Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My book is available right now on Barnes and Noble.com with 2 day delivery. Available on other venues on October 22.
    I know two people who already got their books this week.
    So far, we have gotten great feedback. Great History and great photos not seen anywhere else.

Now Grand River and Grand River Ave. is close to be ghetto marts.

Free Press had front page story about Foreman Mills moving into old Wards Building [[Tower Center) soon. This will reinvigorate the area. My book talks about what the neighborhood was like. Hopefully, good times are ahead.
    There are 160 photos with lots of history and nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Now Grand River and Grand River Ave. is close to be ghetto marts.
    The ghetto marts closed. That "retail corridor" has been mostly empty for around 15 years now.

It lasted surprisingly long, though. There was a Montgomery Ward until maybe 1990 or so [[and I think a second department store) and even after they closed, they were replaced by independent retailers. Much of NW Detroit was solidly working-middle class even 20 years after white flight, but at some point black flight to the burbs emptied these areas of consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Free Press had front page story about Foreman Mills moving into old Wards Building [[Tower Center) soon. This will reinvigorate the area. My book talks about what the neighborhood was like. Hopefully, good times are ahead.
    There are 160 photos with lots of history and nostalgia.
    Here is the link to the article on Forman Mills moving into the Tower Center.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...it/1642555002/

Forman Mills will take 45,000 sq ft, and there may be other new tenants and improvements.

Hammoud said in a phone interview this week that in addition to Forman Mills, the mall has three other new incoming tenants and he is looking to do some exterior renovations.
    "We have quite a few ideas for the front facade," said Hammoud, who lives in Windsor. "I’m going to keep it with the same look, but just make it fresher, newer.”
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; October-20-18 at 07:20 PM.

Sounds like the comeback in underway. My book is now available in stores and online to everyone starting today October 22, Monday. See how things were and enjoy over 160 photos with lots of local history.

Went to my local Barnes & Noble this AM, and the books weren’t out. I will go back later in the week. Looking forward to reading it.

Book should be in stores on October 22. Let me know what you think when you get the book ok?
    It is also available on several online sites too.

The book is on back order from Amazon.com. It is also available at Costco and Dearborn Music. Great reviews so far.

Tuesday, November 7th,
    I will be giving a book presentation and having a book signing at Chaney Library 16101 Grand River [[between Greenfield and Southfield) from 6 pm to 7:30 pm.
    This will held in their meeting room and be very informal. Pages Bookstore will have books available for purchase at the library.

I received my copy about a week ago, and it is fantastic! I lived on Strathmoor between Eaton and Lyndon from July '71 to April '72, and attended Burns Elementary. I have many fond memories of Detroit from that period. Although I was born in LA and live there now, Detroit is never far from my thoughts. Thank you for creating such an amazing book.

Quote Originally Posted by byromania View Post
    I received my copy about a week ago, and it is fantastic! I lived on Strathmoor between Eaton and Lyndon from July '71 to April '72, and attended Burns Elementary. I have many fond memories of Detroit from that period. Although I was born in LA and live there now, Detroit is never far from my thoughts. Thank you for creating such an amazing book.
    Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate your support.

Thanks to all who showed up last night at Chaney Library 16101 Grand River for my talk and book signing. The Livonia Observer photographer and writer covered the event and there should be a story in the paper on Thursday.Name:  Lietz, wife, Dave Otzman.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  45.1 KB

The was a nice story in the Detroit News/Free Press on Page 4 today about my book and the Grand River and Greenfield neighborhood I grew up in.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Thanks to all who showed up last night at Chaney Library 16101 Grand River for my talk and book signing. The Livonia Observer photographer and writer covered the event and there should be a story in the paper on Thursday.Name:  Lietz, wife, Dave Otzman.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  45.1 KB

Made the front page of the Plymouth Observer yesterday.
    Book signing on Wed 12/19 from 5 pm to 7 pm at Monaghan's Knights of Columbus on Farmington Road between 7 and 8 Mile Rd.
    This a great gift for an old neighbor for Christmas.

Unfortunately the Greenfield & Grand River area is not as safe as it was in the 1950s & 60s. According to todays Detroit News
    Detroit — A 40-year-old man was killed after someone broke into his home early Monday on Detroit's west side, police said. The home invasion homicide took place about 3:30 a.m. on the 14200 block of Prevost, which is north of Schoolcraft and west of Greenfield. Police say the victim heard a noise in the home's lower level and went down to investigate.There he found an armed intruder, who shot him before fleeing. No description of the suspect was immediately available. Medics pronounced the victim dead at the scene.

That is terrible news and an outrage. Still, things are looking up and that was an exception to the rule around there now.

Do you know if the book is available at DeVries in Eastern Market?

The book is back ordered by everyone. Arcadia Publishing will have a second printing on Jan. 3. Pages Bookstore had some but they might have sold out too. Have patience. I appreciate your support.

All 1200 books have sold out. There should be more available in a week or two. Thanks to all who have purchased the book. We've had great reviews.

We have sold 1548 copies of my book. There are plenty of books now available with second printing. Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com are main sources of the book. It has been well received with word of mouth being the best promotion so far. Name:  Book of Grand River.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  154.3 KB

If you'd like to get a signed copy of my book and live in the area, just message me. I live in the Northville area. Plenty of my books are now available. Name:  Joe at Monaghans 12-18.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  130.5 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2