Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I followed a forum thread discussing what might happen when Y2K rolls around.

There are likely forum members who were not yet born when The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit was created.

Last edited by 48202; July-13-18 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane....

Gnome... I miss your Apple Pie!! Blueyedone... I miss your Sand Pail Pudding!! Kathleen... I miss everything off the grill!!

I remember razzing Jjaba about the Westside/Eastside rivalry... and how the west siders [[used to their grid plan street system) would come to the east side and see everything is not right angles and grid layout... and go screaming back to the west side!

One of the best threads ever is of more recent vintage... the "Midtown Vortex" thread. I still get a chuckle out of that one!

My profile says 2009 but I was here before that.

Since 2000.

I remember posting under my real name before the old system went poof. Since then I've posted items on the rare occasions when I actually know enough about the city to add something. Or when I can't control my urge to make a smart remark.

Long-time lurker, occasional poster. I'm pretty sure I've been around since the early 2000s.To me the interwebs wouldn't be the same without DetroitYes. Kudos to Lowell for birthing and fostering this gem.

Oh I remember that - I thought of it with all the stuff last week on Twitter about a new "Civil War". The Livonian War was much better.

I think I joined in 2005 or 06 but lurked before that.

I miss Gannon but there are others I don't miss... [[Karl anyone???)

Holla!!
    2003/2004 there was an DetYes addict in the office who turned me on. Thanks Lowell for a cool head and cool DetYes structure.

Says 2009, but I was here before that. Around 03-04 when I started posting here.

I think I've been here since about the time of the '09 changeover, which is not all that long after I returned to Detroit, but I lurked on the historical threads for years before that.

Before the 2009 change, but not sure when.
    Posted often, for several years, check the site maybe every month or so now.
    I'm cheap and old, stopped Detroit visits when it was no longer easy to park free on Beaubien and walk to four or five live music venues!
    Still hit Belle Isle and DIA often, but do not usually have much to contribute here, anymore.
    Hoping to see something from tponetom, though.
    Thank you, Lowell, for this site.

Looks like I was here at the March 2009 reset, too.

I started 4/22/09. I was wiz 40 when i started, now am pontiac 6000 in tribute to my favorite old car.

Started here in the pre-9/11 days. Became a regular and eventually drifted away. I do lurk from time to time, but not that often. I recall the days of Karl and Rasputin, especially when he said "I didn't lose shit" in one of the more memorable threads. Hard to keep up with the news because I am no longer in the area and haven't been for nearly a decade.

I think i've been around since 2004 or 2005. I mostly lurk around from time to time.

Attachment 36138
    In 2009 we had to switch to vBulletin software, couldn't transfer the member list and everyone had to sign up again, hence no dates before then. Almost all of the early-2009-dated members were members prior to that date.

That makes me the winner, as I was on here when they still used vacuum tubes and punch cards.

Attachment 36138
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-13-18 at 08:04 PM.

August 2006. I was a lurker who started out with the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit Tour. That led to viewing the forum until I saw a photo of a contemporary downtown building. Remembering seeing a much older picture of the same downtown scene, I posted the two side by side - my first post. My favorite poster was JJabba [[from the West Side).
    Last edited by oladub; July-17-18 at 09:35 PM.

Been a long time since I've posted. Recently came back to the site after a few years away. Met some good people. Miss some good people. Nice to be back in lurking mode.

I miss Ravine who joined 1-2006; RIP dude

I so miss Sumas, and those spats with Ghettopalmetto! Fun threads that English used to start.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-14-18 at 05:13 PM.

A quick search on atdetroit.net reveals my original join date as August 2006! The website was already 9 years old and the leading resource for Detroit news and development. Back then almost no one could’ve forseen the city’s progress today. MCS, Packard, Wurlitzer and Metropolitan Buildings were long considered goners that would surely be demolished, Kwame and the Super Bowl were in full swing, the Bankruptcy was a looming but distant possibility, and the Riverwalk plan was just in its early stages. Most people figured downtown would always be a desolate wasteland that had little hope of overcoming massive disinvestment and abandonment. If someone would’ve told me back then that by 2020 100+ buildings downtown would be restored with plans for MCS and Packard in the works, neighborhood investment increasing, and a street car line down Woodward, I would’ve laughed them out of the room!

I was on the old forum so must be around 10 years.

Before the forum switch. Probably sometime in 2007.

Since winter 2004-2005 when I was at WSU, the Super Bowl planning was all the rage, and we didn't know Dan Gilbert would ever be a developer here.

Not posting more than once a month here, but still a frequent stop to get the real scoop on a story/development. Thanks Lowell.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast