Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Was there some type of event planned involving the boat or was that my imagination?

"I'd say it's wishful thinking."

I'd say so, too. Not because it's impossible, but because I can't imagine a use for the boat in which it could sustain itself.

That seems to have been the problem ever since the amusement park closed. The boats didn't attract enough attention as stationary relics to pay the cost of restoration. It might be possible to construct modern upper works on the hulk of the Ste. Claire, but you'd have to sell a LOT of tickets to pay for the massive maintenance and operating cost. Remember these things need crews of licensed mariners.

I hope the owners of the other boat in New York have better luck. There just might be enough demand for cruises on the Hudson to sustain it there.

Perhaps the best that can be hoped for at this point is to remove and re-erect the steam engine at the Dossin Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    "I'd say it's wishful thinking."

I'd say so, too. Not because it's impossible, but because I can't imagine a use for the boat in which it could sustain itself.

That seems to have been the problem ever since the amusement park closed. The boats didn't attract enough attention as stationary relics to pay the cost of restoration. It might be possible to construct modern upper works on the hulk of the Ste. Claire, but you'd have to sell a LOT of tickets to pay for the massive maintenance and operating cost. Remember these things need crews of licensed mariners.

I hope the owners of the other boat in New York have better luck. There just might be enough demand for cruises on the Hudson to sustain it there.

Perhaps the best that can be hoped for at this point is to remove and re-erect the steam engine at the Dossin Museum.
    I was reading the survey on the SS United States that was commissioned by a cruise line,they were saying that it would need to be re-powered because steam power and passengers are not allowed anymore?

If that is the case i wonder if it would have also been a requirement for this one.
    Last edited by Richard; July-09-18 at 02:51 PM.

I've also heard restrictions on steam powered transportation. It has affected some historic railroad locomotives too.

I see no purpose in trying to rebuild this ship. It was a semi-worthy restoration. This would now be a full rebuild and would never have the character of the original. Time to let it pass.

Maybe the owner should have had a GoFundMe before it burned instead of only after it. It took so many years to get done the progress he did make; I can't imagine how long it would take now. I wonder how much insurance will pay. It was insured, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Maybe the owner should have had a GoFundMe before it burned instead of only after it. It took so many years to get done the progress he did make; I can't imagine how long it would take now. I wonder how much insurance will pay. It was insured, right?
    If I remember correctly there were some attempts at fundraising for the reconstruction over the years and I highly doubt it was insured. Getting anyone to underwrite a policy for anything more than the initial purchase price probably would have been difficult.

Were I an insurance underwriter, I'd tell the client, "sink 'er."

As far as I know, the issue of steam power is more along the lines of what to do with the fly ash that's left over, at least with coal burners.

This was the issue that almost stopped the S.S. Badger on it's Lake Michigan runs.

The issue with the S.S. United States MAY have been one regarding her upper decks being made of wood. Wooden superstructureare illegal on passenger steamers with overnight accomodations. That's what drove the S.S. South American in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    This is really sad. I worked on the boat as a DJ during the summer of '84. Hated the gig but loved being part of the whole Boblo tradition. Contrary to what others might think, we could not get off the boat. There were days that we waited all day on board for the evening return trip. $5 an hour. Just loved those old boats. I hope sister Columbia returns to our waters someday.
    I guess it is wishful thinking to try to convince the Columbia owners to sell or return the Columbia to Detroit. If you check out their website, they have some notable shakers on their Boards, and are proceeding with necessary funding and
    repairs before towing her to NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    As far as I know, the issue of steam power is more along the lines of what to do with the fly ash that's left over, at least with coal burners.

This was the issue that almost stopped the S.S. Badger on it's Lake Michigan runs.

The issue with the S.S. United States MAY have been one regarding her upper decks being made of wood. Wooden superstructureare illegal on passenger steamers with overnight accomodations. That's what drove the S.S. South American in 1968.
    S.S United States is riveted Steel hull with aluminum superstructure above the water line,they had wood floors that were layover for looks.

The company that had the survey stated,steam propulsion regulations,the riveted hull so it would have had to been dry docked and checked yearly,and the actual superstructure moved forward because line of site in passenger related vessels from the observation and control deck regulations changed.

A lot changed when the S.S. Norway cruise ship blew up at the Miami docks in 2002 killing 4 injuring 22,they do not actually outlaw persey just regulate everything to death in the interest of public safety,but yet there are still steam engine passenger trains and ships in other countries that still perform daily S.S. United States top speed is still classified and holds the record after all of these years.

That was my wondering mind that if this boat would have been required to re-power it may have just ended up being a dock restaurant.But the owner would have been more up on that.

My boat is Break Out Another Thousand I can only imagine what the bolo boats reconstruction costs are,mention marine and a $5 part becomes a $100 part.

It is sad because it clearly meant a lot to many or maybe not enough.
    Last edited by Richard; July-09-18 at 11:02 PM.

Were you aware there was a 3rd Boblo boat. It sailed from Wyandotte eliminating the need to drive to downtown Detroit for those from the downriver comunities.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/news/wy...56110fbec.html

^^ Well, if you want to go into that, there were four if you count service from Amherstburg, which is apparently still running a regular schedule:

http://boblo.ca/amherstburg-ferry-company/

To add to that, I believe there were actually five, as I believe there was also one that served Gibraltar.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    To add to that, I believe there were actually five, as I believe there was also one that served Gibraltar.
    This article substantiates that.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/news/gi...e3c01dedb.html

I thought that was the same one from Wyandotte.

MLive revisits the island in 2017:

https://www.mlive.com/travel/index.s...d_now_see.html

^ that was pretty cool,the kids look like they were having fun without a cell phone in site.

Wikipedia already has an update

The Ste. Clair was completely destroyed in a fire while docked on the Detroit River on July 6, 2018. The fire could not be contained and it was declared a total loss. The future of the hull is currently unknown, but it will most likely be scrapped.[2] [3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois_B...land_[[Ontario)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ that was pretty cool,the kids look like they were having fun without a cell phone in site.

Wikipedia already has an update

The Ste. Clair was completely destroyed in a fire while docked on the Detroit River on July 6, 2018. The fire could not be contained and it was declared a total loss. The future of the hull is currently unknown, but it will most likely be scrapped.[2] [3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois_B...land_[[Ontario)
    More history...erased.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Historically, there were more than 5.
    Serving Detroit:
    Promise Columbia and St. Claire
    Gibraltar, Tecumseh, Pappoose 1, then Pappoose III, IV from Gibraltar and Amhurstberg [[sp)
    Other boats from other cities were also possible.

As long as there's hope

Better do it now before Jay Leno snaps it up. Among others, he owns a massive 1840's steam engine once owned by Henry Ford and acquired from The Henry Ford.

He really is a steam fanatic.

^ funny you brought that up,I was watching a car show with his Howard Hugh's steam car,they were driving it and you could not hear it run,it uses 1 gallon of water in the whole steam system at one time.

Direct drive and he figured 1000 ft # of tourqe.

He has a poster on the wall from back when,it was telling people about the nasty gas driven automobiles and to buy clean steam,his massive tractor in comparison takes 300 gallons of water,when they put it up against a 4 engine truck in the pull contest the tractor pulled it across the track.

Pretty cool stuff,I am sure the fossil fuel companies hate steam power.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am sure the fossil fuel companies hate steam power.
    Fossil fuel is required to boil the water to make steam. Steam car technology peaked with the Doble roadster you mentioned ... complex in many ways, expensive compared to gasoline engines, cranky to maintain, with more than a dozen steps required just to start the car -- and that was peak state-of-the-art. Here's Jay Leno discussing his Doble roadster that Howard Hughes owned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo

Boblo boats were built in early 20th Century, when steam was king.

A little late getting this topic. Sad to see the old Ste Claire burning. Here's The Current Boblo Boat "Go Fund Me" page...

Official Boblo Boat Restoration Fund
    https://www.gofundme.com/the-officia...at-restoration

Enjoy! ^_^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast