Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Been mostly lurking here since the Hudson's implosion. Living on the left coast it keeps in touch with my roots and what to see when I'm back to visit. You can take the boy out of Detroit, but you can't the Detroit out of the boy.

Hi all, haven't posted in a while. I believe I joined in early 2008; the Kwame scandal led me here.

2009 officially, but I was around in the old system for a few more years. I am grateful to DY for first connecting me with GSCC and historic Fort Wayne.

Been here since high school, so 98/99? I remember when the site looked a lot different than this, charcoal and yellow font if memory serves me?

Also seemed to be much more active. Gilbert may have softened the underdog fight or chip on shoulders, as at that time, not many people in the area went to Detroit outside of a baseball game.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehamm45 View Post
    Been here since high school, so 98/99? I remember when the site looked a lot different than this, charcoal and yellow font if memory serves me?

Also seemed to be much more active. Gilbert may have softened the underdog fight or chip on shoulders, as at that time, not many people in the area went to Detroit outside of a baseball game.
    I think as we see "Skipper's Rule" continue to become less of a rule, and as more and more people think of Detroit as there own [[as you mentioned), we are seeing that chip recede a bit. It is crazy to me to think that all of this time, we have been rooting so hard for the comeback, and now that it is occurring, it has lost some of its excitement or beauty. There was always something to debate before.. now we simply debate about building materials and sometimes more important things like historic preservation.. but the development news, that seems to have taken a back burner to the other discussion when it used to spark so much when a new renovation was announced. I guess this all makes sense given that so many of the major abandoned large structures have been renovated or are being renovated now. It is a very different downtown throughout.

Looking back at atdetroit.net, I joined in July 2006. I had been a lurker for quite some time before, attracted by the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit pages. That August, my then girlfriend [[now wife of almost 9 years) and I attended a wedding in Ann Arbor. The next day, Kathleen gave us a tour of the city which only made my interest in Detroit explode. I visited again in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Since then, our three children have prevented additional visits, but I still lurk on the forum periodically and am still fascinated by Detroit! As the kids get older, I look forward to visiting again.

It is good to see so many people still around, even if as lurkers.

Here since 2005. Largely inactive now.

56packman.....

I wonder if it's because DYES has changed in a way. I find it less historical than it used to be,and more politically "active", but in a nicer tone than in years past. As rbdetsport said, a little of the "Chip on one's shoulder" feel is beginning to wear off.

Sometime just before the changeover, but I cannot remember the date. On the other hand the creator of one thread that is not politically "active" but just passed 780,000 views.

Oct 2003 for me. I was a bit of a troll / dumbass back in the day. Lowell accepted my request to come back to post condolences on Gannon's passing. Since then I've just lurked, and I like it that way.

I’ve been around since the early 2000s when I was a teenager or a “young” Detroiter.

I have been mostly a lurker, rarely a poster since the very early days! My only thread that ever got much traction was the discussion on eliminating all the one-way streets. I still check in daily and would love if more photo updates could be had as I live out of state. Still a great forum!

Lurker since the early 2000's think I finally got the nerve to post something around 2004-5. Used to be more active when this was the best place to get excited about development news, now back to lurking for the mot-part. Nice to see a bunch of the old names in this thread.

Lots of familiar names! While I can't recall my first post, I first found Detroityes in 2000. Also still friends with many, but mostly via social media these days.

The site has seemed to evolved from what it was, but so has the city. Fabulous Ruins? Now that there are plans for the train station, the number of significant ruins left has dwindled to very few.

While messaging ErikD recently, I had to agree with his statement, that I don't think any of us expected the growth we are seeing today. Construction of a new, tallest building? The Pistons playing in Detroit? Not 1, but likely 2, new bridges to Canada? Soon to be 3 Meijer stores?

I don't think any of those were on our radar nearly 2 decades ago. It goes without saying though, there is a large chunk of many of us that misses that "Old Detroit." I often say, 60-40. 60% of me is glad to see Detroit thriving, but 40% misses the ghost town/village feel of the old.

15. Default

Searching in the Wayback Machine, this appears to be the earliest capture of the forum. It is from summer 2000 when the site was still on bhere.com and about a year after the first discussions of 1999. It used the old, and always-crashing Microsoft Front Page forum software.

July 2006.
    Last edited by Trumpeteer; July-27-18 at 11:42 AM.

Active poster pre 2007, now check in when time permits. Thrilled with all of the positive activity in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    I don't think any of those were on our radar nearly 2 decades ago. It goes without saying though, there is a large chunk of many of us that misses that "Old Detroit." I often say, 60-40. 60% of me is glad to see Detroit thriving, but 40% misses the ghost town/village feel of the old.
    I miss the time of thriving grocery stores every couple of miles [[three at Grandland for example), one at Greenfield & Puritan and another couple at Greenfield and 7 Mile, plus the drugstores like Merril's and DeVics, and of course the department and hardware stores along Grand River, lumberyards within sight of each other, scout cars cruising the neighborhoods because they had the spare time, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Searching in the Wayback Machine, this appears to be the earliest capture of the forum. It is from summer 2000 when the site was still on bhere.com and about a year after the first discussions of 1999. It used the old, and always-crashing Microsoft Front Page forum software.

That is the garbage of web design lol

March 2009

More of a lurker than a poster, I guess I've been on since the early 2000's. I recall seeing the old Motown building being torn down along with the Madison Lenox debacle and the old Aquarium on Belle Isle closing down.

It's amazing what tectonic changes have taken place since then. If things changed a little earlier, we could have seen a restored Statler Hotel. A little later, perhaps losing the Book Cadillac , Fort Shelby Hotel, or the MCS.

Looking forward to the amazing progress throughout Metro Detroit, and throw my two cents in once in a while...

2008 for me... We started the Garwood Mansion thread... Whaler

Around 2004-5, and a delayed rejoin when DYES went to the new site. Long stretches of dormancy with minor spikes of inactivity.

nice to see many old and familiar names here. Jabba was always my favorite. January 2002... I had a date and my friend showed me the ruins website when I arrived to pick 'er up. "Wow! That is COOL!" Guess that's how and when I started reading D Yes. Obviously things are much different these days and much more contentious. There are a few who currently demonstrate the spirit of what this discussion board used to be about, thank heaven's. Nowaday's I do more reading and shaking my head, rolling my eyeballs, and sighing. Rock on!

Everything changes a bit for sure. Nice to hear from you GGs!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-05-18 at 10:44 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast