Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

^^ Yes, but we're talking about today where drivers may be carrying hundreds of dollars in food which is not traceable and can easily be sold for cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ Yes, but we're talking about today where drivers may be carrying hundreds of dollars in food which is not traceable and can easily be sold for cash.
    It is a non-issue. Everyday UPS, FedEx, and USPS trucks roll around the city of Detroit filled with valuable merchandise, largely without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    This still says they do not:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201895360

I've read about a few limited trial areas, so they may in some regions. The $5 delivery fee is not related to EBT/SNAP. It applies to all Pantry orders.

This page say there is a discounted rate for Prime for SNAP/EBT or medicaid holders:

https://www.amazon.com/l/16256994011...RX&pf_rd_i=ebt

A EBT card is not a type of credit or debit card,different category.

This summer, Amazon will begin accepting food stamps to pay for online grocery orders as part of a pilot program along with six other companies.

Jan of 2017

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/01/17/amazon-accept-food-stamps-usda-snap/96661036/

Snap is 66 billion a year,You do not think Amazon can keep its sticky fingers from that pie?
    Last edited by Richard; July-15-18 at 02:56 PM.

EBT/SNAP is a debit card.

Like I said, they started a pilot program in some areas, but it is not nationwide yet.

In addition to the Meijers/Krogers/Walmart etc. home delivery of food
    there are several other options to many people.

~ FreshDirect
    ~ Local Harvest
    ~ ShopFoodEx
    ~ GoBio
    ~ SafeWay
    ~ InstaCart
    ~ Shipt
    ~ Peapod

Must be an an awful LOT of rich, busy folks in the USA who stay home

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post

~ Shipt

Don't forget that Meijer originally affiliated with Shipit when it began deliveries-to-stores a few years back. Now Meijer seems to be doing this on their own while Shipit now partners with Target.

Services like Shipt inflate the prices, charge a monthly fee, charge a delivery fee if you don't buy enough in the order, and you need to tip the driver.

Hell no.

I'll stick to riding my bike to Meijer and using a bike trailer to get the groceries back. I have a car, I just like the exercise of using a bike. You can save money by canceling your gym membership and using your bike more, and get your own darn groceries!

^^^ Hah, good idea but realistically I'm not about to peddle/ bike to purchase the level of groceries I need [[I'll save that exercise for the gym - recumbent on spinning cycling option).

But I hear you about the fees, et al. Not for me, but an option for someone not mobile, needing the deliveries. I still see there being a limit or no delivery for certain areas sadly.

Similar to how some pizza deliveries are limited.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-16-18 at 07:56 AM.

All power to them if that's they're choice and it employs drivers to deliver the groceries. I welcome the options!

In addition to the Meijers/Krogers/Walmart etc. home delivery of food there are several other options to many people.

....Must be an an awful LOT of rich, busy folks in the USA who stay home

~ FreshDirect
    ~ Local Harvest
    ~ ShopFoodEx
    ~ GoBio
    ~ SafeWay
    ~ InstaCart
    ~ Shipt
    ~ Peapod

It is not really a rich thing,more so how an individual values their time.

Your time and if you drive a distance for groceries,fuel,wear and tear on the car etc. If one really breaks it down,it costs you to go shopping anyway you look at it.

We used to have and it is still popular in Miami a veggie truck that came by Saturday mornings,in less then 5 minutes you had your weeks worth of fresh veggies for not much more then the gas it would have cost you to go to the farmers market.

The number crunchers have to figure it out how to make it feasible to the masses otherwise they just become a niche that does not pay to implement the program,they still have to pay somebody to fill the order run the web site etc.

For certain I'm thinking about my time and wear and tear on my car more so. I don't do grocery store deliveries from any one local.

But I do some ongoing purchases such as specialty lotions, hair products, vitamins, some clothing items, shoe inserts, certain teas, food stuffs such as seasonings etc, aroma therapy oils etc. almost all online.

My car is very old, I'm very busy and in the interest of consolidating energies I find it easier/ frugal to purchase some things exclusively online. Especially once settled into certain brands and repeat purchases.

On the other hand the experience of actual shopping remains, and there are some brick and morter stores I specifically shop at to keep them going. Even if/ when the cost is more. It's a balance.

I love having options!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-16-18 at 02:24 PM.

Competition is good for the marketplace - monopolies ruin it for customers

I started working in a grocery store at age 11 [[over 65 years ago) sorting bottles, bagging groceries etc. I worked during grade school and for several years thereafter. I could run the store after 3 years.

One of my jobs was to take orders over the phone, put all the items in a cart, box them, and go with our delivery driver in a Chevy panel truck to deliver the goods to the customer. There was no extra charge, but the store had a fairly affluent clientele and prices were higher than average in the area, especially for meat and produce.

