Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Comerica Park Renovation?

Appears that Comerica Park will get some sort of renovation in the near future.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ful-renovation

My only two caveats is that the public not pay for this renovation and second, there needs to be a bigger monument park and museum [[plus RETIRE LOU'S NUMBER ALREADY).

Thoughts?

They are looking at what other teams have done recently - more expensive seating around home plate, more bars, clubs, etc. to increase revenue. Teams have really cashed in on the fact that lots of young people would rather stand and socialize [[i.e. drink) than pay attention to the game.

Honestly, I'm surprised those comments resulted in an article. They were general and vague and, with the Ilitches track record, unlikely to result in any change to the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    RETIRE LOU'S NUMBER ALREADY
    Alan Trammell's number shouldn't have been retired even a second before Lou Whitaker's. They were as close a duo as ever there was, and were equally great. In recognition of that, they should have been retired together. I realize only Trammell has so far been inducted into the baseball hall of fame, but Lou better get there too, and Whitaker's number is now worn by someone else, but the Tigers organization should've known better.
    Last edited by bust; June-23-18 at 09:58 PM.

Heard through the grapevine that part of these renovations may include taking out the entire suite level. I’m sure they’re looking to replace it with something more along the lines of the champions club.

Since the Tigers SUCKS even the concrete in every floor in Comerica Park is cracking and deteriorating, too. Talking about a almost 20 year old ball park.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    with the Ilitches track record, unlikely to result in any change to the park.
    Amen, 1953.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Heard through the grapevine that part of these renovations may include taking out the entire suite level. I’m sure they’re looking to replace it with something more along the lines of the champions club.
    This doesn't surprise me in the least. I am a bit of a baseball fanatic, and have been to 26 of the 30 MLB parks. I try and hit at least one new stadium every summer, and take the "behind the scenes" ballpark tour if the stadium offers it. As such, I have toured probably 20 or so MLB stadiums, and have seen the suites, club levels, etc. offered at a bunch of other ballparks.

To be blunt, from my expereince Comerica Park might just be the worst in MLB in terms of Suite Level quality and amenities. In fact, I can't think of more than one MLB ballpark I have visited [[toured) that I can comparatively say that CoPa has a nicer luxury area. Comerica just has suites, no club level, and essentially no "luxury club" on the lower level behind home plate. Oakland Coliseum is probably the one that is worse, but they don't offer ballpark tours.

Don't get me wrong, as a blue collar traditional baseball fan I couldn't really care less about the quality of the suites, or how fancy the club level is. But the realist in me knows those things generate $$$ from the people [[or rather corporations) that can afford to utilize them. And Comerica is well behind all the Jones' in that regard.
    Last edited by Atticus; June-26-19 at 08:32 PM.

Anybody who thinks Comerica Park is a better place to watch a baseball game then Tiger Stadium was needs to have their head examined.

I really don't give a rat's ass what they do as long as it doesn't come out of the taxpayer's pocketbook.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Anybody who thinks Comerica Park is a better place to watch a baseball game then Tiger Stadium was needs to have their head examined.
    I think the difference now is that many people go to the ballpark to be at a baseball game rather than to actually watch a baseball game. In the case of the Tigers this year, neither.

Oh, I generally agree. But years back I talked to some folks in the know who stated that the supporting steel girders at old Tiger [[nee Briggs, nee Navin) Stadium were in danger of totally rusting out. Repairs would have cost more than a new ball park. Ya gotta "follow the money", gang.

Alas, 70 years from now, Comerica will likely be in the same shape. But since I'm 82, I don't really plan to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Oh, I generally agree. But years back I talked to some folks in the know who stated that the supporting steel girders at old Tiger [[nee Briggs, nee Navin) Stadium were in danger of totally rusting out. Repairs would have cost more than a new ball park. Ya gotta "follow the money", gang.
    Fair point, I just wish Comerica felt more like a ballpark than a baseball theme park, with the ferris wheel, carousel, video boards and constant in-game entertainment. I prefer the classic atmosphere, like Wrigley or Fenway and the bandbox feel of Tiger Stadium was unique, while CoPa is very generic.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Fair point, I just wish Comerica felt more like a ballpark than a baseball theme park, with the ferris wheel, carousel, video boards and constant in-game entertainment. I prefer the classic atmosphere, like Wrigley or Fenway and the bandbox feel of Tiger Stadium was unique, while CoPa is very generic.
    Well said!

