Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Is jjaba still around?

Good question. Strikes me that he was in Portland, Org......

He hasn't posted in several years now. Last I heard he was, indeed, moving to Portland. I do hope he's well. Meanwhile, I'm planning a trip from my adopted home in Las Vegas [[been here since 1984) back to Detroit; first such trip in 5 years. Looking forward to seeing the changes. Dates are September 11 - 25, but a week of that in the middle will be up to Traverse City for friends and relatives there.

Ray, I hope you will keep us posted as to your schedule. I would be honored to shake your hand and buy you a Vernors.

The forum has not had a meet-up in a few years and i am sure many of us would love to get together; combining your homecoming would be a perfect end-of-summer excuse to match faces with names.

I understand your time will be short, and that you might balk at the notion of being the center of attention, but relax and go with the flow.

Just don’t drive this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    He hasn't posted in several years now. Last I heard he was, indeed, moving to Portland. I do hope he's well. Meanwhile, I'm planning a trip from my adopted home in Las Vegas [[been here since 1984) back to Detroit; first such trip in 5 years. Looking forward to seeing the changes. Dates are September 11 - 25, but a week of that in the middle will be up to Traverse City for friends and relatives there.
    Keep us posted as to your thoughts on the downtown transformation. Safe travels.

Lurked for early years at the urging of my brother CaseyC, joined around '03. Drifted away when Kilpatrick trolls joined up but continued to occasionally lurk or when I wanted to get the skinny on new/old development or scanning for interesting historical threads, which I still do.

I remember all the olde posters and controversial threads. Earned my stripes spatting with Rasputin and getting called out as racist. Tried to inject occasional humor. Stopped posting due to time loss and just not having enough of anything to add, not being a daily resident.

I started reading circa 2003. Found you folks while musing on the possibility of finding that Rina's Pizza might have opened again. Sigh. Looks like I actually joined in 2007, but I was reading daily by then. Glad to see Ray checking in and to know that the county has finally recovered from the Livonia skirmishes.

Jjaba is indeed live and kicking on the far, far westside, Portland OR. He sends his love.

I joined originally in 05 or 06 when I was just a teenager. Would have been 15 or 16 back then and lived in Traverse City.

Can't tell you how many times I clicked through the "Fabulous Ruins of Detroit" pages and wished I lived closer to explore these places. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your perspective by the time I finished at CMU and moved to the city most of the ruins I most wanted to visit were either secured or being restored.

Lowell.....

That is GREAT news about Jjaba. I don't know if there's a "PortlandYes" site that he would post to......There's not one for Seattle I can find, and definately not one for the Central Washington town I live in.......but just knowing he's alive and kicking makes my life a little brighter.

Signed up in 12/06. Given my post count after nearly 12 years [[less than 10 at the old site), I am probably the biggest lurker [[or, more accurately, free-rider).

I learned quickly back then that everything can get political; I posted about finding a replacement loaf of sourdough rye bread after Burghardt's Bakery went out of business after 130+ years and had to endure a malformed discussion about agricultural policies.

But I still enjoy some of the old-timers' discussions about Detroit history. And I used to love those "where was this picture taken?" posts. Mind boggling how good some were at tracking down locations and years from a simple photograph.

Thanks to all that have contributed and allowed me to listen and learn about this great city.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6