here plus several major college sports competing for dollars. Is MLS really going to fill a void or just further spread out available discretionary funding and hurt the other sports? I think we can all see from the current state of sports in this city, things ain't exactly great right now. Do we really need to add another sports option? IMO, it/s a no.

Sounds expensive, but maybe not impossible.

If the building can support the additional weight of retractable roof, plus whatever shear, vibration, cantilever it brings with it.

I'm not a sports fan so I don't have a dog in the fight other than not wanting another huge hole downtown that's empty 75% of the time.

The reason Ford Field was built with a roof to begin with was because the city preferred it so the stadium was better utilized. It really hasn't worked out that way. Other than a couple of concerts a year there aren't many events held there. The Lions surveyed fans and found they were almost equally split in wanting a roof vs. open air.
    I thought MLS major concern was the artificial turf. Putting in a retractable roof isn't going to change that.

There are some college graduations held there such as WSU. Years back I went to a graduation of Davenport Students. Still it sits empty alot.

Roof or no, Ford Field is still way too big for MLS. MLS has concentrated on having its franchises acquire new 20 - 30,000 seat stadiums, most of which have been quite successful. Stadiums of that size are also more useful for concerts, etc. than 60,000 seat + behemoths like Ford Field. Especially since the music world has become more diffuse, with very few mega-acts left who can draw such enormous crowds. This is why the folks who want to bring big-time soccer [[well, big time for the U.S.) to Detroit coveted the jail site for a right-sized soccer-specific stadium.

Even the few MLS franchises that do play in big football stadia curtain or cordon off a sizable portion of the seating to tailor the stadium to their crowd and to enhance the effect of smaller soccer crowds, but this is at best a make-do solution. It doesn't seem to me that the 20,000 or so fans per game that an MLS franchise is likely to draw would be lucrative enough to convince Ford Field to go to the great expense of raising the roof.

A friend of mine with MLS and US Soccer connections mentioned to me the other day that if Detroit was to add a retractable roof to Ford Field that they would absolutely get the next bid. He also mentioned the cost estimate was $100 million but I am not sure how solid the numbers are. MLS has also been paying very close attention to DCFC, so don't be surprised if they get lumped in with things and the brand gets bumped up to the big time.

The Ford Field renderings showed the upper deck curtained off. Worth noting, Atlanta United just broke the MLS attendance record with 72,000+ this past weekend. Seattle often sells out the entire stadium as well, so it is possible to fill a football stadium. I'd rather see a game in a soccer specific stadium, but I also don't think we need yet another giant plot of land taken up by a stadium.

Also, if I own an NFL team [[and stadium), I might be looking for ways to diversify my sports portfolio, as the NFL might not be in the greatest shape 25 years from now. Renovating my stadium to accommodate a growing sport isn't the most ridiculous move an owner could make [[like Miggy's contract, or paying Blake Griffin $32 million a year for the next four years for example).

Finally, the DCFC angle is interesting. The Detroit News came out with an article on the team, showing their struggle to move to a better league. Without big-time investors, the team is pretty much doomed to playing in a clearly suboptimal league, on a suboptimal field with amateur players. DCFC is an awesome story, but how long can they continue growing, or even sustain momentum in these circumstances? As the dream of NASL has died and USL seems further away, some kind of MLS partnership might not be so ridiculous. Just don't tweet that idea or the diehard fans will come after you from behind a computer screen.

If they were to make it retractable, what exactly is the plan when it rains or snows? Part of the allure to MLS and its fans is playing in inclement weather and the MLS has a very long season. You can't just leave the roof open and let it rain on an indoor stadium with no drainage and if you're going to close the roof then what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    If they were to make it retractable, what exactly is the plan when it rains or snows? Part of the allure to MLS and its fans is playing in inclement weather and the MLS has a very long season. You can't just leave the roof open and let it rain on an indoor stadium with no drainage and if you're going to close the roof then what's the point?
    The entire stadium was designed to be indoor; they'd have to "waterproof" and "cold proof" everything; scoreboards, electric, concourses, lighting, suites, heating and cooling, etc.

If they change the roof to retractable at Ford Field where will the Lions hang all their championship banners?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The entire stadium was designed to be indoor; they'd have to "waterproof" and "cold proof" everything; scoreboards, electric, concourses, lighting, suites, heating and cooling, etc.
    Exactly what I'm saying and at the end of the day you're still playing on artificial turf.

Exactly what I'm saying and at the end of the day you're still playing on artificial turf.
    If MLS wants to come here and play in a slightly improved Ford Field, then let’s welcome them to Detroit.

If they however want the taxpayers to fund a multimillion dollar open and close roof, or another concrete shell that is used a couple dozen times a year.., well there is some swampland in Sacramento for sale.

Strictly speaking for Ford Field, a retractable roof would be amazing. Football should be played outdoors, but I understand why there are many indoor stadiums.

MLS won't come to Detroit just because of a retractable roof. They want more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    Sounds expensive, but maybe not impossible.

If the building can support the additional weight of retractable roof, plus whatever shear, vibration, cantilever it brings with it.

I'm not a sports fan so I don't have a dog in the fight other than not wanting another huge hole downtown that's empty 75% of the time.
    Billionaires sure know how to waste money. Ford Field should have been built with a retractable roof in the first place. It will probably cost damn near as much to add the roof, as to building a dedicated soccer stadium. What a joke !!

Default In 1957 Skyliner Retractable sales were a modest 20,766

It’s no big deal! Ford built its first retractable roof back in 1957. The hard top folded-up into the trunk. Stop and think how difficult that was with 1950’s technology. It was like putting a man on the moon. Get those old engineers out of retirement and put them to work on this project.Name:  1957-ford-skyliner-operation.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  62.5 KB

I hope this works and we get an MLS team. I'm not a soccer fan at all, but if we can bring more action downtown and use Ford Field more I'm all for it. If we have to build a separate stadium, then I don't want a team.

Quote Originally Posted by abetterdetroit View Post
    if they change the roof to retractable at ford field where will the lions hang all their championship banners?

+5......

Watching the Detroit Lions lose a game in freezing conditions in December due to a Ford Field retractable roof would be worse then watching them lose at the current Ford Field. I had season tickets the last 2 years the Lions played at Tiger Stadium before their move to Pontiac. It is no fun freezing and watching an inferior NFL team at the same time!

Hot take: Lions fans are too drunk to tell the difference anyway.

The reason Ford Field was built with a roof to begin with was because the city preferred it so the stadium was better utilized. It really hasn't worked out that way. Other than a couple of concerts a year there aren't many events held there.
    Not a lot of events, but more than just a couple of concerts a year...

The 2018 public events list [[may not be all, only what I could find):

5 major concerts, a job fair, Men's Health Expo, Friends & Family Community Day [[back to school), Detroit Economic Club meetings [[2), the Drum Corps International Tour, WCCC graduation, Cass Tech graduation, Taste of the Lions Charity Fundraiser, WSU graduation, First Championship [[STEM students, 2 days), MHSAA Wrestling Finals [[2 days), Monster Jam [[2 days), Bridal Expo, Detroit Catholic League and CYO Football Championships, and the MHSAA Football Championships [[8 games, 2 days)

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Not a lot of events, but more than just a couple of concerts a year...

The 2018 public events list [[may not be all, only what I could find):

5 major concerts, a job fair, Men's Health Expo, Friends & Family Community Day [[back to school), Detroit Economic Club meetings [[2), the Drum Corps International Tour, WCCC graduation, Cass Tech graduation, Taste of the Lions Charity Fundraiser, WSU graduation, First Championship [[STEM students, 2 days), MHSAA Wrestling Finals [[2 days), Monster Jam [[2 days), Bridal Expo, Detroit Catholic League and CYO Football Championships, and the MHSAA Football Championships [[8 games, 2 days)
    None of those events add a dime to the region. It isn't like Cass Tech isn't going to have a graduation ceremony or the state isn't going to have high school wrestling, if not for Ford Field.

If anything, we probably lose money on the deal. Why would Cass have a high school graduation in a gigantic domed stadium, like they're desperately trying to find uses for the venue? The costs must be astronomical compared to a "normal" HS graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    None of those events add a dime to the region. It isn't like Cass Tech isn't going to have a graduation ceremony or the state isn't going to have high school wrestling, if not for Ford Field.

If anything, we probably lose money on the deal. Why would Cass have a high school graduation in a gigantic domed stadium, like they're desperately trying to find uses for the venue? The costs must be astronomical compared to a "normal" HS graduation.
    No doubt, the people coming from Northern and Western Michigan for the MHSAA Football Championships sleep in their cars and eat sandwiches out of coolers. And surely no one comes from out of the area for a concert! They could simply listen to the radio and hear the same thing!

By the way, large schools often have their graduation ceremony off campus. CT has 570 seniors, so you're looking for a venue that could hold at least 2500 people.

No doubt, the people coming from Northern and Western Michigan for the MHSAA Football Championships sleep in their cars and eat sandwiches out of coolers. And surely no one comes from out of the area for a concert! They could simply listen to the radio and hear the same thing!
    You're seriously claiming that high school graduates will not have a graduation dinner unless the taxpayers build a giant dome for their graduation ceremony?

They will all go hungry if they graduate at a "normal" place like Chene Park or Meadowbrook? Bizarre.

By the way, large schools often have their graduation ceremony off campus. CT has 570 seniors, so you're looking for a venue that could hold at least 2500 people.
    Except there are countless venues that "hold at least 2500 people". Ford Field holds 70,000 people.
    Last edited by Bham1982; July-19-18 at 06:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast