Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Livingstone Street?

The 1917 Detroit city directory lists someone I'm researching at 27 Livingstone. According to the Steve Morse street re-name page, Indiana became Livingstone, but Google maps isn't showing a Livingstone. Did Livingstone turn back into what is now Indiana? Or is it a completely different street?

Livingstone St. [[often incorrectly listed as Livingston St.) was a short street on the east side that ran 4 blocks from Beaubien to Russell about 2 blocks north of where Mack is today. It was once named Indiana, but has no relationship with the Indiana St. that exists today on the west side.

27 Livingstone [[559 Livingstone after 1921) would have been located on the north side of the block between Beaubien and St. Antoine, across the street from what was then the Abraham Lincoln School. That address would today be under Spain Middle School. But, interestingly, the Livingstone St. portion of Abraham Lincoln, constructed in 1916, is still standing today, connected to Spain.

Here is a fascinating story about the history of Abraham Lincoln School, viewed in the context of DPS's troubled history.
    https://detroitdemocrat.net/2016/05/...y-to-dps-woes/
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-26-18 at 01:29 PM.

I know it has to happen to accommodate large institutional buildings and infrastructure, but I hate the deterioration of the old street grid caused by freeway, "urban renewal" and DMC construction in that area.

What is the unnamed street just north of Spain that runs from Beaubien east to the I-75 South service drive? Is that Illinois Street?

Did Livingstone Street turn into St Joseph Street going east, or was it aligned farther north?

"Did Livingstone Street turn into St Joseph Street going east, or was it aligned farther north?"

My 1973 paper map shows "Livingston" Street meeting Russell just south of St. Joseph, a block north of Mack Avenue. Or maybe the street name changed at Riopelle--can't tell from the map typography.

Thanks very much, guys! I figured the Livingstone I was looking for wasn't what is currently Indiana, since that was likely too far out for housing in 1917, but couldn't find anything about it in the searches I was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    What is the unnamed street just north of Spain that runs from Beaubien east to the I-75 South service drive? Is that Illinois Street?

Did Livingstone Street turn into St Joseph Street going east, or was it aligned farther north?
    I think that street must be Illinois. It seems to align with where Illinois St. would have been in the old grid. Odd though that that little piece of street has no name on any current maps I see, and also seems to have no street signs. It also seems to be gated for the eastern half of the block in front of the WSU Tolan medical building and the new velodrome.

According to the 1915 Detroit map, Livingstone St. and Brady St. both used to end at Russell. St. Joseph St. started east of Russell between those 2 streets [[south of Livingstone and north of Brady), then jogged a little to the north at Riopelle.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I think that street must be Illinois. It seems to align with where Illinois St. would have been in the old grid.
    Wow, Al, stellar researching, as per usual! I did, however, find this want ad from the Feb. 23, 1901 Detroit Free Press. I like how the ad indicates he's sober.

Name:  27 Livingstone -Detroit_Free_Press_Sat__Feb_23__1901_.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  25.0 KB