What was interesting was that I lived in a town which was THE test market for all kinds of products to determine consumer acceptance. We sold Tide, Pop-Tarts, Yogurt [[I think Dannon but maybe another brand; nobody ever heard of yogurt until a popular health food author wrote about yogurt and wheat germ.) etc before they were distributed nationally.

Great training for later life.

And even more not rich, extremely busy folks working much longer hours and/or extra jobs, with both parents working and little or no time left to shop.

^^^ Bingo! I know I don't have time to drive to three different stores for a given item. Working multiple jobs eats away all that leisure time!

I haven't been in a grocery store in months, while I do not have it delivered I do use Kroger Clicklist and simply pull into a spot and they bring out my groceries

A friend of mine has her delivered, she started using it when she was going through Chemo and found it to be so easy to use that she kept on with it even after treatments stopped

It sure sounds like the Home Delivery concept for groceries/staples
    will continue to expand throughout SouthEast Michigan
    among millions of residents of various incomes, employment, housing.

Detroit is a grocery store desert even though there are grocery stores throughout the city. Many of these stores, as though they are clean in appearance, have outdated products on their shelves and their hot meals are not to be trusted. Poorer Detroiters without cars and carry WIC or EBT are the main customers to these stores. Walmart, Kroger, and Meijer will do good businesses delivering groceries to these communities. Also, those who are not lower income may take advantage of these services. However, I would say that this service will be met with opposition

Online grocery sales are predicted to capture 20% of total grocery retail by 2025 to reach $100 billion in consumer sales, according to study by the Food Marketing Institute conducted by Nielsen. While estimates of online grocery’s share of the total $641b U.S. grocery market vary, from 2% to 4.3% according FMI-Nielsen, it is the next major retail sector to be disrupted by ecommerce.

Not unexpectedly, Amazon is leading the charge. Today, Amazon’s share of the online grocery market stands at 18%, according to a new study One Click Retail, which compiles data for the world’s ecommerce marketplaces. With an estimated $2 billion in food and beverage sales, Amazon stands head and shoulders above its closest competitor, Walmart, with roughly half of Amazon’s market share.

While consumers have been slower to adopt online shopping in grocery due to entrenched shopping habits for this most frequently purchased category and preference to personally examine and pick fresh meat and produce, online purveyors have helped consumers learn to like online grocery shopping and delivery by leading with packaged foods.

Amazon’s most popular grocery category is beverages, followed by No. 2 coffee, No. 3 snack foods, No. 4 breakfast foods and No. 5 candy. Starting with these non-perishables consumers get the feel for online ordering and delivery and gain confidence to include dairy, meat, frozen foods and fruits and vegetables in their next order.

Birmingham Whole Foods is not all that high tech , yet

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/shop/BIR/closed

They want people to use InstaCart which is another twist on things
    https://shoppers.instacart.com/

Instacart is one of the bigger online grocery stores that
    allows you to order from shops in your neighborhood
    [[usually at the same prices, including Costco).
    You place an order online, then someone shops for those
    items and delivers it to you the same day—usually in two hours or less.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/ins...pper-for-a-day
    Last edited by O3H; July-20-18 at 08:43 AM.

Here's the thing. These folks are in a hurry. They want stuff NOW without having to go get it themselves. They place an order like that. Some site/shopper 'Noid goes to fill the order. They get to the store and find a few of the items out of stock or not available for some reason. They acquire and deliver the remaining items. Buyer gripes because those few missing items are the key ones and they can't do their high falutin' meal deal without them. Now they whole day is messed up and they go on some 'social' website to pout cuz now they have to try and place another order from somewhere else and hope it gets there in time.

Me? Since I'm doing my own shopping, I can simply go to another store and get what I want before I head home. No muss, no fuss.

They notify the "shopper" via immediate text/email to out-of-stocks,
    replacements, etc. and an immediate fix is put in place, in real time.
    People use smartphones for instantaneous communication nowadays.

Yeah, that's in a way how I am having Amazon purchases sent to Whole Foods. I order item, and depending on if it qualifies, I can have it sent to Whole Foods that has a secure locker set up. You get a code when item arrives [[via smart phone), go to the store, enter code and pick up item.

This works great for expensive things I don't want to chance being left at house/ front porch.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-20-18 at 01:36 PM.

Because not everyone has a front porch, or great neighbors.
    Lockers make a lot of sense, similar to a box at the Post Office.

^^^ Yeah I have maintained an off site mail box for many years, the Ammy option is but another. Somethings I have sent to my home. Small items... yeah some neighbors, or moreso, folks walking down the street are not so nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2