Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Keith Crain gets owned

Detroit is NO LONGER the motor city - accept it - it's over

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...n#.WypzoKdKiUl

................the best is at the end of the article

I wouldn't say the Motor City moniker is dead, but Keith Crain's article is him whining and throwing a tantrum that he no longer can do 60 mph on Jefferson in his Cadillac CTS.

Angry old man yells at bicycle cloud.

Detroit MUST - move past his mindset and those like him - to evolve.
    We are no longer number one in the world, face it, swallow it, move on.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Detroit MUST - move past his mindset and those like him - to evolve.
    We are no longer number one in the world, face it, swallow it, move on.
    Or here's an idea. Instead of ignoring those who don't think like you, consider respecting their opinions and ideas. Maybe they'll come around to your point of view. Or maybe you'll even come to understand theirs!

It became no longer the buggy manufacturing city with the advent of the motor car and now may evolve into something else.

It does not erase its past contributions to this country and the rest of the world,that should always be respected and honored.

Who cares if somebody wants to ride a bike to work or pleasure,thier taxes are paying for the use,so they retain the right.

It becomes a dangerous endeavor mixing with drivers not paying attention,if it takes bike lanes to save lives then lay them out,seat belts are required to save lives why should bike safety measures be less relevant.
    Last edited by Richard; June-20-18 at 11:49 AM.

Detroit will always be known as the "Motor City" even if it's no longer true.

I think the difference is world wide Detroit=The American automobile where as New York = New York,at best Ellis island for generations past.

I guess the ability to actually attach an object to the name that one can touch and feel,verses just a name.

I have no idea what this thread is discussing.

What does an article discussing Keith Crain's reaction to a bike lane on Jefferson Ave. have to do with the relative viability of the primary economic base of Metro Detroit?

Re. the lane, Crain is right that there will be few bikes, and it's probably a waste and symbolic gesture trying to copy cities with actual demand for bike lanes [[Detroit tends to follow other cities, just five years later, and with, ahem, differing results). The Lower East Side of Detroit is largely empty and dangerous, and you kinda need people to have bikers.

That said, who gives a crap? Doesn't really harm drivers. Jefferson is never congested and DPD doesn't monitor speed limits. So it takes 2 more minutes to drive in from GP Farms.

The silliest bike lanes are in Warren. Have yet to see a rider. I'm sure that the sagging bungalow blocks of South Warren are a real hotbed of the urban biker set. The Macomb seniors don't seem to understand how to turn across a bike lane, so potential biker beware.
    Last edited by Bham1982; June-20-18 at 12:27 PM.

^ define "cannot see the forest for the trees"

Bham raises a good point; I am pro-bike lane myself, but that doesn't mean we should recklessly turn every street in Metro Detroit into a bike-friendly utopia... Same thing with mass transit; I am for it, but that doesn't mean I automatically support every mass transit bill that sees the light of day.

DETROIT: a place where residents walk down the middle of the street because sidewalks limit visibility of incoming attackers

DETROIT: where you can run every red light on hamilton on up to mcnichols after bar close cause there are no other cars

DETROIT: jefferson avg speed is 55 in a 35 cause its 10 f'ing lanes wide

DETROIT: where ppl complain about gentrification and bike lanes, while foreclosures/evictions/property seizures, crime and violence are still sky high

^ today okay,but a city also needs to look at 5,10,20 years down the road or bike path,7 years ago it was the city was never going to recover but yet here you are little by little,nothing wrong with being proactive.

A so called ""journalist"" definitely can't find the pulse of the city.
    A huge ""communications empire"" blinded by the myths of the past.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...ivcapId=866856

How about reporting on the FACTS as they are now, currently, today ;
    -- and skip all that nostalgistic jazz of a time long gone by the wayside

Median income in Detroit is something like $25,000
    and it's running a 40% poverty rate the last few years.
    All 670,000 folks are not rushing out and grabbing a new car note.
    Detroit is about 138 square miles large. Everything is spread out wide.

You put in bike lanes for the idiots and they still bike
    in the car lanes. You can't win.