Hell, even Camden Yards in Baltimore feels like an old time stadium.

I wonder if its name will be changing next year. Comerica was granted the naming rights for 20 years and this is the 20th year of the stadium. Didn't the head office of Comerica Bank leave Detroit recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Embee View Post
    I wonder if its name will be changing next year. Comerica was granted the naming rights for 20 years and this is the 20th year of the stadium. Didn't the head office of Comerica Bank leave Detroit recently?
    From the article linked in the first post:

The naming rights were bought by Dallas-based Comerica Bank, which pays the team $2.2 million a year until 2028 as part of a 30-year, $66 million deal inked in 1998. In January, the bank opted to extend the deal another five years, through 2034. The current deal was set to expire Dec. 31, 2029.

Comerica also has the naming rights to the nearly 5000 seat Comerica Theater [[modern building) in Phoenix, so where the HQ is located often has little to do with naming rights.

While I appreciate the sentiment, that's a little harsh. I loved Tiger Stadium from the first time I walked through one of the upper deck gangways and saw the brilliant green outfield. I loved the center field bleachers and how close you were to the field, even in the upper deck. Also, I could see and track the ball much better than at Comerica Park. That said, it had its faults. From an upper deck seat in the outfield, you couldn't see the outfielder in front of you, and sometimes the center fielder. The posts were quaint, until your view actually was obstructed by one. And, the restrooms were antiquated.

I've never really warmed up to Comerica Park with its huge outfield and the fact that it faces the wrong direction; but, I think people tend to romanticize Tiger Stadium a bit.

Tiger Stadium vs Comerica Park is like dinner at grandma's vs the Olive Garden. Then again my grandma was born in Sicily.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Tiger Stadium vs Comerica Park is like dinner at grandma's vs the Olive Garden. Then again my grandma was born in Sicily.
    Grandma wins every time...

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    ....a baseball theme park, with the ferris wheel, carousel, video boards and constant in-game entertainment.....
    As I remember when it was new, the statements being made about these extras, was that they were necessary to draw in fans, especially those with kids. They stated fans were demanding these amenities. Other parks were installing similar things. The Tigers felt they had to have these to compete. Much of that, I think, was a fad going on new parks at the time. Personally, I think as long as you have a winning team on the field, the fans will come.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    As I remember when it was new, the statements being made about these extras, was that they were necessary to draw in fans, especially those with kids. They stated fans were demanding these amenities. Other parks were installing similar things. The Tigers felt they had to have these to compete. Much of that, I think, was a fad going on new parks at the time. Personally, I think as long as you have a winning team on the field, the fans will come.
    Yes, you wouldn't want them going to Wrigley Field instead of Comerica Park.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    When they opened Comerica, and for several years after the Tigers had no baseball to sell. Then came Pudge and Jim Leyland.

I am fortunate to have traveled to about 20 MLB ballparks. Comerica Park is not bad. It is not at the top of the list, but it is certainly nowhere near the bottom [[Toronto, Miami, Chi-Sox, Arizona, new Atlanta, etc.)

I have brought plenty of out of towners through that have raved about their Comerica Park experience. When the Tigers are winning it is a great ballpark. When they are losing it is an average ballpark to pass some time in.

Those of us old enough to have fond memories of Tiger Stadium will always have skewed judgement. That is what nostalgia does. Its not a bad thing. But we also should not act like CoPa is a bad ballpark.

Az for a renovation, I hope it happens. The new scoreboard and improved bars have done a lot to help the fan experience. Now a fresh paint scheme, repairs to concrete and improved seating areas will help improve an average ballpark to an above average ballpark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast