Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Klinger St.

Default Klinger St.

Why is Klinger Street in Detroit just north of Hamtramck a street? It looks more like an alley..

Attachment 36027

Perhaps it once looked like a street.

It is further south. Just north of Hamtramck - between Carpenter and Davison - it is lined with houses.

Had a Aunt that lived on Klinger, south of 7 Mile, from the mid 50's to the late 90's before she passed away. right down the street from Pershing HS. Working class neighborhood, had decent houses.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-25-18 at 11:25 PM.

I think they just kept the name based on the street grid. Farther south, it's a full fledged street, but it becomes a back alley for a couple of miles [[garages back to it), then it's back to houses for a while. How it was used probably depended on who was developing each neighborhood.

The part in question is really several blocks north of Hamtramck, running from Davison to just north of Six Mile. It does look very much like an alley, but is mapped and signposted as Kinger St. Odd.

How peculiar! This is evidently the 13400 block of Klinger and I can't find anything that was ever there....ever!

Gibbs Machines says Klinger Street is NOT an alley

Name:  Screenshot [[74).jpg
Views: 602
Size:  74.6 KB

GREAT photo, Dan! [[with the double "i" in "machines")

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    Gibbs Machines says Klinger Street is NOT an alley

Name:  Screenshot [[74).jpg
Views: 602
Size:  74.6 KB

Well if Gibbs Machiines says it's a street, then it's a street!

Ass because there used to be addresses on that stretch. On the street where I live in an old neighborhood of Montreal, the alleys are streets for that reason. In fact, new houses were built fronting on what looks and serves as an alley for most properties. Some folks buy houses on a proper looking street and build out in back to rent or sell new houses on land that was once a backyard.

There are several "streets' within Detroit that are like that. Off the top of my head I know that Belden Street North of McNkchols looks very much like an alley, along with Barham Street near Outer Drive on the east sides.