Idiots PARK in the bike lanes, just like they PARK in the Q route line.
    Tough to win when the coin drops 50/50 on either side

There's no such thing as a "car lane" per Michigan state law. A cyclist can still ride in the street legally, even if a bike lane is present. But please, keep lecturing us idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I wouldn't say the Motor City moniker is dead, but Keith Crain's article is him whining and throwing a tantrum that he no longer can do 60 mph on Jefferson in his Cadillac CTS.

Angry old man yells at bicycle cloud.
    Its funny I never thought it was the Motor City because we loved our automobiles. For me it was because we put the "world on wheels" with our manufacturing prowess. I can see his grousing about having to drive at more pedestrian speeds on E. Jefferson but its time to suck it up and get used to sharing the road.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    There's no such thing as a "car lane" per Michigan state law. A cyclist can still ride in the street legally, even if a bike lane is present. But please, keep lecturing us idiots.
    You may want to check the local ordinances. They vary from city to city.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Or here's an idea. Instead of ignoring those who don't think like you, consider respecting their opinions and ideas. Maybe they'll come around to your point of view. Or maybe you'll even come to understand theirs!
    In reality, there are simply some ideas and opinion that are so extreme or unrealistic that they don't deserve respect and should be ignored/ridiculed.

DETROIT: a place where residents walk down the middle of the street because sidewalks limit visibility of incoming attackers Really? I thought it was because so few people shovel their sidewalks and/or the condition of the sidewalks is worse than the street. I see this much more frequently in winter than summer.

DETROIT: where you can run every red light on hamilton on up to mcnichols after bar close cause there are no other cars 80% of that stretch is in Highland Park, but point taken. Pet peeve of mine is those who run red lights, roll through stop signs and speed down streets [[and ride their bikes on the sidewalk or the wrong way in the bike lane). It's so disrespectful. I love that road diets and bike lanes slow down surface street traffic. I don't care how wide and desolate they are...they're not your personal freeways.

DETROIT: jefferson avg speed is 55 in a 35 cause its 10 f'ing lanes wide See above

DETROIT: where ppl complain about gentrification and bike lanes, while foreclosures/evictions/property seizures, crime and violence are still sky high Agreed

DETROIT: a place where residents walk down the middle of the street because sidewalks limit visibility of incoming attackers Really? I thought it was because so few people shovel their sidewalks and/or the condition of the sidewalks is worse than the street. I see this much more frequently in winter than summer.

No, people in Detroit pretty much use the streets for walking, even in nice neighborhoods, where the sidewalks have been kept under repair, and ARE shoveled in the Winter.

DETROIT: where you can run every red light on hamilton on up to mcnichols after bar close cause there are no other cars 80% of that stretch is in Highland Park, but point taken. Pet peeve of mine is those who run red lights, roll through stop signs and speed down streets [[and ride their bikes on the sidewalk or the wrong way in the bike lane). It's so disrespectful. I love that road diets and bike lanes slow down surface street traffic. I don't care how wide and desolate they are...they're not your personal freeways.

And they're also not your personal bike paths.

DETROIT: jefferson avg speed is 55 in a 35 cause its 10 f'ing lanes wide See above

Also the terms right-of-way, share the road, STOP, red lights, or "bike lane", don't mean much to kiddies on bikes.

DETROIT: where ppl complain about gentrification and bike lanes, while foreclosures/evictions/property seizures, crime and violence are still sky high Agreed Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Also the terms right-of-way, share the road, STOP, red lights, or "bike lane", don't mean much to kiddies on bikes.
    They also don't mean much to many drivers in Detroit either. Let's run red lights, weave in and out of traffic usually doing 10 over [[my family calls that the Woodward School of Driving), doing 55 in a 35, parking in bike lanes, use one wide lane as two lanes and come up on you on the right doing 55 in a 35, and the oh so many scents of mary jane I've smelled while driving.

That's Pure Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    They also don't mean much to many drivers in Detroit either. Let's run red lights, weave in and out of traffic usually doing 10 over [[my family calls that the Woodward School of Driving), doing 55 in a 35, parking in bike lanes, use one wide lane as two lanes and come up on you on the right doing 55 in a 35, and the oh so many scents of mary jane I've smelled while driving.

That's Pure Detroit.

Agreed ...

No one really focusing on Keith Crain, huh ?
    Next time I'll just post another title as Bike Thread number ____

^ So was it your intent to bash Mr Crain as an individual or how his opinion differs on what others opinions are?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast