Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Grand River and Greenfield Neighborhood book available

My book on Detroit's Grand River and Greenfield Neighborhood can now be pre-ordered from Barnes and Noble and you'll save $5 on the purchase.

It will cut down on my royalties but I'm hoping to stir up some buzz for the book too.

Lots of color photos from 50's, 60's and 70's of the area are included. Most of the schools, churches and many buildings long gone are here in this book.

A must for anyone who ever lived or visited the neighborhood. Author Joseph McCauley
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I grew up on the lower eastside and didn't grow up knowing about the neighborhood your book is about. However, looking at your book cover, it appears there were no African American people living there.

There were a few and I have several photos of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    I grew up on the lower eastside and didn't grow up knowing about the neighborhood your book is about. However, looking at your book cover, it appears there were no African American people living there.
    In the 50s and 60, not many. Some, but they tended to shop in other areas. I can't say as I remember many in the stores in that area. Then again, I was there to shop, not do a census, so I probably never took notice one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    In the 50s and 60, not many. Some, but they tended to shop in other areas. I can't say as I remember many in the stores in that area. Then again, I was there to shop, not do a census, so I probably never took notice one way or the other.
    Growing up in Detroit in the 50's my parents taught me to always be aware of my surroundings especially in stores and other public places.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; July-11-18 at 07:57 PM.

Looking forward to the book, Daddeeo. Definitely my old stomping ground!

Arcadia Publishing made me take a historical approach but I have plenty of nostalgia in the book too. I have an interesting chapter on our Favorite Sons and Daughters from the area too.

I will definitely buy me a copy. I hate they keep slowly demolishing the storefronts along Grand River in the vicinity of Greenfield and I HATE the 2 stripmalls that were built by Herb Strather, which eliminated many storefronts west of Greenfield

Any vintage photos from the GR & Meyers area?

There is a classic photo of the Butzel Pool. Also two pics from Edgar Guest School.

One building's store front caught my eye in '69. Marlowe Cleaners, south side of Grand River at Marlowe. Black front panels, stainless [[?) lettering on the front, moderne [[40's) style. Made an impression on me at 17.

Every time I see a mention of Michigan's poet laureate, I think of the couplet by Dorothy Parker:

I'd rather fail my Wasserman test
    Than read a poem by Edgar Guest.

Sorry.

I remember Federals Dept. Store, Montgomery Wards, Hughes, Hatcher, Suffrin, etc. Grand River & Greenfield was a very busy shopping area before Northland Mall was opened at Greenfield & 8 Mile Rd.

All those buildings [[and more) are shown and discussed in the book.

I've already pre-ordered mine, and I can't wait to read it!

Thanks Byromania!
    Proofs have been corrected. Just waiting to get with marketing people in a month or two.
    Lots of families mentioned like Garis, Webers, Marts, Antons, Allens, Sloans, Licata, Hobans, Stolls, along with Teamsters, Ilitch family, IHM nuns, Facebook friends and plenty of libraries plus copyrights obtained make this a pretty thorough look at the neighborhood.Name:  Garis party.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  88.8 KB

Thanks.
    Many families have been mentioned like Haas, Allens, Licata, Sloans, Webers, etc. plus Ilitch Organization, Teamsters, IHM nuns and lots of libraries and other resources pitched in the make this a thorough examination of the area.

There are 161 photos in this book. Mike Ilitch is pictured with his Cooley High School Baseball team in one of many photos in the favorite Sons and Daughters chapter.
    The book is on the Barnes and Noble and Amazon web sites.

Just 54 days until the book Detroit's Grand River and Greenfield Neighborhood comes out. Arcadia Publishing is releasing it.Name:  Barnes and Noble .jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  58.8 KB

Love the cover! Looks like all the kids that lived on my street. Looking forward to reading it!

Lots of photos [[most in color) and plenty of stories from Dooleys to all the schools and churches in the 48227 area. SMR, Cooley plus many famous sons and daughters are highlighted. Businesses and buildings are also on display.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Just 54 days until the book Detroit's Grand River and Greenfield Neighborhood comes out. Arcadia Publishing is releasing it.Name:  Barnes and Noble .jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  58.8 KB
    Not finding the pre-order discount-- is that over now?

It must have ended at the end of August. You snooze, you loose. Still a great buy with so many photos [[many in color) inside.

There is a photo of Mike Ilitch in his Cooley High School baseball uniform in the book.

Lots of history and most schools plus churches from the neighborhood are pictured in this book. A real nostalgic trip for folks who fondly remember where they grew up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast