Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default History: MacArthur Bridge naming

In a conversation with Mrs. Gnome I said that the MacArthur Bridge got its name circa 1952 when the General made a swing through Detroit.

Subsequent googling revealed I was full of hooey.

Wikipedia, Detroit1701, HistoricDetroit.org all say the Belle Isle Bridge was renamed MacArthur Bridge in 1942.

My plate of crow, while delicious, ain’t very satisfying.
    Last edited by gnome; June-30-18 at 05:57 AM.

It has also never officially been named the Belle Isle Bridge. It originally was called the George Washington Bridge before being renamed the MacArthur Bridge. I’ve always found that an interesting fact. One of the few places around here I can think of that’s known more commonly by an unofficial name than it’s actual name.

In my head I was convinced that MacArthur came to Detroit on a publicity tour after being fired by Truman.

I was so convinced that I added in a little trivia: Only a handful of fans witnessed Virgil Trucks No-Hitter because everyone was jamming into Cadillac Sq to watch Mac get the key to the city.

When I was proven to be a bald-faced liar Mrs. Gnome rightly asked where did I come up with such nonsense.

I took the manly way out and blamed DetroitYes.

Ain’t he also the guy who came up with the modern equivalent of Detroit’s original motto: "We shall indeed return, full blast, et al." [[?)

Ha!

I bet MacArthur picked American over Lafayette too.

Nice history of the bridge here
    In 1932, it was proposed that the bridge be named after George Washington, but 10 years later, the Common Council chose instead to rename the landmark the Douglas MacArthur Bridge, in honor of the American military commander.
    http://historicdetroit.org/building/...arthur-bridge/

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post

Great post, JC. Though factual, I still wonder what compelled the Council to name it after McArthur?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-30-18 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post

Great post, JC. Though factual, I still wonder what compelled the Council to name it after McArthur? Seems like an odd choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

My plate of crow, while delicious, ain’t very satisfying.
    I've had that meal a few times myself, gnome. Little Heinz 57 seems to help.

Subsequent googling revealed I was full of hooey.
    A reveal to be well heeded by those posting on this Forum.

Thanks gnome.
    Last edited by Bigb23; June-30-18 at 05:44 PM.

I wonder if Douglas MacArthur ever visited Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Great post, JC. Though factual, I still wonder what compelled the Council to name it after McArthur?
    Kathy somebody said he was born there?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Kathy somebody said he was born there?
    According to this bio it was AR.

Douglas MacArthur was an American five-star general and Field Marshal of the Philippine Army. He was Chief of Staff of the United States Army during the 1930s and played a prominent role in the Pacific theater during World War II. Wikipedia
    Born: January 26, 1880, Little Rock, AR
    Died: April 5, 1964, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda
    Height: 6′ 0″
    Spouse: Jean MacArthur [[m. 1937–1964),

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    In my head I was convinced that MacArthur came to Detroit on a publicity tour after being fired by Truman.

I was so convinced that I added in a little trivia: Only a handful of fans witnessed Virgil Trucks No-Hitter because everyone was jamming into Cadillac Sq to watch Mac get the key to the city.

When I was proven to be a bald-faced liar Mrs. Gnome rightly asked where did I come up with such nonsense.

I took the manly way out and blamed DetroitYes.
    Although the main fact was wrong, the trivia was right. MacArthur visited Detroit after being fired by Truman, to try to drum up support for a Presidential bid. He gave his speech to 100,000 in Cadillac Square, while just over 2000 saw Trucks' no hitter. Info here.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Great post, JC. Though factual, I still wonder what compelled the Council to name it after McArthur? Seems like an odd choice.
    Mac was a huge war hero in WWII, so it really wouldn't have been an odd choice back then. In early '42 he was ordered to leave the Phillippines by Roosevelt but instead was going to resign his commission and fight on as an enlisted man, but was talked out of it. These are the kinds of things that made him larger than life. That and he really knew how to "play the room". A lot of people really loved the guy during the war.
    He also got the Medal of Honor that year

The WWII General is also associated with a footnote in pop music culture:

"MacArthur Park is melting in the dark . .all the sweet green icing flowing down"

In addition to the bridge to Belle Isle, Los Angeles' Westlake Park was renamed in his honour after the war as well, although the surrounding neighbourhood is still referred to as "Westlake" by natives.